Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,121,335 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there know about settings on a router to stream video better?

I have a linksys wireless WRT160N as my router. That is hardwired to my desktop running Windows Media Center (with a TV Tuner card). In my other room I have an xbox 360 with the media center extender (connecting wirelessly to the router)

I record tv shows on my desktop and can access them through my xbox 360 wirelessly but after about 1 minutes I only get audio as the video freezes up.

any thoughts?

Network Mode: Wirelss G only
Radio Band: Standard 20Mhz
Wide Channel: 9
Standard Channel: 11-2.462GHz

I've set up QoS for my xbox 360 MAC address to high (that got me from about 15 seconds until the video froze to about 1 minute before the video froze)

Anything on the frag threshold, rts threshold or the mtu settings I can change for a little better performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM

712 posts, read 2,155,727 times
It's doubtful you can make a single change on your router to fix.. (unless you’re having channel interference) you could read up on N spec's?? but the question is what is the mbit needed to play these videos? cause G can only do at good range 20-30 mbit..

I suggest maybe as a simple fix.. you try a ethernet cord to see if it doesn't pause.. then maybe you can look at Task Manager's (Networking) tab to see what mbit you’re doing.. and then see how this compares to doing it wirelessly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers