Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

370 posts, read 609,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Geez...I don't think I'm compelled to stay here in Charlotte and continue looking for jobs in the area. Upon discussion with my recruiter, she said that most jobs around here in my field only give 2 weeks of paid vacation per year. For someone who lives far from family in CT and wishes to visit his family a few times per year, that's awful. How will I have enough time to take a "fun" nonfamily vacation for myself and have some days available for personal days, 3-day weekends, etc?

Plus, I'm running out of budgeted money to stay here and continue living with no job. I can't really go beyond the end of Feb unless I either (a) secure employment by the end of the month, or (b) sell some stock, which would allow me to stay here for about two more months. But even then, I'm not compelled to look for a job that only gives two weeks of vacation per year. How pathetic.

In CT, most employers gave at least 3 weeks per year. What the hell?
You had "fun" since quitting your job back in Nov-12. How about you grow up and accept reality.

I mean seriously, one week in vacation is going to warrant a move back to CT? How old are you really? You know you can always negotiate additional vacation weeks with an employer after receiving an offer. After all, aren't you the hot-shot can't miss prospective candidate with an immaculate resume?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
You had "fun" since quitting your job back in Nov-12. How about you grow up and accept reality.

I mean seriously, one week in vacation is going to warrant a move back to CT? How old are you really? You know you can always negotiate additional vacation weeks with an employer after receiving an offer. After all, aren't you the hot-shot can't miss prospective candidate with an immaculate resume?
This.

*round of applause*

Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily true. It depends on the company. It's not as much of a regional cultural thing as you may think.

My company was 2 weeks for 20+ years of being in business. 3 weeks if you were employed for 4 years.

We were bought last year and the new company's policy is 3 weeks, 4 weeks if employee for 5 years.

It varies widely. I don't see how being in Charlotte has anything to do with it. You're really going to let one recruiter's opinion sway you that much?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Quote:
Geez...I don't think I'm compelled to stay here in Charlotte and continue looking for jobs in the area. Upon discussion with my recruiter, she said that most jobs around here in my field only give 2 weeks of paid vacation per year. For someone who lives far from family in CT and wishes to visit his family a few times per year, that's awful. How will I have enough time to take a "fun" nonfamily vacation for myself and have some days available for personal days, 3-day weekends, etc?

Plus, I'm running out of budgeted money to stay here and continue living with no job. I can't really go beyond the end of Feb unless I either (a) secure employment by the end of the month, or (b) sell some stock, which would allow me to stay here for about two more months. But even then, I'm not compelled to look for a job that only gives two weeks of vacation per year. How pathetic.

I would follow the other advice given above, or at least listen to it. To your amazement over the vacation time, I ask how in the hell are you ever going to find a place to live? There is no perfect place, as stated many times. You let one thing completely change your mind.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,770,444 times
Nep, this got to stop.

You were most upset when the Charlotte city data board told you that most jobs had an expectation of more than a 40 hour work week ( especially if you expect to get ahead in it). Now you're whining about vacation. Then you were also upset that your recruiter said you should really get a CPA designation, which you felt was too much pressure.

You've been going on about how you want the best life and only the best in life. To my way of thinking you've got a very big disconnect between what you want and reality.

Basically, I think you don't really want to work. You keep leaving jobs. In the past four years, you've had a few. You'd like to cruise along with lots of vacation, a minimal work week, no further education, lots of vacation to start in a new job, perks. You'd also like a nice, modern house, in a good area, so on and so forth. I'm sure you also think a big raise would be nice too for doing the same job you just quit.

Mostly you want all the rewards in life without effort or merit. It just doesn't work that way.

I hope things turn out OK for you, but keep drifting along like this with all the scattered thinking and it may not.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

Mostly you want all the rewards in life without effort or merit. It just doesn't work that way.

It just doesn't work that way...................for men.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,212,434 times
At your stage you need to look at big picture. Not nit-pick everything. No trying to judge you, but at 28 you should be looking at your career, your future, and focus on that. Things like the weather, congestion, sexual orientation of bar patrons-- these should be things I will worry when I am about to retire.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I think we all need to let up on Nep a bit. I know it has been hard after listening to him complain about where he lives and works all these years but still, he is young and is learning a lesson by doing this. I admit it is learning that lesson the hard way. He needed to get out of Connecticut to see the rest of the world and see that maybe it is not that bad here afterall. Is it perfect, no but then again no place is.

Still I do have to wonder what he was thinking when he says he can only live in NC until the end of the month before running out of money. You should definitely have enough money for a couple of months while searching for a job. Even if he finds one tomorrow, he will likely not start for a couple of weeks and a paycheck will not be in hand for a couple of weeks beyond that. I do not want to even ask about health insurance.

Nep I wish you the best in finding a new job wherever that ends up being. Jay

Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Even if he finds one tomorrow, he will likely not start for a couple of weeks and a paycheck will not be in hand for a couple of weeks beyond that.
It is tax season. He could sign on to be a blockhead(H&R) for a couple months.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post

How rude, but anyway...

I don't believe in businesses controlling my life. Where I live, what I can do with my time and what major life decisions I can make. I took radical action by quitting my job in Nov for personal and medical reasons. I was not going to stay hostage to a job that was demoralizing my career and life, not to mention constant verbal and emotional abuse from management. I have no regrets leaving. Seriously.

And yes, if living far from family, vacation time is important to me. I would like to see my family fairly often. Maybe three times a year. Two weeks is REALLY pushing it, if living far from family. Three weeks is better, however.

And with most large corporations, vacation time is not negotiable. It's standardized for every employee.

Finally, yes, my resume is excellent. All I had to do was switch my address on LinkedIn from Hartford, CT to Charlotte, NC, and boom, a recruiter got in touch with me within days. We met and discussed opportunities and she had me apply to three jobs in the area. The job market is indeed competitive here, because of the influx of newcomers looking for work (including myself), so I'm evaluating the risk of staying here beyond February.

If it doesn't work out, I have two options. I could go back to CT and live with parents temporarily while looking for a job anywhere within a 3-hour drive. Or, I could go to Tampa FL and live with grandparents temporarily while looking for a job in the Tampa and Orlando areas. But, based on all of my travels, I would rather go back to CT. And if I go back to CT, I would be interested in looking for a job in Fairfield or New Haven counties. At least live in a different area of CT. I'd apply to jobs in Providence, too. But not Hartford. I'm seriously over it.

Of course, my concern is....can I really be successful and live comfortably alone on a single income in southwestern CT? I'd probably be starting at around $70K. I don't want to live in an area where I would feel poor compared to the average person, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut