Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Perfectly ok. The company that bought the UConn WH campus is bringing in thousands of jobs. This loss is a temporary blip on the road to the gains of thousands.
Just to reiterate what I said in a different post, this is not a done deal yet. This company is on VERY shaky financial ground currently, and this is why people are having reservations about having them come here. It may be tempting to write that off as typical New England NIMBYism, but when you see how the company's stock has been performing lately, they look almost like a modern-day Enron. That's what people are afraid of.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Just to reiterate what I said in a different post, this is not a done deal yet. This company is on VERY shaky financial ground currently, and this is why people are having reservations about having them come here. It may be tempting to write that off as typical New England NIMBYism, but when you see how the company's stock has been performing lately, they look almost like a modern-day Enron. That's what people are afraid of.
Maybe but they have put up a lot of money already to buy the complex. Their latest financial statement shows a decrease in business as they shift their focus away from energy but they still saw a good sized increase in value. Will see.

https://ideanomics.gcs-web.com/news-...ncial-results/

But also remember Infosys has already hired 500 in our state and just yesterday GalexE Solutions announced plans to open an office in Hartford and hire hundreds. Pratt & Whitney is hiring thousands too. The point is, while not good news, McKesson’s closing this facility is not the end of the world. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...xgm-story.html

Old 09-05-2019, 05:39 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
I agree. Celebrate after winning something. Not during spring training.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Well, this is Connecticut. We're so super duper, star-spangled awesome that we deserve to do a victory lap just for pretty much anything it seems.

This state kind of reminds me of that study that was conducted a few years ago among high school students, where US students ranked dead last among numerous developed nations in math and science, but Number One in CONFIDENCE in math and science, even though we suck at it. Yes, we're Number One in thinking we're Number One.
I don't think that the more booster camp for the state are rose-tinted about a number of the issues economically, with infrastructure, and politically. But it is important to see all sides of it, not just the bad side which gets repeated ad nauseam without proper context.

There are issues, but there are also huge opportunities and benefits as well.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I agree. Celebrate after winning something. Not during spring training.
Well, it's like this: I know it sounds counterintuitive to question a company that wants to relocate here, especially when we have a penchant and reputation for being so business-unfriendly. The best thing we can do for our citizens is provide and create jobs, so in theory this would sound like a win-win. But anytime publicly-traded stock is involved and it has a lengthy track record or underperforming (as is the case with this company), that's when a red flag should be raised. I'm almost beginning to wonder if the best way to ensure a company's growth and success is not to go public, LOL.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I don't think that the more booster camp for the state are rose-tinted about a number of the issues economically, with infrastructure, and politically. But it is important to see all sides of it, not just the bad side which gets repeated ad nauseam without proper context.

There are issues, but there are also huge opportunities and benefits as well.
I agree. Why can residents of a state like Texas crow about their state without criticism but when someone from Connecticut does that, they are wrong? We have a great state and we should not have to apologize for that. It is highly suspicious to me that the media is so quick to highlight problems we have but ignore the many good things. They too often are ready with inaccurate click bate headlines. Overall we are in a very good place. Unfortunately that does not make headlines. Jay

Old 09-06-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Well, it's like this: I know it sounds counterintuitive to question a company that wants to relocate here, especially when we have a penchant and reputation for being so business-unfriendly. The best thing we can do for our citizens is provide and create jobs, so in theory this would sound like a win-win. But anytime publicly-traded stock is involved and it has a lengthy track record or underperforming (as is the case with this company), that's when a red flag should be raised. I'm almost beginning to wonder if the best way to ensure a company's growth and success is not to go public, LOL.
Should we ignore it when a major cutting edge tech company buys a high profile property in our state with the goal of creating a high tech center? Most cutting edge tech companies operate at low profits. They are more interested in investing in their future than posting profits for its shareholders. We will see if Idealonomics is capable of bringing their vision for Fintech Village to reality but until then we should be encouraging and optimistic. Jay

Old 09-06-2019, 09:21 AM

A Naugatuck food company is reopening the closed Danone factory with a goal of hiring more than 100 workers in the next five years. Good news, Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...ssing-facility

Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
When and IF goals become reality, we should celebrate.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 AM

464 posts, read 312,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
When and IF goals become reality, we should celebrate.
Agreed. You don’t congratulate someone for saying they will run a marathon, you congratulate them when they actually run & complete it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut