Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 12:54 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Story said Fairfield county lost 900 people, but it says that's not a long term trend.

GE hq relo was likely 44% of it, if we assume 2 person per household average.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
GE hq relo was likely 44% of it, if we assume 2 person per household average.
But GE only relocated 200 employees. Most of the rest remain in our state.

I think a part of this too is that a Connecticuts highly educated population is not having larger families. I only know two families that have three kids. The rest only have one or two. I don't know anyone that wants more than that. Jay

Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
But GE only relocated 200 employees. Most of the rest remain in our state.

I think a part of this too is that a Connecticuts highly educated population is not having larger families. I only know two families that have three kids. The rest only have one or two. I don't know anyone that wants more than that. Jay
200 employees * 2/household = 400 relos.

400/900 = 44% of FFC loss

Nationally families are small now, but other regions net more state-state gains than they lose. The Northeast loses net state-state migration. It isn't just retirees, but NE loses in the younger age groups, too.

It's a significant problem as soon Ct will lose another Congressman, andit will mean 1/3rd less representation in DC vs 25 years ago.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
There are numerous unfilled, good-paying opportunities in manufacturing and the trades for skilled labor right here in Connecticut. Employers are begging. It largely falls on deaf ears at the state level. CT continues to cut funding to the state technical programs and the State Department of Education continues to push a curriculum that primarily steers students toward a college path whether or not that path is the best match for a student's aptitude, interests and motivation. It is self-fulfilling. If employers cannot recruit the spectrum of employees they need locally they will look elsewhere. Manufacturing depends on skilled labor as well as engineers and other college-educated employees. You cannot run a manufacturing plant with nobody to do the manufacturing.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:53 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Who moving to CT

Mainly Fairfield County where NYers are moving to

Gained Wealth From:
$7.62 billion New York
$716.35 million New Jersey
$120.53 million Illinois
$115.71 million Michigan
$9.22 million Nebraska

Where CT residents moving to

Lost Wealth To:
$8.80 billion Florida
$1.55 billion North Carolina
$1.44 billion Massachusetts
$1.14 billion California
$1.07 billion Texas

I wonder why CT seeing increase in Illinois and Michigan residents ? CT is 3rd in place where NY State residents moving to after New Jersey and Florida

IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown

Last edited by BPt111; 03-26-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 09:26 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
The wealth from the Midwest is likely related to a combo of factors. Trinity Health is based in Michigan and has recently expanded its footprint to include CT hospitals like St Francis. Aetna bought Coventry, which had executive leadership in the Midwest, a few years back.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Who moving to CT

Gained Wealth From:
$7.62 billion New York
$120.53 million Illinois
$115.71 million Michigan
$9.22 million Nebraska

Lost Wealth To:
$8.80 billion Florida
$1.14 billion California
$1.07 billion Texas

I wonder why CT seeing increase in Illinois and Michigan residents ? CT is 3rd in place where NY State residents moving to after New Jersey and Florida

IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown
None of this is news really. The loss of wealth to Florida and North Carolina has been going on for decades and most likely attributed to retirees seeking warmer climates. We have always had a back and forth relationship with Massachusetts as well. California and Texas are high likely because they are such larges states. I am pretty sure the same could be said about where we are getting wealth from. We have always drawn from New York and New Jersey and Illinois and Michigan have such large economies, it is not that surprising. Again nothing new. Jay

Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
None of this is news really. The loss of wealth to Florida and North Carolina has been going on for decades and most likely attributed to retirees seeking warmer climates. We have always had a back and forth relationship with Massachusetts as well. California and Texas are high likely because they are such larges states. I am pretty sure the same could be said about where we are getting wealth from. We have always drawn from New York and New Jersey and Illinois and Michigan have such large economies, it is not that surprising. Again nothing new. Jay
Surprising? no. New? No. A very big problem for the state? Yes. Even if we ignore the states myriad problems, and postulate for a second that retiree relocation is the only issue, than the problem is even worse. If all data pointed at a single problem, then policy can be so easily geared toward a resolution. I wish my personal and professional problems were so one dimensional. What has the state done to curb relocation of retirees? Nothing. They tax effing plastic bags and propose that it cost over $600 for my wife and I to renew our pistol license. Random acts of stupidity would be an appropriate description of CTs long term economic strategy. It's like they have a bingo wheel with the balls inside and a board full of random ideas submitted by 3rd grade liberals filling the coordinate boxes.

We are attracting millions and losing billions. The top 5 ends with a whopping 9 million, which vanished in the amount of time it took me to write this post. The net loss is incredible. The fact that it's not a surprise and ongoing for decades is only a greater testament to how pathetic the leaders of this state are.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Who moving to CT

Gained Wealth From:
$7.62 billion New York
$120.53 million Illinois
$115.71 million Michigan
$9.22 million Nebraska

Lost Wealth To:
$8.80 billion Florida
$1.14 billion California
$1.07 billion Texas

Incredible how many places on the map have FFC as a top 5 "gained wealth from."

Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Another blow for CT. Should put to rest the myth of high taxes causing these corporations to look elsewhere...nowadays talent is a big part of the equation.

UTC Picks New York City For $300 Million Expansion - Hartford Courant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut