Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 38,118 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to the hartford area, and are looking for a scenic (as in hills and trees) small town/country area to live that is still commutable to hartford. Good schools would be second on the list and does anyone have pictures? Some of these travel web sites and books do not do justice. We live in Minnesota, and I know some of the most scenic drives and places on these sites never hit the map.

Thanks so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
There are many commutable towns in greater Hartford that are with 45 minutes of Hartford that have a woodsy hilly ambiance.

West of Hartford, Avon, Farmington, Canton, are very attractive towns, with hills, and woods.

North and west of Hartford, Suffield, Grandby, East Granby are small, charming and offer a New England charm.

East of Hartford, Bolton, Willington, Coventry, Stafford and Tolland are quiet, with wooded hills and little development.

Southeast of Hartford is Hebron and Marlborough; both are popular small towns.

You may find pictures of these towns my visiting the towns individual web sites.

Town of Farmington
Bolton, Connecticut -- Welcome to the Bolton, CT Official Web Site
Welcome to Avon, CT
Town of Canton, Connecticut - Home
Town of Suffield, CT - Home
Welcome to Granby, CT
East Granby, Connecticut 06026 - Official East Granby Town Website - Home
Welcome to Willington, CT
Town of Coventry, Connecticut -- Welcome to the Town of Coventry's Official Web Page
Town of Stafford - CT - About (http://www.staffordct.org/history.html - broken link)
tolland.org
Town Of Hebron, CT
Town of Marlborough, Connecticut

There may be pictures at these sites.
Also visit Visit Connecticut - 52 Great Connecticut Getaways (http://www.tourism.state.ct.us/getaways/getaways.asp - broken link)

Welcome to the state!

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-25-2007 at 05:56 AM..

Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I live in Marlborough and this area definitely fits the bill. It takes me 25 minutes to get to downtown Hartford...I think it is like 18 miles or something like that, but that will depend on what part of town you live in. It is quiet here, about 6,000 people, one traffic light, a couple of restaurants, no fast food (well there is a Subway and Dunkin Donuts), a small food market, a post office...basically there is stuff in town if you need them in a pinch but most people travel to the big supermarkets in Glastonbury, East Hampton, or Colchester, depending what side of town you live on. The town has a rural feel but you are a 15-20 minute drive to just about anything you would need. It is mostly rolling hills, lots of woods (state land) around, and most houses are on lots that are well over an acre with some privacy. There is a lake here for town resident's use and is nice to go swimming in the summer.

I really like this area and would include Hebron as another contender. I would say Colchester too but from what I have heard Marlborough and Hebron's schools are far superior to Colchester's. Hebron and Marlborough each have their own elementary school then have a regional school district for middle and high school.

I don't have any pictures, but just imagine rolling hills covered by trees...that is pretty much Marlborough in a nutshell.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 AM

66 posts, read 346,803 times
Look up in the quiet corner as they call it: towards the Mass/RI border. Woodstock, Brooklyn, Dayville. They are still farming towns. Also around UCONN is very scenic. Just don't live next to it because you'll be with 10,000 kids

Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
camben4 - A lot will depend where your job will be in Hartford. I recommend that if your job is located outside Hartford to try to live on that side of the city. Commuting through Hartford can be difficult during rush hour so why live somewhere that makes the commute more difficult. Northwest of Hartford is the beautiful Farmington Valley with the upscale suburbs of Avon, Farmington and Simsbury. They have excellent schools and a lot of family related activities. The feel there is rural/suburban in character. For a little more rural character there is Granby to the north of Simsbury. It is a great town with very good schools and very firendly people. There is also Canton and Burlington located west of Avon and Farmington. All very nice towns.

Souteast of Hartford is Glastonbury, an upscale suburban town with some rural areas. It has excellent schools and a lot of family related activities. For a more rural area, I find Hebron and Marlborough to be beautiful and convenient to Hartford as well. They have very good schools too. Bolton is also very nice.

Good luck and welcome. Jay

Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofCT View Post
Look up in the quiet corner as they call it: towards the Mass/RI border. Woodstock, Brooklyn, Dayville. They are still farming towns. Also around UCONN is very scenic. Just don't live next to it because you'll be with 10,000 kids
The problem with that area is it would be one hell of a commute to Hartford. Woodstock to Hartford is probably at least an hour without traffic or foul weather coming into play. It is beautiful out that way though.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,953 times
Burlington is a very scenic, wooded & hilly town with fine schools, and it borders Harwinton.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM

These are really helpful, thanks! We're also planning to buy a parcel and build. Anyone have any ideas what the price range is per acre, and availability? Ideally, we would like to be in more rural-like area, staying out of suburb-land. Commuting is inevitable in our case, so we would like it to at least be a pretty drive, and come home to a pretty place.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Prices here really go by buildable lot more than acreage. Though you will pay more for a larger lot, unless it can be subdivided the price would be only slightly more. Lot prices in the more rural towns will run you between $125k to $220k depnding on the town and size of lot. Jay

Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM

You said towns, now what about buying land in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut