Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM

11,307 posts, read 18,906,433 times

Advertisements

Was looking on the WTNH and News 12 websites, noticed that a few towns in the Hartford area and eastern CT are already putting in parking bans for tomorrow. Only saw a couple of pre-schools in Fairfield County declaring 12 or 1pm closings. Did notice on the News 12 site 2 Catholic schools in Westchester that are already closed for tomorrow, one in Bronxville and one in Katonah. Time will tell....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Was looking on the WTNH and News 12 websites, noticed that a few towns in the Hartford area and eastern CT are already putting in parking bans for tomorrow. Only saw a couple of pre-schools in Fairfield County declaring 12 or 1pm closings. Did notice on the News 12 site 2 Catholic schools in Westchester that are already closed for tomorrow, one in Bronxville and one in Katonah. Time will tell....

Some coworkers said that staff was already telling the students that school would be closed tomorrow, but they aren't getting posted on the news stations yet.

I suspect it's to prevent confusion with today? Dunno. Seems silly. They'll probably show up for the evening broadcasts.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM

848 posts, read 1,121,297 times
Take care with "Charlotte" everyone

From, Charlotte.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,092,523 times
and the panic begins. The media is well versed at causing panic when these type of events occur. They have to be in bed with the grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, etc. I stopped at store this morning for ingredients for chili, it was insane at 7am people had carts piled to the sky with stuff like they were going to the Yukon for a month.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,485,605 times
Stop in shop in Trumbull looked like they were preparing for the Mayan apocolypse this afternoon. End of the world as we know it for those people. That's why I can't stand the news, they blow everything so far out of the water they make it seem like its the end of the world.
And the thing that gets me is these people who get food to "stock up" actually get food that needs to be refridgerated, so if the power goes out....the food's gone to waste, so what was the point??

Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM

470 posts, read 1,666,648 times
I have 3 or 4 MRE's in my closet at home that i never ate at drill. They are about 3500 cal each so my wife and I can survive on them for 2 days if we lose power. We also have a bunch of stuff we can cook on the grill outside if needs be.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I have 3 or 4 MRE's in my closet at home that i never ate at drill. They are about 3500 cal each so my wife and I can survive on them for 2 days if we lose power. We also have a bunch of stuff we can cook on the grill outside if needs be.

That's a far cry from the French toast that everyone apparently plans to make.

I'm glad I went to the store yesterday instead of today.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,092,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Stop in shop in Trumbull looked like they were preparing for the Mayan apocolypse this afternoon. End of the world as we know it for those people. That's why I can't stand the news, they blow everything so far out of the water they make it seem like its the end of the world.
And the thing that gets me is these people who get food to "stock up" actually get food that needs to be refridgerated, so if the power goes out....the food's gone to waste, so what was the point??
hey at least this time you can throw the milk in a snowbank. I love it in the summer when people buy milk and cheese and eggs, etc and it's 80 degrees out and the power goes out. At least my cold stuff should stay cold

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Schools are already closing. DW's company in Stamford already announced that they will dismiss at 1 pm tomorrow, or might be closed altogether.

I think if this thing materializes, it would be a good idea for the governor to keep all state employees home tomorrow. If not, he runs the risk of having the highways jammed throughout the afternoon. That could be disastrous.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM

11,307 posts, read 18,906,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Some coworkers said that staff was already telling the students that school would be closed tomorrow, but they aren't getting posted on the news stations yet.

I suspect it's to prevent confusion with today? Dunno. Seems silly. They'll probably show up for the evening broadcasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Schools are already closing. DW's company in Stamford already announced that they will dismiss at 1 pm tomorrow, or might be closed altogether.
Well I found one CT district that has actually declared it is closed, Wallingford. Stamford schools' website has a very vague message that seems to suggest it will be closed. Only other one I've seen is down in Yonkers, NY they are doing "early release" for now I guess waiting to see what it's like overnight and what the forecast is then.

For a company to declare it might be closed in anticipation is rare, the only time I actually saw that en masse was for the March, 2001 "blown forecast" (though again, I'll emphasize it retrograded and for most of CT and Suffolk Co., LI a foot did fall, just not 3 feet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut