Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,451,451 times

Advertisements

I think the cutoffs are fine the way they are. All my children were ahead when they were allowed to enter Kindergarten, already reading on 1st and 2nd grade levels and knowing basic math problems. So if my child was born in Oct and was refused entrance to Kindergarten simply on age, not on maturity and readiness I would be upset. Then my child would end up even more bored in Kindy then they already are.

In my opinion it should be up to the parents, they know their children best and whether they are ready or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,632,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I think the cutoffs are fine the way they are. All my children were ahead when they were allowed to enter Kindergarten, already reading on 1st and 2nd grade levels and knowing basic math problems. So if my child was born in Oct and was refused entrance to Kindergarten simply on age, not on maturity and readiness I would be upset. Then my child would end up even more bored in Kindy then they already are.

In my opinion it should be up to the parents, they know their children best and whether they are ready or not.
It has nothing to do with how smart a child is, but everything to do with how mature a child is. There are plenty of bright kids who did not do well in school because they lacked the maturity to focus and cope with the other kids. They simply needed an extra year to play and/or take things at a slower pace. I know a few kids who went early who even did well academically but suffered socially. While some four year olds can handle it, there are usually five more who can't. So I think CT should get rid of the cutoff dates. The only reason it has been fought (not saying by you) is for daycare reasons.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,632,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why do you assume we are behind? Our schools are among the top performing in the country. we must be doing something right. Jay
I wasn't implying that the schools are behind, but a certain kids are not doing well…or as well as they could be because of this. CT is one of seven states that has not gone to a September cutoff date and last I checked we're one of four that allows the date as far back as December 31st. Every teacher I know can point out a struggling kid whose issue is being born late in the year that started at four.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 25,716 times
For you Wilton and Westport guys, I can't recommend The Montessori School on Whipple Road enough! The staff there is so dedicated to molding these children into incredible students and people. It truly is an incredible environment for the little ones, and the parents/staff make this place just awesome! They also have a toddler program at their Middle School Campus in Norwalk, but it sounds like the Whipple Road school would be ideal for you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: