Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I wonder if the slow layoffs are a ploy Malloy is using to get the unions back to the bargaining table? There may be things going on behind the scenes that we do not know about. Jay

I'm absolutely sure there are! Malloy at 24% approval-soon he will rival congress. Bet there are a lot of things he's doing behind the light

Old 06-08-2016, 06:51 PM

789 posts, read 702,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
I'm absolutely sure there are! Malloy at 24% approval-soon he will rival congress. Bet there are a lot of things he's doing behind the light
Don't disagree with the sentiment. However, the biggest FAIL in polling is the polling of "congress". You will find that people rate THEIR individual congressman much much higher than the body of congress which they are completely disconnected from. So for example, the congressman in your district is likely to poll 2x, 3x higher or even more than when asked the generic question: do you approve/disapprove of congress?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Job growth in MA is driven by the Boston area and is not a statewide phenomenon. Hampden County and Worcester County, our MA neighbors to the north within commuting distance, have unemployment rates of 7.1 and 6.9% respectively and recent job growth that is similar or worse than Connecticut (around 0.8%). I'm beginning to accept the theory that if you aren't within close proximity to one of the cities that are hot with millennials, you aren't thriving in the new economy.
I also was going to say the same thing. You go to Fall River, New Bedford, Lawrence or Springfield and it is the same thing. It definitely appears to be the city of Boston that is giving the state such good employment numbers. Jay

Old 06-08-2016, 07:36 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I also was going to say the same thing. You go to Fall River, New Bedford, Lawrence or Springfield and it is the same thing. It definitely appears to be the city of Boston that is giving the state such good employment numbers. Jay

Boston MTSA-not just the city-has a great economy. The MTSA population is approximately 4.73 million as of 2014. Or over a million more than Ct. MTSA's , in almost all cases, and city proper have similar economies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Boston

Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
States Adding (and Losing) the Most Jobs - 24/7 Wall St.

Where does ct place and what states are booming with most jobs and lowest unemployment

Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Don't disagree with the sentiment. However, the biggest FAIL in polling is the polling of "congress". You will find that people rate THEIR individual congressman much much higher than the body of congress which they are completely disconnected from. So for example, the congressman in your district is likely to poll 2x, 3x higher or even more than when asked the generic question: do you approve/disapprove of congress?
probably true that. but still what does it matter?

Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 PM

789 posts, read 702,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
probably true that. but still what does it matter?
Just means that if an individual political (in this case Malloy) achieves a "congress like" low approval it is multiple iterations worse because of the flawed way that polling data is interpreted.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:36 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
States Adding (and Losing) the Most Jobs - 24/7 Wall St.

Where does ct place and what states are booming with most jobs and lowest unemployment
Actually there was an article in the Boston Globe recently that noted that even the Boston suburbs are not doing as well as Boston itself. They noted that home sales and prices are lagging there even in a robust economy they are experiencing. With that said though, the article noted that this could be changing as more and more Millenials are just now beginning to follow the patterns of their parents and grandparents by starting families and moving to the suburbs. Jay

Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 PM

505 posts, read 428,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Yeah I was going to say this... I don't think there's that much going on outside of the Boston area, especially around the border. I don't think it's a millenial thing necessarily.

Realistically, for the average Joe state worker who has likely been in the same job for a few decades, they're going to have a hard time finding a job in the private sector. It's such a different hiring atmosphere. It's not the state's burden to hold onto them but I would def be scared if I were those workers.

That may be the case but it still provides options aside from the local Hartford economy.

In addition, the commute from parts of northern CT to Boston may be long (1-2 hours) but is still doable. There are people who commute to NY from New Haven, Milford and even the Valley or Northern Fairfield County.

It's not ideal but it does provide options for people who can look a bit further. And telecommuting provides more opportunities than ever before. Many employers are reasonable and would allow people with a farther commute to work from home or make it up on weekends, etc...

Most of the layoffs are occurring among younger employees so they have more flexibility to change careers and look for other options or even move.

Hartford cannot focus it's future job growth on state employment. It simply cannot!

That's why it's imperative for the state to take into consideration the people we are attracting.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:33 PM

505 posts, read 428,359 times
I agree with the idea that most of MA's job growth is concentrated in Boston, just as most of NY's growth in concentrated around Manhattan. Still there may be opportunities in Western MA- especially if employees are more educated and versatile.

On a side note-

I believe we'll soon be testing the theory of CT's weathering recessions better than others.

It's about time, or very close, for us (the entire country) to hit another recession. It's already been 7 years and historically speaking the time is fast approaching to hit another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut