Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 07:31 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
CT and the rest of the country are not liberal in any way - especially fiscally. At best United states politics are middle of the road with the illusion of populism.
That's your opinion. I do not agree.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:06 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Who's complaining? I'm simply calling it like I see it. I am a pragmatist who understands that fiscal liberalism like we have in this state is a death spiral. I know that's not as exciting as social justice crusades which have become the norm in this state, but it's the reality. Small wonder why this state is broke, as are the majority of Americans now.
If that is true then tell me why liberal states like Massachusetts and Colorado are doing so well economically? New York and New Jersey are doing pretty good too. Heck, in realty our state is doing well despite the doom and gloom some here like to spout. The fact is you are complaining with these statements. That is not being a pragmatist. Jay

Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Boston and legal pot seriously. Put them on the map. Know plenty who Vaca there for that alone. Colorado though is great. Has everything with nicer weather than most realize.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:25 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Boston and legal pot seriously. Put them on the map. Know plenty who Vaca there for that alone. Colorado though is great. Has everything with nicer weather than most realize.
Both Colorado and Massachusetts were doing well economically long before marijuana was legalized there. But you are right, Boston is booming and pretty much makes up a lot of economic growth in the state. Given it is a pretty liberal city though, it kind of proves liberal views do not cause a death spiral as claimed. The same could be said for Denver. Jay

Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Who's complaining? I'm simply calling it like I see it. I am a pragmatist who understands that fiscal liberalism like we have in this state is a death spiral. I know that's not as exciting as social justice crusades which have become the norm in this state, but it's the reality. Small wonder why this state is broke, as are the majority of Americans now.
What social justice crusades have become the norm in CT? just curious

Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Both Colorado and Massachusetts were doing well economically long before marijuana was legalized there. But you are right, Boston is booming and pretty much makes up a lot of economic growth in the state. Given it is a pretty liberal city though, it kind of proves liberal views do not cause a death spiral as claimed. The same could be said for Denver. Jay

From a state finances point of view, Massachusetts doesn't look all that much better than Connecticut. It has the same unfunded pension liability problem, the same mushrooming Medicaid costs problem, rising debt, professional politician class, poorly funded transportation infrastructure....

Old 12-11-2019, 07:35 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Mass is essentially Boston. It dominates economically, politically and culturally. 80% of the Mass population lives in metro Boston. If you are located beyond 495, you may as well be in a different state (or commonwealth). The good part of this is that Boston is THE focus of the state and as a result gets more attention and resources which in turn allows it to be the commonwealth's engine. The bad part is that it comes at the expense of the areas outside of Boston, where the cities don't look much different than the lower tier cities in CT. Whereas in CT, the population, economic, political and cultural centers are spread out among Stamford/Norwalk, Hartford and New Haven, which creates competing interests and an inability to concentrate resources in any one city.

For example, mass transit in Mass is pretty simple - all trains (MBTA) lead to Boston. Whereas in CT, there's metro north, shoreline east, CT fastrak and the hartford line, all serving different areas and all competing for the same (limited) transit dollar. Perhaps it is only a coincidence that metro north's decline in service has coincided with the creation of these other mass transit agencies.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:45 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
What social justice crusades have become the norm in CT? just curious
The fight for 15. Our MW hits it in a few years.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:51 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Add to that the FMLA the most aggressive one in the country.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post

So it's somehow difficult to buy a bag of weed in Connecticut? You have to vacation in Massachusetts to get high? Colorado has had the sweet cloud of "essence du chairlift" since the 1960s. Legalizing it just took away a hassle point from the police. It's not like usage shot up. It's also so expensive that the corner pot dealer didn't go away since they're cheaper. I've done a couple hundred hotel nights in Denver since legalization. You see the occasional visitor holed up in their hotel room getting high for a few days but that's really unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut