Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM

346 posts, read 613,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wow....another person relocating from NC to CT! Lol. I am seeing a pattern lately with this. Is NC really not all it's cracked up to be?
Most definitely not at all cracked up that great. The job market sucks and if you dont already have a job lined up...DONT MOVE HERE! Another thing I have learned is that although home prices and property taxes are much lower than NJ or Ny/CT areas...the cost of goods and services is not at all cheap.They tax your vehicles...plus hwy use taxes...sales tax is 7 3/4% The power infrastucture is poor as is cable Tv. Time Warner cable holds a monopoly. Culture wise its a shock. People of less education and economic means dump their garbage all over the roads...its not uncommon to drive down what otherwise would be beautiful backroads...only to find people have dumped their old tires,couches,mattresses.tv's,refrigerators and fast food restaurant garbage...not to mention all the beer bottles or cans of used motor oil. No one seems to care. Many poor people live in downtrodden mobile homes and their properties are total junk yards. But the main reason i want to relocate is for a better economic climate that will have me gainfully employed...plus i am from the NE originally and I'm missing it...So all those things you've read about NC being the new utopia for the Northeasterners isnt necessarily true..YMMV. I made the mistake of moving here just last Dec thinking I had a job lined up only to find out I didnt...Now i have a house to sell and hopefully wont get stuck with it..Ok thats enough for now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Thanks JV...
Work would be at the American School f/t Deaf 139 N.main W.Hartford...Lebanon is only 8 miles from Hebron so not that much further... I was also looking at Middletown...I know its not rural but from what I've seen its a nice town...comments? Also looking at New Britain??
I've been riding for 34 yrs and dont mind winter at all...as long as the roads are clear of snow and ice. I find its alot easier to stay warm than it is to stay cool...
Middletown is a small city. It has a nice downtown with some great restaurants and some very nice almost rural areas. It would be a great place to start out. There are many rentals there. You do have to be a bit careful with location but all in all it is a decent city. Jay

Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Middletown is a small city. It has a nice downtown with some great restaurants and some very nice almost rural areas. It would be a great place to start out. There are many rentals there. You do have to be a bit careful with location but all in all it is a decent city. Jay
Thanks Jay its only 20 miles from the school and I am gravitating towards Middletown. I like the small city atmoshpere with rural areas nearby...yet offers good options for rentals...I've been thru there numerous times and it always impressed me as an attractive place to live

Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Thanks Jay its only 20 miles from the school and I am gravitating towards Middletown. I like the small city atmoshpere with rural areas nearby...yet offers good options for rentals...I've been thru there numerous times and it always impressed me as an attractive place to live
The Westlake area has many rentals and it's not that "city". Middlefield is a great small rural area that borders Middletown yet feels miles away.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:48 PM

You all have been great with all your suggestions and its greatly appreciated. I'm awaiting an invitation for an interview. Looking forward to visiting soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut