Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 10:54 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Isn't Connecticut the land of Applebee's, cheesecake factory, and other chain restaurants?
Far from it. So many great indies here

Old 12-09-2022, 10:57 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I like independents, but I am talking from an economic perspective, the gig economy and concurrent supply chain cost issues are disproportionately harming restaurants who cannot charge very high price premiums to customers.

It's not a sudden change in quality crushing 99, Dennys, Julias, Bertuccis, etc. It's a change in their post covid cost structures doing it. Add in, the same thing obviously happened a short time back when Chip's scaled back its quantity of locations.

Its healthier if both your preference plus these chain restaurants can survive, IMHO. Something for everyone.
Yes being known for big portions/cheaper price’s isn’t working with inflation.
Food inflation is multiple’s more than what government reports.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:21 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Isn't Connecticut the land of Applebee's, cheesecake factory, and other chain restaurants?
I thought that was NYC? or even Jersey?

Have you been to CT.. its mostly local.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hmm.. thoughts on this?? Seems like there isn't much news on this. Anybody have any insight? This could be a huge W for the Farmington Valley if it is built correctly. i know a Whole FOods is there now but I would love to see a Target and Home Depot/Lowes and small shops there too. Something Avon/Simsbury/Farmington/Canton seriously lack. The demand is there for sure.

https://www.avonct.gov/planning-comm...center-project
https://www.avonct.gov/sites/g/files...verallplan.pdf

Looks impressive and the rotary / roads built recently are realllll nice.

Any insight? Inside info?? Thoughts??
It’s not in the news because the plan was approved a few years ago. It was all over the news back then. The Whole Foods is just the first phase of the plan. I don’t think the plan has room for Target, Lowes or Home Depot. That’s not what they were going for. They want to create a more walkable town center feel. You won’t get that with those stores. Jay

Old 12-09-2022, 01:12 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Funny, to me, Stamford is a lacking dining scene for its size. I prefer Norwalk, and even Westport. And New Haven is way better. IMO.
I think Norwalk and Westport tend have restaurants concentrated in a small area, Stamford (to me, at least) is more spread out. The places that I mentioned are all in different neighborhoods, close driving distance for sure. So I can see why you would think the dining scene is lacking

Old 12-09-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Not even close. If anything, it’s the opposite of that because local diners prefer local restaurants instead. There are just five Applebee’s and three Cheesecake Factory’s in our state. That’s not a lot at all. For comparison, New Jersey has 55 Applebee’s and 10 Cheesecake Factory’s. Big difference. Jay

Old 12-09-2022, 01:49 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not even close. If anything, it’s the opposite of that because local diners prefer local restaurants instead. There are just five Applebee’s and three Cheesecake Factory’s in our state. That’s not a lot at all. For comparison, New Jersey has 55 Applebee’s and 10 Cheesecake Factory’s. Big difference. Jay
I'm hoping it stays that way. I am not a fan of New Jersey at all. The areas closer to NYC are not the greatest and having these chains is part of it.

The best parts of NJ are closer to PA and DE -- at that point, you might as well cross into those states.

I know certain towns in CT are full of chains in large shopping areas. Enfield comes to mind. However, there are some great local restaurants in those very towns.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm hoping it stays that way. I am not a fan of New Jersey at all. The areas closer to NYC are not the greatest and having these chains is part of it.

The best parts of NJ are closer to PA and DE -- at that point, you might as well cross into those states.

I know certain towns in CT are full of chains in large shopping areas. Enfield comes to mind. However, there are some great local restaurants in those very towns.
I lived in northern New Jersey for several years and there are many nice towns. Nicer than southern New Jersey IMHO. Bergen County towns like Alpine, Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Ho Ho Kus, Allendale, Ramsey, Saddle River, Upper Saddle River, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes, Oakland, Mahwah, etc. are all very nice. Morris, Somerset, Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon and Mercer Counties are all pretty nice too.

There are a lot of chain restaurants in New Jersey (I can’t believe there are 55 Applebee’s) but there are also a lot of great local places as well. The locals know them and frequent them a lot. Connecticut, even in regional retail areas like Enfield, Manchester, Danbury, or Milford doesn’t have a lot. Jay

Old 12-09-2022, 02:56 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I think Norwalk and Westport tend have restaurants concentrated in a small area, Stamford (to me, at least) is more spread out. The places that I mentioned are all in different neighborhoods, close driving distance for sure. So I can see why you would think the dining scene is lacking
I guess there's just not that many standouts for me, despite the geography. The few you mentioned are good, though.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:57 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I lived in northern New Jersey for several years and there are many nice towns. Nicer than southern New Jersey IMHO. Bergen County towns like Alpine, Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Ho Ho Kus, Allendale, Ramsey, Saddle River, Upper Saddle River, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes, Oakland, Mahwah, etc. are all very nice. Morris, Somerset, Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon and Mercer Counties are all pretty nice too.

There are a lot of chain restaurants in New Jersey (I can’t believe there are 55 Applebee’s) but there are also a lot of great local places as well. The locals know them and frequent them a lot. Connecticut, even in regional retail areas like Enfield, Manchester, Danbury, or Milford doesn’t have a lot. Jay
I've spent some time in southern NJ too lately, and there's tons of chains there as well. Different scene than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut