Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times

Advertisements

I was shocked when I moved from Westchester.....I figured, "Yea, lower property tax", then we got hit with personal property tax on our cars, and even our camper....put us right back in line with Westchester overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 AM

37 posts, read 30,681 times
When I moved back to CT from NYC I bought an older car to save on insurance and car taxes. It finally broke down, I bought another older car and it broke down within months(just bad luck I guess).

So I finally had to buy a newer car and was slapped with a nice $600 bill for my car taxes. I don't mind the car taxes if it wasn't for the fact that our roads are still rated very poorly AND we will be seeing tolls soon.

The state brings in over 600 million dollars every year in car taxes. That's around 28 grand per mile of road. (Ct has 21,000 miles in roads)http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...ad_mileage.pdf

Now, since I've only been to 6-7 states in my lifetime I'm curious what exactly makes our roads so bad? Is it the traffic? I only drive between exits 17-27 on I-91 N/S so I don't get to see roads from all over the state.

Last edited by walbeb; 03-27-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
I forgot about the threatened tolls. If that goes through, then car tax definitely needs to go stat. Pigs get fat/hogs get slaughtered. Our politicians in Hartford need to remember this and recognize the fact that they're becoming more piggish by the day...

Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Owners of cars registered in Greenwich and other towns with low vehicle tax rates could wind up paying more -- a lot more -- under a controversial proposal that is gaining traction in the General Assembly.

State Rep. Jeffrey Berger, D-Waterbury, is calling for the state to enact a uniform mill rate for motor vehicles, which threatens to pit wealthy municipalities where there is a tangible love affair for expensive imports against their less well-to-do neighbors.

Read more: Car tax rate proposal has some seeing red - Connecticut Post
Lets face it ..we are a bunch of suckers....I tell you this..the reason I left CT was because of the COL. The reason I came back was weather and family. The reason I will leave again when I retire is COL.

Edit: I do agree we should pay more as we have fantastic schools...but the never ending spending in this state will eventually drive everyone out. It needs to get controlled.

Last edited by jp03; 03-27-2015 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: i want to

Old 03-27-2015, 02:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Then how do you propose to pay for the roads we drive on each day? Without a viable and dependable source of money, our roads will just get worse. Jay
Our roads here in Fl are fine with no personal property tax nor income tax and only $38 to register vehicle,also no emmissions.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Our roads here in Fl are fine with no personal property tax nor income tax and only $38 to register vehicle,also no emmissions.
But its sooooo hootttttttt.... lol

Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Our roads here in Fl are fine .
Maybe because you're in Florida and you don't have the cold weather damage that we get here in CT. Our roads are riddled with huge pot holes winter after winter.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe because you're in Florida and you don't have the cold weather damage that we get here in CT. Our roads are riddled with huge pot holes winter after winter.
AND its always so HOT

Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbeb View Post
When I moved back to CT from NYC I bought an older car to save on insurance and car taxes. It finally broke down, I bought another older car and it broke down within months(just bad luck I guess).

So I finally had to buy a newer car and was slapped with a nice $600 bill for my car taxes. I don't mind the car taxes if it wasn't for the fact that our roads are still rated very poorly AND we will be seeing tolls soon.

The state brings in over 600 million dollars every year in car taxes. That's around 28 grand per mile of road. (Ct has 21,000 miles in roads)http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...ad_mileage.pdf

Now, since I've only been to 6-7 states in my lifetime I'm curious what exactly makes our roads so bad? Is it the traffic? I only drive between exits 17-27 on I-91 N/S so I don't get to see roads from all over the state.
The vehicle property tax isn't paid to the state. It stays at the municipal level and is put into the city or town fund which pays for town roads, schools, libraries, town parks, etc.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Let's chalk that up to being a net beneficiary of federal tax revenue. Florida gets roughly $1.40 for every dollar sent to the federal coffers. Connecticut is generally receives in the 0.70 range. In other words, your beautiful roads have been brought to you by the residents of CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut