Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
None of what you have said changes the facts. Regardless of the perception of what " we have" , we indeed have less growth than other nearby states.

We have less growth than 4 dozen states.

Our competition is those 4 dozen plus the world. Our biggest win under Malloy- an Amazon DC..oops , they are in most states by now. But it was his biggest quantity of jobs gained..

Old 08-30-2019, 11:27 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Ct is ONE of 5 NE states to have Post Recession Job Growth far below USA, JayCt.

Low unemployment rates can come an unhealthy way- a reduced Workforce Labor Participation Rate. (Under Obama, the first term, it dropped many points amongst working age men. That lowers the unemployment rate, but not in a good way). Job GROWTH is the sole healthy way to have a solid economy.

Massachusetts deserves praise for being the sole NE state at least on par with US growth.

Other 5 have been horrible economically the last decade.

We need to compare ourselves to 49 other states, just as corps do when assessing where to add or build new plants and offices. Not just compare to the under-achievers in NE plus NY & NJ, also under-achievers in growth the last few decades.
Once again by all measures our economy is doing very well. We are now below the national average unemployment rate, a point you previously pointed to as a key mark. Before the recession we had reached peak employment numbers. The private sector has regained more than the jobs lost. That is great news.

As you know, the size of a workforce continually changes. Since our population is not growing it hardly matters that it is lower now. The point is there are a lot of people working and employers are hiring. That is good.

Without a growing population, it is hard to have a high growth rate. We are already one of the most densely populated states in the country. Do we really want more people here? I don’t. It’s crowded enough. More people means more sprawl which would destroy our state’s character. You may want us to become another New Jersey but most people don’t. I certainly don’t. Jay

Old 08-30-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

We have less growth than 4 dozen states.

Our competition is those 4 dozen plus the world. Our biggest win under Malloy- an Amazon DC..oops , they are in most states by now. But it was his biggest quantity of jobs gained..
What’s wrong with Amazon? Would you rather they built their fulfillment center in another state? That’s 1,800 jobs. Not everyone can be a high powered financiers or doctors or lawyers.

Also you conveniently forget companies like Henkel and Infosys that both opened new facilities here. What about companies like Indeed, Charter, Cocoa Cola of NE, Pratt & Whitney, and Electric Boat? They are spending billions and hiring thousands here.

As for competition, how about being No. 1 in personal income; No. 1 in Real Disposable Income; No. 5 in median household income; No. 3 healthiest state; No. 1 in Fortune 1000 companies per capita; No. 3 in Real Gross Domestic Product per capita; and No. 3 for public education. Pretty impressive by any standards. Jay

Old 08-30-2019, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,138 times
I don't like Infosys campus here in CT, they are taking way thousands of jobs from us and been given to h1b people. Is that fair?

Old 08-30-2019, 03:44 PM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhite8006 View Post
I don't like Infosys campus here in CT, they are taking way thousands of jobs from us and been given to h1b people. Is that fair?

Not true...yet. Infosys tried to rescue public image by hiring "Americans only". Probably the cheapest recent college grads. In a few years they will replace with H1B. Our politicians made sure there were no string attached probably by design from corp lobby bent on cheap contracts.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What’s wrong with Amazon? Would you rather they built their fulfillment center in another state? That’s 1,800 jobs. Not everyone can be a high powered financiers or doctors or lawyers.
2 of hundreds of examples of what may be America's worst place to work. From the moment employees step in, they wear a monitor tracking every move they make.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJAg6nyrzmU

Old 08-30-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It’s not true that Infosys is only hiring h1b workers and they pay low wages. We had a poster here say they are working for them and they are well paid. You can’t control who Infosys hires. Would you rather they brought their 1000 new jobs to Boston or New York instead? No matter what, they were going to establish a foothold in the US. It might as well be in Hartford. Jay

Old 08-30-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
For the most part, our new corps to crow about are not highly coveted places to work.

It is true unfortunately these HB1 corps have bought their way into our nation. Its also true that Amazon DC horrific employment environments are not illegal.

Worst still, there are few Henkels we attract. While by no means anywhere near Amazon DC jobs quantity, much better working conditions. Henkel was Malloy's best addition, by a mile. He had very, very few.

Few nice corps coming here, offering good working environments, and not be a venue to reduce US jobs overall as Infosys is.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 08-30-2019 at 06:49 PM..

Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Agreed! I say that about the US in general, and the entire world actually. We have way too many people. Having sanctuary cities only makes it worse.

Sanctuary cities have nothing to do with anything, I wouldn't waste another second of my life worrying about that.

As far as the population decline goes what CT is losing is statistically insignificant and is within the standard deviation. When data point(s) fall outside of the standard deviation that is something to be concerned about.

I would love to see CT lose at least 1,000,000 people by 2030. Maybe a CT politician can run on that. Maybe even recruit someone on city data to run.

Imagine all the stuff we can close down. Metro north, CT transit, highway infrastructure, schools, universities, hospitals, along with all their employees. We would literally save billions of dollars in the first year alone.

Believe me the data masters know more about population trends than the common people.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I would love to see CT lose at least 1,000,000 people by 2030. Maybe a CT politician can run on that. Maybe even recruit someone on city data to run.

You're too funny.

I have an idea. You run for Governor and I will run as your Lieutenant Governor. We need to find a spot for Jay on the ticket lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut