Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM

20 posts, read 120,680 times

Advertisements

I was on the CT DMV website, and it says that there is a property tax on all vehicles. The website stated that the tax was "based on an asessment of 70% of the vehicle's value." Can anyone clarify for me just how much tax I can expect to pay? My current vehicle is worth about $20,000.
Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,196 times
It will depend on the mil rate of the town you live.
70% of your car value is $14,000, so as an example, if the mil rate of your town is $17.50 (per thousand of value), you would multiply 14X17.50 and that would equal $245. I understand you can pay over several payments.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambar371 View Post
It will depend on the mil rate of the town you live.
70% of your car value is $14,000, so as an example, if the mil rate of your town is $17.50 (per thousand of value), you would multiply 14X17.50 and that would equal $245. I understand you can pay over several payments.
Some jurisdictions offer bi-annual or even quarterly payments. Most require it to be paid in one installment. For your convenience, they'll gladly take VISA or MasterCard.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:29 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,701 times
Vehicle property tax: yep this is one of the things I love MOST about Ct!! Your fun has only just begun. Wait till your vehicle assesment. They pull some of these numbers right out of their a--. My town sends the bills out July, due by August 1st. I am an automotive hobbyist/enthusiast. My trade knowledge far exceeds what anyone on the town tax board could ever comprehend about actual resale or wholesale values. They are rarely 100% accurate when cross checking vehicle info.
Be sure you check online with both NADA and the Kelley Bluebook to get a WHOLESALE value of your vehicle. Be honest with actual condition, equipment as ordered from the factory, and mileage. If the figures dont line up with what the so called "Taxperts" figured they could rheem you for be ready to provide proof right off the internet .
Im not being cynical. Its just flat out wrong. You paid vehicle tax the day you purchased new. If used, you paid the day you registered the thing. The Governor has been trying to rid us of this rediculous tax since last year.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM

113 posts, read 325,937 times
Depends on your city/town. Get the mill rate from the assessors office first then multiply it by 70% book. Greenwich with low mill rate is nothing other town you'll pay up the nose.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 AM

20 posts, read 120,680 times
Default Millrate clarification

Thanks for your responses. To clairfy- is a millrate the same whether it is real estate, property, or personal tax? Or, are there different millrates depending on what is being taxed? I appreciate the help!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,185 times
No - mill rates vary by town, not by what us being taxed. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb2008 View Post
Thanks for your responses. To clairfy, is a mill rate the same whether it is real estate, property, or personal tax? Or, are there different mill rates depending on what is being taxed? I appreciate the help!
Personal tax, or, more appropriately, personal income tax, is something totally different.

Real property and personal property taxes are charged at the same mill rate. Real property tax is on real estate; personal property tax is on automobiles, boats, and motorcycles. For businesses, its scope is broadened to include computer equipment, carpeting, furniture and fixtures, etc. I believe the livestock head tax has been repealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut