Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stook1 View Post
I know it is super tempting to throw in one's two cents about the benefit of organic foods. This is why I specifically tried to preempt comments like yours in the OP. Please keep the thread constructive.
I've never demean organic foods in anyway. Its value is subjective to different people and Im in no place to judge if its good or not good.

HOWEVER, I need to let people know that 99.9999999% of the organic food they buy from ANY for profit ORGANIZATIONS are not organic (at least not organic to the standards of most organic food buyers). And this is coming from someone who has reviewed hundred's of ingredients that were declared "organic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I saw that. But I hope you do realize the organic industry has been hijacked by the same Big Food Inc., which has been selling processed food for the masses.

Nothing is organic in the grocery stores anymore, unless if you buy from a "real" farmer with his own produce. Or if you have a cow tied in your porch, or hens in the garden :d
Thats a smart guy here. You work in food industry?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Thats a smart guy here. You work in food industry?
Nooooo, I have invested in food stocks and during the due diligence I came across their own reports about how they are getting into the organic food craze and riding the gravy train. Some of them were restricted newletters and one can easily put the pieces together and draw a picture where Food Inc., has already crushed the little guys and has embraced the organic industry craze head on. People are contributing to the organic industry fund, even those who can't afford it but do it for the sake of being "healthy"

They love their shiny egg box which screams omega, free range, naturally grown, non-incubated blah blah blah key words. A little technical and even regular food can look organic. It's become so bad the local little guys have been squeezed out by the biggies.

The real organic food makers died even before they were starting to let wings out to fly. And Food Inc. has best friends in the USDA, USFDA etc., to approve all kinds of crap

But I doubt if anything is even 100% organic. There are chemicals coming into play at some point.

There is an alternative - reduce meat and eat more veggies. Reduce dairy and do more fruits. Give up on universal dairy products like half and half, cream......... but you know people love their little starbucks toys

Honestly, the last time I drank directly from a cow, I was in another country. It's not like I sucked on the cow's udders LMAO, but fresh off the cow, then take home and pasteurize it. Just one glass a day. Even if it's not fat free, it's not gonna kill you.

And I wonder why Americans take meat EVERY single day, even three regular meals. Meat is considered a delicacy in my culture. It's taken on special days, like a Sunday. Pops would take us all to Sunday mass and there will be a banquet at home with chicken, lamb and goat. Only on Sunday. Then, Monday thru Saturday it's back to carrot, radish, lettuce...

What's really selling crap to the masses here is the excessive amount of chicken and pork, mass made and reared in bulk to satisfy a population that consumes it every single day. That kind of breast enhanced chicken every day actually puts chemicals into your system in the long run. That's why people are forced to go organic I guess, which we all know is not really organic.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
That's why people are forced to go organic I guess, which we all know is not really organic.

Unless you buy directly from a farm, and several of us have posted links to farms and farmer's markets where you can buy fresh meat/chicken/milk/veggies without resorting to grocery stores. I don't understand why we are beating this organic/non-organic horse to death.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
There is an alternative - reduce meat and eat more veggies.
Well, eat more veggies is good advice - but why eat less meat? Humans need a good COMPLETE protein source (soy is not complete and has plant estrogens) and we're naturally omnivores. In fact, our diet in nature was mostly meat. Our bodies are made for it and we need a steady intake of animal protein for optimal health.

Better advice would be to reduce refined and processed flours, sugars, and overall high glycemic intake foods. And limit portions. That is what is driving the majority of obesity in this country.

Quote:
Honestly, the last time I drank directly from a cow, I was in another country. It's not like I sucked on the cow's udders LMAO, but fresh off the cow, then take home and pasteurize it. Just one glass a day. Even if it's not fat free, it's not gonna kill you.
There are several farms and health food stores in CT that sell raw milk. There are strict requirements by the state for the cleanliness and sterilization processes the farms use. Pasteurizing it defeats the purpose of eating it raw. The raw milk has more nutrients and has enzymes vs. the pasteurized form (not to mention the benefits of grass fed cattle). The enzymes help digest the milk. That's the problem with store bought milk and allergies, it's a challenge for the body to break it down without naturally occurring enzymes that exist in raw foods.

But I digress.

Last edited by Stylo; 06-07-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut