Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times

Advertisements

Am fixing up a date in the SONO brewhouse this weekend.

I heard good reviews from people, but they said it can be noisy.

So, is this a good place for a date? Good food? Anyone been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Am fixing up a date in the SONO brewhouse this weekend.

I heard good reviews from people, but they said it can be noisy.

So, is this a good place for a date? Good food? Anyone been there?
Noisy depends on when. It can be pretty dead during the week. Weekends can get packed, and with the high ceilings - it can be noisy. It's far from romantic, has a pub feel to it.

Food is above average for pub fare, but nothing spectacular. I would put it in the same category as SBC. Better than most chains. The Brew Burger is the stand-out on the menu. They have some good beers on tap. Old Speckled Hen is always a good time on draught.

SoNo kinda sucks for casual food options, and they're one of the better...

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Noisy depends on when. It can be pretty dead during the week. Weekends can get packed, and with the high ceilings - it can be noisy. It's far from romantic, has a pub feel to it.

Food is above average for pub fare, but nothing spectacular. I would put it in the same category as SBC. Better than most chains. The Brew Burger is the stand-out on the menu. They have some good beers on tap. Old Speckled Hen is always a good time on draught.

SoNo kinda sucks for casual food options, and they're one of the better...
She indicated she wanted to grab a beer or so, though I don't drink at all.

What could be other options where drinks are good and it's less noisy?

Anyone?

I picked this one coz I remember seeing it on route to the aquarium. Folks were sitting outside in the patio and it was pretty nice

Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
She indicated she wanted to grab a beer or so, though I don't drink at all.

What could be other options where drinks are good and it's less noisy?

Anyone?

I picked this one coz I remember seeing it on route to the aquarium. Folks were sitting outside in the patio and it was pretty nice
Ginger Man, but it's still pretty noisy. Much better for a date though.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Ginger Man, but it's still pretty noisy. Much better for a date though.
Or Barcelona. Those would be my top 2 date bars in SoNo...

Old 09-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Don't think I mentioned the Place in Guilford. Such a cool, unique place. Totally outdoors with a huge wood fire pit in the middle. Everything is great, but the Clams special is a standout. So, so, so good. It's BYOB, actually BYOA (bring your own anything).

The Place, at www.WeLoveClams.com

Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Has anybody ever eaten at RSVP up in Cornwall? (or maybe West Cornwall).. I've heard it's an absolutely amazing upscale place with just a few tables and a renowned chef and thats it.. But also that it's almost like a private club and several high powered people basically have the tables at regular weekly times..

Been looking for a sort of 'destination' type place and can't find much solid info about this place..

Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Has anybody ever eaten at RSVP up in Cornwall? (or maybe West Cornwall).. I've heard it's an absolutely amazing upscale place with just a few tables and a renowned chef and thats it.. But also that it's almost like a private club and several high powered people basically have the tables at regular weekly times..

Been looking for a sort of 'destination' type place and can't find much solid info about this place..
Never heard of that place but the G.W. Tavern in Washington Depot is fantastic, and not too pricey. Both Mia Farrow and Diane Sawyer are regulars there, and according to the manager, Diane and her producer husband were there a few hours before us (apparently they spend their weekends in the hills). But it's very good and highly recommended.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 PM

G.W. Tavern is good. So is Community Table, Good News Cafe and Mamie's in that area. Similar farm-to-table ethos.

Has anyone been to Dive Bar in West Haven on the Milford border? I'm so disappointed I just discovered it when summer is over. Fantastic burgers (better than Plan B) and bar food, great craft beers on tap, and one of the ONLY unobstructed Long Island Sound views in CT. The front opens like a garage door right to a full panoramic view of the wide end of the Sound. Very cool. Highly recommend it on a nice day.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Stylo, Barcelona it is, for tomorrow

Thanks, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut