Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Odd; my machine (H-P Pavilions a6500f) states I have a 64 bit OS
OK That's a whole different animal. 64 bit OS's can fully address well over 4GB of memory. So you have 4GB and Windows can use it all. The only downside to 64 bit Windows is that some programs won't run on it and some hardware won't have drivers for it. I'd like to run 64 bit myself but I have a few programs that won't run under it and my scanner doesn't have a 64 bit driver so I stuck with Vista32.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
OK That's a whole different animal. 64 bit OS's can fully address well over 4GB of memory. So you have 4GB and Windows can use it all. The only downside to 64 bit Windows is that some programs won't run on it and some hardware won't have drivers for it. I'd like to run 64 bit myself but I have a few programs that won't run under it and my scanner doesn't have a 64 bit driver so I stuck with Vista32.
Thank you for that nugget of info: evidently Lexmark does not have a driver for my printer--------despite it supposedly being compatible with (at least earlier versions of) Windows Vista

OTOH: all of my other peripherals do work (scanner, camera, router).

Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Newegg.com - Top Sellers, AMD Motherboards, Motherboards

Look down this list at max memory supported.
Whoooaw, hossie. I'd like to have something like that.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Thank you for that nugget of info: evidently Lexmark does not have a driver for my printer--------despite it supposedly being compatible with (at least earlier versions of) Windows Vista

OTOH: all of my other peripherals do work (scanner, camera, router).
Yeah its the driver support is the biggest problem. They probably have a Vista32 driver but not 64. One big difference between the two is that Vista32 will install (after a warning) an unsigned driver. Vista64 will not accept an unsigned driver. Since getting drivers signed costs time and money, a lot of hardware makers won't bother, especially on an old model. If you have an application that won't run on 64 bit, you could always run it in a virtual machine. But with drivers, you're just stuck if it isn't supported.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah its the driver support is the biggest problem. They probably have a Vista32 driver but not 64. One big difference between the two is that Vista32 will install (after a warning) an unsigned driver. Vista64 will not accept an unsigned driver. Since getting drivers signed costs time and money, a lot of hardware makers won't bother, especially on an old model. If you have an application that won't run on 64 bit, you could always run it in a virtual machine. But with drivers, you're just stuck if it isn't supported.
At least printers are inexpensive (and this Lexmark was clunky even on the Mac Mini)............I will probably pick up an H-P printer and call it good.

Again; EscapeC, at least I now know what I am up against.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Vista is terrible. I had heard bad things about Vista but needed a new computer badly so I got a Dell XPS. It crashed in the first 2 weeks. I called the tech guys a Dell, told them what the computer was doing, and they immediately knew that the problem was Vista.

I have looked at IBM,HP, Dell, Alienware, Toshiba, etc and all of the computers come with Vista now. I desperately want XP.

Anyone know how to get a new computer without Vista on it???

Or I am considering getting a Mac and running parallels on it so I can put XP on it, but I know very little about that and how it works. Anyone running windows on a Mac?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Vista is terrible. I had heard bad things about Vista but needed a new computer badly so I got a Dell XPS. It crashed in the first 2 weeks. I called the tech guys a Dell, told them what the computer was doing, and they immediately knew that the problem was Vista.

I have looked at IBM,HP, Dell, Alienware, Toshiba, etc and all of the computers come with Vista now. I desperately want XP.

Anyone know how to get a new computer without Vista on it???

Or I am considering getting a Mac and running parallels on it so I can put XP on it, but I know very little about that and how it works. Anyone running windows on a Mac?
You believed someone from Dell? That's funny. And what does "crash" mean, anyway? People throw that term out a lot as if its a specific problem.

And how is it that I've been running Vista since December 06, haven't had a problem, and haven't seen Vista machines dying right and left in the field?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Crash meaning the dreaded corrupted blue screen. Computer will only boot up in safe mode. Yes, I guess the Dell guy could have been lying to me, but he told me they are having lots of problems with Vista. He then put in an order to send me a brand new computer which is on its way, but I am sending it back.

There is a new operating system coming out in 09, would it be better to wait to buy do you think?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
You could always buy XP and install it...

Newegg.com - windows xp home edition

Old 08-17-2008, 07:32 PM

I thought about doing that, but was told that the computer I ordered (Dell XPS1530) does not have the drivers that support XP, so I guess I would have to find the drivers. I just don't know enough about computers. I am thinking of getting a refurbished computer from dell with XP on it, Good idea?? Bad idea??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers