Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,800 times

Advertisements

We will be moving into Westport soon and will be looking for suggestions as to schools. The little I was able to learn on-line and over the phone suggested that most preschools run from 9-12 o'clock, 2, 3, or 5 days, but none have the longer school day that we've been used to - 9-2:45.

Also the programs seem to stop with what is called 'the fours'. Do all kids go to public kindergarten when they are 5, even if they are 'young' fives?

Are public kindergartens full or half day programs? I did not find public schools to be welcoming regarding allowing parents to visit/ observe the class or program. Does anyone have experience with this?

Is the public school amenable to letting children have 2 years of kindergarten if the parent feels the child isn't quite ready for grade one?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM

2,857 posts, read 10,459,287 times
There are schools that have a full day nursery school program, but most are also daycares. However, many religious private schools that offer K-8 programs offer full day nursery school in my experience, you may want to check that out.

Most kids who are 5 go onto Kindergarten as long as they are 5 by December of that school year. Some children are "redshirted" and held back in preschool another year. For those children many preschools offer a Pre-K program for children who are not ready for Kindergarten but have had some nursery school before.

Public Kindergarten being Full or Half day depends on the town you are looking in. Some have full day and others only have half day. Check with your towns school district or website on which they have.

I do not think most schools hold back children into Kindergarten for a second year willingly. If they are not ready for kindergarten then they shouldn't start until the following year.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 PM

71 posts, read 162,630 times
We are moving next to you in Wilton. Almost every preschool I've looked at for my daughter offers an "extended day option". She is going from 9-1 but I could add 1-3:30 for an additional fee if needed. I was asking about young 5s too and many Wilton preschools over a 5s/Kindergarten program.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,968,680 times
Westport (and Wilton) will be going to full day kindergarten in 2013.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM

588 posts, read 1,876,264 times
From our experience, preschools typically run the # of days per week that match the kids age - 2's go 2 days, 3's go 3 days, 4's go 4 days. There is an in-between tier typically called PreK for those kids that are too old for the 4's class but not ready for kindergarten. If your child is socially far behind the other 4's, or is born at the end of the calendar year, then that is more than good enough reason to hold them in a PreK. A lot of the preschools are recommending that any kids born after mid-September (to turn 5 just after the start of the school year) are held in a PreK class. There are exceptions, but because of what has come before them if you put them into kindergarten they could easily be 12-16 months younger than their peers in the same class. People call it "redshirting" and associate it with bad parenting or are very judgmental about it... but only you and your kids preschool teachers really know your kid. And don't feel pressured because one neighbor is sending their kid, or another one isn't.

My 4 yr old was born at the end of October, and we decided to put him in PreK instead of pushing him ahead to K simply because socially he is extremely shy and has a lot of trouble keeping up with his peers. Academically I am not concerned at all, but the social aspect of growing up is just as important. And for us, it wasn't about his issues in kindergarten... it was more the issues that we can foresee when he's in 6th or 8th grade, or high school.... it's tough enough figuring yourself out.

It is a very rare case that they allow a kid to repeat kindergarten. We asked the same question to the local elementary school principal, and he said that they really try not to do that, but it has happened once or twice.

I don't know about the kindergarten in Westport. Fairfield (where I am) just moved to 5 full days.

Feel free to ping me privately if you have any other questions.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,990,908 times
The repeating kindergarten must be by district. I know in my district about 25% of kindergartners repeat the grade each year.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,940,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
From our experience, preschools typically run the # of days per week that match the kids age - 2's go 2 days, 3's go 3 days, 4's go 4 days. There is an in-between tier typically called PreK for those kids that are too old for the 4's class but not ready for kindergarten. If your child is socially far behind the other 4's, or is born at the end of the calendar year, then that is more than good enough reason to hold them in a PreK. A lot of the preschools are recommending that any kids born after mid-September (to turn 5 just after the start of the school year) are held in a PreK class. There are exceptions, but because of what has come before them if you put them into kindergarten they could easily be 12-16 months younger than their peers in the same class. People call it "redshirting" and associate it with bad parenting or are very judgmental about it... but only you and your kids preschool teachers really know your kid. And don't feel pressured because one neighbor is sending their kid, or another one isn't.

My 4 yr old was born at the end of October, and we decided to put him in PreK instead of pushing him ahead to K simply because socially he is extremely shy and has a lot of trouble keeping up with his peers. Academically I am not concerned at all, but the social aspect of growing up is just as important. And for us, it wasn't about his issues in kindergarten... it was more the issues that we can foresee when he's in 6th or 8th grade, or high school.... it's tough enough figuring yourself out.

It is a very rare case that they allow a kid to repeat kindergarten. We asked the same question to the local elementary school principal, and he said that they really try not to do that, but it has happened once or twice.

I don't know about the kindergarten in Westport. Fairfield (where I am) just moved to 5 full days.

Feel free to ping me privately if you have any other questions.
That's how it is where I am, and repeating kindergarten is extremely rare, allowed due to to maturity/behavior issues.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM

38 posts, read 60,177 times
Earthplace in Westport offers a Transitional 5s Pre-K program.

We are moving in-district and my son will be 6 a few weeks after he starts K. We are moving from a state with an earlier age-cutoff, so "red-shirting" him is due to different circumstances, but I'm glad it has worked out this way.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,635,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Earthplace in Westport offers a Transitional 5s Pre-K program.

We are moving in-district and my son will be 6 a few weeks after he starts K. We are moving from a state with an earlier age-cutoff, so "red-shirting" him is due to different circumstances, but I'm glad it has worked out this way.

Good luck with your move!
The area you are moving into will have primarily "red-shirted" kindergarteners. This is common in wealthier towns as more parents are educated themselves and know putting a kid in too early can be detrimental. I had to make this decision and not one teacher (pre-k all the way to high school) supported kindergarteners starting at age four. As good as CT is with education, we are behind on the cut off date rules.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM

35,128 posts, read 57,276,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The area you are moving into will have primarily "red-shirted" kindergarteners. This is common in wealthier towns as more parents are educated themselves and know putting a kid in too early can be detrimental. I had to make this decision and not one teacher (pre-k all the way to high school) supported kindergarteners starting at age four. As good as CT is with education, we are behind on the cut off date rules.
Why do you assume we are behind? Our schools are among the top performing in the country. we must be doing something right. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: