Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM

323 posts, read 634,399 times

Advertisements

Yes, Pacific is the one that is closing. Heard they haven't paid their rent - they may have closed already. That whole development is all but abandoned. Bethel is very cute, but I was never very confident in the schools. We were in Fairfield recently - we brought the kids rock climbing. I like it down there, being from Westchester originally. Same type of feel. But my wife is dying for a warmer climate. We are checking out Raleigh in two weeks for the third time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I was very surprised to hear on the news this morning that the Fairfield and Stamford Borders are being added to the stores being closed. I thought these were doing well. I wonder if they are closing so they can sell of their remaining leases. Jay
I totally agree, Jay. I was very surprised. Obviously, Borders is doing much worse than a lot of the public initially thought. Closing these seemingly "stronger" stores is a pretty obvious sign they are cutting into the meat of their chains.

On a side note, I think the store in Stamford would be the PERFECT location for a Trader Joe's store.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Yes, I agree. We need more Trader Joe's. I'm shocked they haven't opened more in CT. I thought maybe Barnes & Noble would take over the Border's in Danbury, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Now that Border's in Fairfield is closing maybe they should bring back what rightly should be in that location-- The Fairfield Store. An excellent clothing store if there ever was one.
That and the original Henry's. Henry's was an old fashioned mens store piled high with good basic mens clothes. The service was great. It was sad when they went out of business. I won't comment on why that happened. Jay

Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,089,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
Yes, Pacific is the one that is closing. Heard they haven't paid their rent - they may have closed already.
Still open last Thursday.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 AM

I hope it makes it. My wife want to go back for our daughter's birthday. The kids get a kick out of it.

If the weather would just break, and we could get some good news from with the economy/media, I think people could relax enough to just go out and enjoy a bit. I'm saying a prayer, because these last few years have taken its toll on many of us.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

On a side note, I think the store in Stamford would be the PERFECT location for a Trader Joe's store.
Small building, very high rent, awkward parking situation. I think TJ's is about the last thing that would end up there. Maybe when A&P finally decides to throw in the towel, then you'll get your wish.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
There is already a Trader Joe's in nearby Darien, so I would be surprised it they opened one in Stamford. However, I think Greenwich would be a good location for another TJ's.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Small building, very high rent, awkward parking situation. I think TJ's is about the last thing that would end up there. Maybe when A&P finally decides to throw in the towel, then you'll get your wish.
That building is about the same size as a regular, typical Trader Joe's store. The one in Darien and the one in Fairfield are very similar size-wise.
That building that Borders sits in was a grocery store before Borders moved in, from what I hear.
Very high rent? That should not be a problem for TJ's. Awkward parking--kinda sorta, but the back part of the parking lot would be suitable.
A&P just renovated that store. Talk about awkward situation!! That store is cramped all to hell. Expensive too. blah. Speaking of expensive, Mrs Green's up there is so freakin' pricey. Trader Joe's will probably make them close if they move in.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
There is already a Trader Joe's in nearby Darien, so I would be surprised it they opened one in Stamford. However, I think Greenwich would be a good location for another TJ's.
Well, I understand your point. But the thing is, Stamford has about 125,000 people and no Trader Joe's. Darien has about 20k people with a TJs. Granted, Darien has a super wealthy population, but Stamford has a ton of wealthy, lower wealthy, upper middle class and middle class folks to easily support a store.
Greenwich might be a good location, yeah--I could see them coming in there too.
But since the Stamford demographics would fit their profile fine, I think they really should consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut