Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,770,444 times

Advertisements

Unemployment rate- Charlotte NC- Bureau of Labor Statistics

You're not looking way the heck out in Gastonia or Rock Hill - don't manipulate data

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...charlotte%20nc

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,212,434 times
I would cut my losses. Move back. Get a job in FFC. If you liked Charlotte, then plan to move there and doing it methodically. Let this mistake be an experience. You could get lucky-- maybe your future employer can transfer you there, or maybe do it via networking. In the meantime make money in FFC that you could use to buy a house in NC in 2-3 years. Blowing thru money is always a bad idea.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Previously, I did say that I could survive for months, but now I am limiting it to one month, because I refuse to spend more of my hard-earned savings on the "gamble" of searching for a job for months on end, especially in a competitive job market with a 9.4% unemployment. It's just not good business sense. If I cannot secure employment by the end of the month, I will return to my parent's house in Granby, CT and search for a job within a 100-mile radius or whatever. Trust me, I HATE staying at my parents' house even for one day. But I really won't have an option. What good is staying in Charlotte for more months if I have to spend even more of my savings, with no income coming in? It will only delay saving up for a down payment on a home, down the road. I mean, what am I supposed to do? Spend even MORE of my savings? That worries me.
I'm confused by this.

That's what happens when people move without a job, and it sounds like a risk you aren't willing to take. I'm moving without a job in 4 days, knowing full well my savings will go lower until I find a job. That's just how it is.

You seem to be raising more red flags every time you post. Which makes all of us wonder if you were truly prepared for this, or even know what you want.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM

275 posts, read 419,812 times
Default Connecticut is not alluring folks to move here b/c it's a very expensive state to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In fairness to CT, we don't have much room for growth.
you go figure, gas is now $4/gallon again, property taxes are high, cigarettes are outrageously high here, alcohol in package stores r higher than up in Mass. groceries are way higher here than down in NC!
maybe you could make friends w/someone who'd let you rent a room in their house, or even rent a trailer, they are not that expensive compared to a hotel room.
I hate it for you, that you had to spend $6000 & still have not found a job you wanted yet nep321.
try finding lists of companies in CLT you'd like to work at, so you could at least apply online if u move back up north.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
[snip]
Previously, I did say that I could survive for months, but now I am limiting it to one month, because I refuse to spend more of my hard-earned savings on the "gamble" of searching for a job for months on end, especially in a competitive job market with a 9.4% unemployment. It's just not good business sense.
[snip]
The spending has got to stop! And I'm hesitant to sell a few thousand of my stocks (which don't amount to a lot anyway) to keep living here beyond Feb. It's kind of like using my investment funds to invest in a difficult job market. Like I said, it just doesn't make business sense.

I mean, what would you do?
What would I do? I would do what I did. I'd stay where I was, get a couple of part-time jobs if a full-time wasn't available, build up some savings (not stocks - I mean normal bank account savings), move out of mommy's house, get a roommate to share expenses and responsibilities with, and live like an adult, and not even THINK about buying my own home until I had at least a few years of solid full-time employment AND a minimum of 6 months salary in the bank.

What I would do - is more what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't come here and tell a bunch of adults about what's good business sense, while displaying NO business sense at all.

You have shown that you know nothing about business. Good business sense would be to save first - move later. It would be to do research prior to moving - and by research, I don't mean asking strangers on the internet for advice. I would've checked to see a) what is the unemployment rate in the place I want to visit and b) which jobs are actually available, to those who are seeking work? In which markets, which career fields? and c) what is plan B?

I would -not- go touring around the country and pretending it's for a job hunt, and then make up excuse after excuse why each place is unsuitable, and then, after spending thousands of dollars and putting hundreds of miles on my car, return home to mommy with my tail between my legs.

Wherever you go, you're a transient with a lousy job history. You have not lived away from home, with a full-time long-term position (long-term being at *least* a year, preferably 3-5 years or more) in the same company, proving your durability and value to an employer.

You aren't even ready to THINK about buying a home. At the rate you're going, you won't be ready until you're well into your 40's.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You seem to be raising more red flags every time you post. Which makes all of us wonder if you were truly prepared for this, or even know what you want.
We all do stupid things in our lives and with money. I give OP props for opening up to others, knowing he might get some flak. Soon enough he will learn that "dues" have to be paid before "bennies" kick in.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
We all do stupid things in our lives and with money. I give OP props for opening up to others, knowing he might get some flak. Soon enough he will learn that "dues" have to be paid before "bennies" kick in.
He's almost 30 years old. This is something he should've learned a decade ago.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
He's almost 30 years old. This is something he should've learned a decade ago.
He may have been sheltered, and for reasons that we don't know, so who knows? So who are we to judge at what age he should know what? Some people get whacked early in their lives and learn very early. Some never do. Most fall somewhere in between I guess.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What would I do? I would do what I did. I'd stay where I was, get a couple of part-time jobs if a full-time wasn't available, build up some savings (not stocks - I mean normal bank account savings), move out of mommy's house, get a roommate to share expenses and responsibilities with, and live like an adult, and not even THINK about buying my own home until I had at least a few years of solid full-time employment AND a minimum of 6 months salary in the bank.

What I would do - is more what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't come here and tell a bunch of adults about what's good business sense, while displaying NO business sense at all.

You have shown that you know nothing about business. Good business sense would be to save first - move later. It would be to do research prior to moving - and by research, I don't mean asking strangers on the internet for advice. I would've checked to see a) what is the unemployment rate in the place I want to visit and b) which jobs are actually available, to those who are seeking work? In which markets, which career fields? and c) what is plan B?

I would -not- go touring around the country and pretending it's for a job hunt, and then make up excuse after excuse why each place is unsuitable, and then, after spending thousands of dollars and putting hundreds of miles on my car, return home to mommy with my tail between my legs.

Wherever you go, you're a transient with a lousy job history. You have not lived away from home, with a full-time long-term position (long-term being at *least* a year, preferably 3-5 years or more) in the same company, proving your durability and value to an employer.

You aren't even ready to THINK about buying a home. At the rate you're going, you won't be ready until you're well into your 40's.
I have a lousy job history? Really? Having started my career working in the hedge fund industry in NYC, then moving on to gain experience in the insurance and utility industries in CT and getting my master's degree is a lousy job history? Having a diversified background is NOT a bad thing. Compare that to someone who maybe stayed in the SAME job for years on end. I have the ability to adapt and see how companies do things differently. That's a GOOD thing. I'm sorry you don't see that. When you're in your 20's, it's good to experience a few jobs. And heck, it was a good strategy to increase my salary by quite a bit. By changing jobs a few times, I have been able to earn 33% more salary today than I did when I started back in 2006. That's not bad. So, a diversified background can be a good thing in the eyes of employers. Anyone who has touched the tax returns of Bear Stearns and Lehman Bros. has an appealing job history.

Secondly, I have been pre-approved for a mortgage in the past, when I was looking for houses in CT. I don't see why I can't be approved again within a couple years. Mortgage lenders typically want to see at least two years of steady income. It doesn't need to be many, many years. How do you think all of the people who are in their mid-20's were able to get mortgage approval. Please.

Third, there is definitely hope on my prospects of finding a job. I have been actively looking for a job her in Charlotte for about two weeks now, and have already had three recruiters approach ME, upon seeing my resume. My resume is stellar and the recruiters know it. They're in it for the money, so why do you think they are scheduling meetings with me to help me find a job? They KNOW I'm a good candidate and are willing to invest in me. So please stop saying my career is screwed up. Even when I was in CT, I constantly had recruiters contacting me and wanting to work with me, because my background is impressive. Tax accounting is in DEMAND!

Finally, I DO have good business sense, albeit not perfect. For crying out loud, I have lived independently since I was 22 years old, in midtown Manhattan. I have been able to save up a few ten thousand dollars in the bank AND pay off ALL of my debt. That's right, I have zero debt and plenty of savings. That's why I was ABLE to quit my job with no job lined up, travel the country (like most people wish they could) and restart my life. Do you really think I would have done that if I didn't have the financial resources and good resume to do so? Please.

I know what I'm doing. Yes, it's radical and frightening to most people, but at least I took action and had the balls to do it. Most people just talk about relocating, but never take action.

Seriously. Once I secure employment (which I believe will be rather soon), I will be back on track to a financially stable life. I am planning to sit for the CPA exam this year. Now that I've gotten all this traveling out of my system, I am more ambitious than ever to make things work.

I just happen to have a philosophy that life is too short and it's a shame to just "take the safe route" and "do what everyone else does." No. I'm doing what I want to do, and this just happens to be a pain point in the road.

In the United States of America, everybody is entitled to a second chance. If you fail, you get up and try again.

Let's make a bet that by the time I am 31 years old, my life will be in great order, I will have stellar financial stability, be happy with where I live and what I do. I'm sure I'll still be on this forum by then

Last edited by nep321; 02-16-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,770,444 times
Well, Nep at least you made an attempt at response, some of which seems to be cut and pasted out of a resume. However, your response is really summed up in one word -

" Puffery"

I highly doubt there is a single person reading this thread who has any jealousy over your travels or your life. Most of us are already highly traveled, most of us have lived in various other places than where we are now. You are not unique or special in that regard, much as you'd like to think you are. You may be trying to convince yourself that you have a game plan, but I for one, sure haven't seen any of it in anything you've ever posted. All I've seen is massive confusion. You're sure going to need some good luck and I hope it comes your way. You need lots of better planning too but that you have to figure out on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut