Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
Indeed Greenwich and esp. Darien don't compare to Stamford, New Canaan in culinary excellence and diversity.
When I was living in Greenwich in the earlier part of the decade I was very disappointed with the dining options. We would often head to Stamford or White Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
When I was living in Greenwich in the earlier part of the decade I was very disappointed with the dining options. We would often head to Stamford or White Plains.
Why you bein all negative and hatin on Greenwich.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why you bein all negative and hatin on Greenwich.
LOL, don't get me wrong, Greenwich is an awesome town. But for being one of the most affluent towns in the nation, it's lacking a bit when it comes to food, and what is there is extremely overpriced. I do like Upper Crust bagels in Old Greenwich and Aux Delices in Riverside for catering though.

Speaking of catering, Susan Kane in Stamford is absolutely fantastic.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,092,523 times
another good one I just remembered in South Glastonbury is "Char Koons" on Rt. 17 by Gardners' market. It is billed as "Pacific Rim Cuisine", good mix of chinese, thai, japanese, etc. I had a dish there of prawns with melon in a white sauce. Sounds like it wont work but it was outrageous.

Carbone's in Hartford for Italian is excellent as well

Morton's in Hartford tough to beat for a good steak, way better than Ruth Chris to us anyway.

this one you wouldnt call a restaurant but Whole Foods in Glastonbury has some outstanding pizzas/sandwiches/salads.

Also, Sharpe Hill Vineyards in Pomfret has an outstanding restaurant, you need to make reservations weeks in advance, I'm not a fan of CT wines, they are too light for me but their restaurant is amazing, food was tops, I recommend the lamb chops or the shrimp creole. A little pricey and out of the way though.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I've been *this* close to opening a food establishment in the past as one of my passions is food. Actually, I wanted to do a gourmet food truck like you see in other cities like Portland, LA, Frisco etc and CT sorely lacks. Something akin to this:

SPENCER ON THE GO French Take-Away- San Francisco

I remember we had things like this in Connecticut when I was a child and my grandma and my mother would get food from these trucks every morning to work. Now that made me think, what happened to these FOOD-TRUCKs!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
this one you wouldnt call a restaurant but Whole Foods in Glastonbury has some outstanding pizzas/sandwiches/salads.
I tried Whole Foods in Milford a few times and I found their food to be bland and, some of it, downright nasty. JMO though.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL, don't get me wrong, Greenwich is an awesome town. But for being one of the most affluent towns in the nation, it's lacking a bit when it comes to food, and what is there is extremely overpriced. I do like Upper Crust bagels in Old Greenwich and Aux Delices in Riverside for catering though.

Speaking of catering, Susan Kane in Stamford is absolutely fantastic.
Honestly, I'm finding Greenwich lacking in many areas these days. As I said in other threads, I'm really surprised the locals are not more "on it". Perhaps that's all they want in the town is a vanilla wrapper on a gold bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
another good one I just remembered in South Glastonbury is "Char Koons" on Rt. 17 by Gardners' market. It is billed as "Pacific Rim Cuisine", good mix of chinese, thai, japanese, etc. I had a dish there of prawns with melon in a white sauce. Sounds like it wont work but it was outrageous.

Also, Sharpe Hill Vineyards in Pomfret has an outstanding restaurant, you need to make reservations weeks in advance, I'm not a fan of CT wines, they are too light for me but their restaurant is amazing, food was tops, I recommend the lamb chops or the shrimp creole. A little pricey and out of the way though.
CharKoon is exactly as you described IMO and very good. I love their Rainbow Chicken.

As for the wine, I really enjoy going to Sharp Hill and appreciate their wines, but based on what you said, you really have to go to Chamard. Their reds are fantastic and overall have more depth.

Chamard Vineyards - Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I remember we had things like this in Connecticut when I was a child and my grandma and my mother would get food from these trucks every morning to work. Now that made me think, what happened to these FOOD-TRUCKs!
I honestly don't remember them. I do remember roach coaches everywhere. lol Maybe they were regulated out of town?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,961 times
^ Oh we had food truck in New Britain. And I'm not sure if they're around?

Now all I see is that annoying ice cream truck and thats pretty much it LOL

Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM

79 posts, read 203,759 times
Quote:

As mentioned, El Charrito in Stamford is excellent, featured on Food network's America's Top Food Trucks. Carlos and Alex (wife) are fantastic couple (he's on the grill, she's taking orders) and their hurauche is world class. Right next to Jackie Robinson park. Line is filled with cops, strippers, construction workers, bankers, and bikers.

Also the food trucks in New Haven (such as the access road off 95 by the water) are really good.

What we don't have yet as far as I know are the gourmet food trucks that are all the rage on the Left Coast and Manhattan and Brooklyn (cf the old Tavern on the Green space in Central Park.)

Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
^ Oh we had food truck in New Britain. And I'm not sure if they're around?
Stanley closed. That's probably what happened. No customers, no food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
What we don't have yet as far as I know are the gourmet food trucks that are all the rage on the Left Coast and Manhattan (cf the old Tavern on the Green space in Central Park.)
Exactly. It's not just the left coast, you'll find them in DC, NC, FL, GA etc as well. We just don't have any here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut