Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM

503 posts, read 531,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
So what is the other side of the Tesla argument? It is pretty easy to see how the state law is restricting people from entering the market. But I can't find much information on those who support this law, other than car dealers of course, and what their reasons may be for keeping such a barrier.

Tesla, facing failure, raises the ante - Connecticut Post
The car dealers are useless middlemen but they have money and influence. Hopefully the promise of local jobs will overpower their lobbying efforts.

Whether you plan to buy one or not you've got to love how disruptive Tesla is to an industry that desperately needs disruption.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 AM

505 posts, read 428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
The car dealers are useless middlemen but they have money and influence. Hopefully the promise of local jobs will overpower their lobbying efforts.

Whether you plan to buy one or not you've got to love how disruptive Tesla is to an industry that desperately needs disruption.

Exactly!

Car dealers have inventory they need to sell and the promise of affordable electric cars will wipe them out.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:53 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Exactly!

Car dealers have inventory they need to sell and the promise of affordable electric cars will wipe them out.
Affordable? Lol I think it's more like they're scared Tesla will steal their high income (though maybe not ultra-high) consumers.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Affordable? Lol I think it's more like they're scared Tesla will steal their high income (though maybe not ultra-high) consumers.

They are not there just yet but Tesla is coming out next year with a more reasonably priced vehicle with better mileage. They have already taken deposits on over 400,000 of them last time I checked.

A number of other automakers are in the game and competition will eventually drive the prices down.

Many dealers see the writing on the wall and are trying to protect their livelihood.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The Tesla Model 3 price is set in stone at $35k and the base trim with no options is actually very nice. The way average Americans handle their finances, you'd be surprised at just how little income it takes for someone to believe they deserve and can afford that. I'd say $35k is within range of your typical foolhardy $50k income consumer. The market for the Model 3 will be huge.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:08 AM

I don't think it's considered the affordable electric car on the market though... that would be the Nissan Leaf, Ford Focus, VW e-Golf - which are all already sold by dealers, which is why I say I don't think this is about the affordable market. They're scared of the high market.

Edit: though I suppose you're right that it's just more competition for those low market electric cars. So yeah I guess that's incentive to fight them. Still seems ridiculous given these other companies are going to continue coming out with cheap electronic cars.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's considered the affordable electric car on the market though... that would be the Nissan Leaf, Ford Focus, VW e-Golf - which are all already sold by dealers, which is why I say I don't think this is about the affordable market. They're scared of the high market.

Edit: though I suppose you're right that it's just more competition for those low market electric cars. So yeah I guess that's incentive to fight them. Still seems ridiculous given these other companies are going to continue coming out with cheap electronic cars.

Tesla's innovations are forcing the other automakers to become more competitive in the electric car market.

The big guys can't just sit back and turn out "alternative models" while Tesla makes real advances and presents them in a fresh, popular concept.

The market for electric cars is steadily growing and will slowly replace those using a oil-fueled combustion engine. Tesla is helping lead the way and the other makers realize they have to follow and spend more time and effort then they previously did or will lose huge market share down the road.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
So what is the other side of the Tesla argument? It is pretty easy to see how the state law is restricting people from entering the market. But I can't find much information on those who support this law, other than car dealers of course, and what their reasons may be for keeping such a barrier.

Tesla, facing failure, raises the ante - Connecticut Post

It's silly not to allow Tesla to sell cars in CT. If I wanted one I would just go buy it in another state. CT can't stop people from crossing state lines, so the CT Govt might as well get on board.

I am very interested in the 35k car Tesla plans to sell. I don't know much about it though.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
It's silly not to allow Tesla to sell cars in CT. If I wanted one I would just go buy it in another state. CT can't stop people from crossing state lines, so the CT Govt might as well get on board.
Right? The state borders are within 45-60 min of most people. I'm sure anyone would drive that far and further for a huge purchase like a new car. If they do block Tesla from selling in CT, I'll bet Tesla builds stores just across the border in MA and NY. What an impotent restriction that would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers
I am very interested in the 35k car Tesla plans to sell. I don't know much about it though.
https://www.teslamotors.com/model3

Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 PM

There's a Tesla store (showroom?) in White Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut