Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 15,297 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Brooklyn, NY to the Bristol area. I've been trying to get moving quotes from different companies but so far they seem to vary from about $1200 to almost $3000!! We have a 3 bedroom apartment, roughly 700 sq. ft. Anyone move recently who can share what the movers cost? Any mover recommendations?

Also, we don't have an apartment in Bristol yet. We're open to looking at surrounding areas as well. Can anyone recommend a good realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 PM

76 posts, read 193,515 times
Stay out of the west end if you end up in bristol. This is unfortunately where 80% of the rents are in town. But, it's pretty bad these days. It quickly got bought up by slum lords and a lot of section8 moved in.

divinity st/park st area and surrounding streets.

1500 honestly sounds reasonable.

You could always rent a truck for 50 bucks a day + mileage and do it yourself.....

Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
I would agree that about $1500 a month of more is good for a 3 bedroom. Do public schools matter?
You could look in Bristol, Farmington, Southington or Wolcott if commuting to Bristol. They would all make for a short commute.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM

332 posts, read 522,955 times
I have used All Star Moving multiple times (within NY and NY->CT) and they did a great job, pretty sure they are on the low end of your scale.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 PM

73 posts, read 259,552 times
which all star? please send me PM if not comfortable posting. i googled them and saw at least 3 in ny area with all star name. thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM

332 posts, read 522,955 times
All Star Moving and Storage
I am not at all related to them, just have had good experiences.
Remember to tell any mover you get if you have a narrow/difficult driveway so they don't bring the largest truck.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM

I thought I'd update this thread. We successfully made the move. After getting tons of quotes, we decided to go with Moishe's Moving Services (Moishe's® New York Movers & Storage, Local Movers NYC Moving Companies Quotes). Someone from Moishe's came by our apartment in Brooklyn, and gave us a flat rate estimate for the move. The price was just right and worth it considering we didn't have to worry about any hidden charges. The entire crew was very professional and careful. I highly recommend them.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousDusk View Post
I thought I'd update this thread. We successfully made the move. After getting tons of quotes, we decided to go with Moishe's Moving Services (Moishe's® New York Movers & Storage, Local Movers NYC Moving Companies Quotes). Someone from Moishe's came by our apartment in Brooklyn, and gave us a flat rate estimate for the move. The price was just right and worth it considering we didn't have to worry about any hidden charges. The entire crew was very professional and careful. I highly recommend them.

May I ask what you paid? Was it the same as what you were quoted or did it go up once the move was complete? And do they include boxes or do you have to purchase them?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 AM

They did not include boxes. I had a hook-up at a box company so paid cost for the boxes. We had over 100 boxes of varying sizes plus furniture (sleeper-sofa, overstuffed chair, queen bed, crib, 4 dressers, tv, 4 bookcases, 2 desks, kitchen cart, wooden trunk, etc...) in our 3 bedroom apartment and paid a flat $2000. They wrapped all the furniture, including the mattress and sofa, in shrink wrap and protected the tv at no additional charge. We didn't pay extra for anything. Gas, tolls, mileage - all were included. We did, however, treat the movers (4 guys) to lunch, water/beverages, and tipped them.

Some things that affected the price was the amount of furniture (our original quote was for $2300 but we sold a few items - loveseat, twin bed, kitchen table, microwave, air conditioner - at the last minute so they were happy to reduce our quote).

We were also moving from a 1st floor apartment to another 1st floor apartment. They would have charged us more if they had to carry up/down stairs or in an elevator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut