Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM

87 posts, read 214,539 times

Advertisements

We recently switched to eating almost exclusively organic produce and meats and would like a source for more reasonably priced items (please no comments about organic vs. not-organic). We do most of our shopping at a combination of Fairway and Mrs. Greens. Occasionally Stop & Shop and we also recently tried out the Trader Joes in Darien.

My sense is that Mrs. Greens and Fairway are roughly comparable net-net. Fairway may be a little less expensive. Trader Joes and Stop & Shop both seem cheaper but with much more limited organic selection. Any other options to consider? I suspect Whole Foods is more expensive but I have not shopped there in a long time.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
I have not checked Whole Foods for meat prices in a while, but I find their prices vary widely. For example, their cheeses and some produce are astronomically priced, but some of the produce and packaged goods are reasonable. It varies widely. Fairway might be your best bet.

Does Stew Leonard's have organic produce or meat?

If you don't mind traveling and freezing meats, you could get some great grass fed beef at Stewart Farm in Bridgewater: Stuart Family Farm - Home

I get their meat sometimes at Villa Gourmet in Milford, I've also found Robert Treat Farm in Milford to be great for produce. They grow it themselves - and while not 100% certified organic, it's pretty close and really high quality.

Unfortunately your area is low on independently owned health food grocers. I really like New Morning in Woodbury and Edge of the Woods in New Haven, but that's too far for you.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM

462 posts, read 737,118 times
It's actually pretty odd. For an area of the country that claims to be so quaint and old world, there isn't a single real private butcher in Fairfield County. And don't give me that place in Southport, that place stinks.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,031 times
whole foods meat in general is very high priced, seafood too...for example, cod filet, a local product, which I go and catch myself regularly (I'm lucky in that respect, been fishing offshore since I was very young) was $13.99 a pound last time I looked, and it didn't even look that good.

Have to catch things there when they run a special....but they are high priced. We've been enjoying some buffalo steaks and burgers when they are available...two buffalo burgers came out to about $3.50, not bad. Steaks we bought sirloin, not bad either, but the filet mignon and ribeye cuts were close to $18 a pound, that's pricey, for us anyway.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM

462 posts, read 737,118 times
For fish, you can't do better than Bridgeport Lobster and Shellfish. Not exactly in the best area, but they sell wholesale to places like Stews, Whole Foods, etc. So you are guaranteed to be getting a good price by cutting out the middle man. Their tuna is damn near sushi grade.

Meat like I said though, is an issue. Whole foods has quality, but at a borderline illegal price premium. Stews in Norwalk is honestly can be hit or miss, but at least they employ experienced butchers. Zeytina packed up and split town, still owing some 50k in back taxes. Balducci's in Wesport is also hit or miss, and the prices make Whole Foods seem reasonable.

No real, honest to goodness private butchers though.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,235 times
Fjord Fisheries in Greenwich (Cos Cob) is great for seafood - pricey, but much better quality than your average supermarket. I like Whole Foods and Balduccis for produce, but they're not exactly bargain places. Trader Joes has less selection, but the prices are the best.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
For fish, you can't do better than Bridgeport Lobster and Shellfish. Not exactly in the best area, but they sell wholesale to places like Stews, Whole Foods, etc. So you are guaranteed to be getting a good price by cutting out the middle man. Their tuna is damn near sushi grade.

Meat like I said though, is an issue. Whole foods has quality, but at a borderline illegal price premium. Stews in Norwalk is honestly can be hit or miss, but at least they employ experienced butchers. Zeytina packed up and split town, still owing some 50k in back taxes. Balducci's in Wesport is also hit or miss, and the prices make Whole Foods seem reasonable.

No real, honest to goodness private butchers though.
This old thread covered this question:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-shops-ct.html

In it StratfordCT notes that Sorrento's Italian Importers on the corner of Main Street and Capitol Avenue in Bridgeport has a butcher. I had for got about them but my family use to go there a lot for quality meats. You might want to check them out. Jay

Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
In my experience, Big Y has the best meat for the price. Unfortuantely, they have no presence is lower FFC. Places like Caraluzzis, Anconas in Ridgefield and the Village Market in Wilton tend to have good quality meat, and the prices are less than Whole Foods, but still not cheap.

There is a butcher shop in Ridgefield, but its expensive.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM

87 posts, read 214,539 times
What about organic farms or farmers markets in the area? Anything worth considering? Even up into Ridgefield, Wilton, Bedford/Pound Ridge maybe? We go through a huge amount of produce weekly so we could possibly stock up on the weekends.

For meats, we go through more poultry than beef or seafood. I am reasonably ok with the ~$4/lb I currently pay for organic chicken since I don't expect to find vastly better pricing.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This old thread covered this question:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-shops-ct.html

In it StratfordCT notes that Sorrento's Italian Importers on the corner of Main Street and Capitol Avenue in Bridgeport has a butcher. I had for got about them but my family use to go there a lot for quality meats. You might want to check them out. Jay
M&M Farms in Milford has a butcher too, but I've never tried their meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut