Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times

Advertisements

Had to imgaie, but the time has come to finally retire the elder statesman in our computer fleet, a creaky old Dell running Windows 98.

It will be replaced with a shiny new Dell laptop running the Vista platform.

Any ideas for the simplest way to take the data currently in thoe Win98 files and make them compatible for transfer to the new computer?

Just to make things really challenging, the Win98 unit doesn't have a CD unit capable of burning data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Had to imgaie, but the time has come to finally retire the elder statesman in our computer fleet, a creaky old Dell running Windows 98.

Any ideas for the simplest way to take the data currently in thoe Win98 files and make them compatible for transfer to the new computer?

Just to make things really challenging, the Win98 unit doesn't have a CD unit capable of burning data.

Are the computers capable of being networked together--can they be connected to your router at the same time? If so the easiest way would be to put all of the data you want transferred (programs themselves dont transfer, they need to be re-installed) into one folder and set the permissions to share, then place both systems in the same workgroup--make sure firewalls are down, then once that is completed just browse to the shared folder from your Vista machine and copy the data

Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Get this: Newegg.com - BYTECC BT-200 USB2.0 to IDE Cable With Power Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

You pull the hard disk out of the old machine and connect it to the new one via USB. Its by far the fastest and easiest way to get files off an old machine if you've got a decent amount of data. Its also a great tool to have around when a system takes a dump and you need the files back but you can't boot it.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:26 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
Quote:
You pull the hard disk out of the old machine and connect it to the new one via USB.
It might be a bit slow since the 98 will have a slower USB. I'm not sure if they even have the same kind of connection.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Get this: Newegg.com - BYTECC BT-200 USB2.0 to IDE Cable With Power Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

You pull the hard disk out of the old machine and connect it to the new one via USB. Its by far the fastest and easiest way to get files off an old machine if you've got a decent amount of data. Its also a great tool to have around when a system takes a dump and you need the files back but you can't boot it.
Thanks! Nice find. My old Win98 machine fizzled and fried a week ago. I was dreading taking the hard drives out and slaving them in one of my XP machines. This is a much easier solution - and at a good price. Ordering it now.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
It might be a bit slow since the 98 will have a slower USB. I'm not sure if they even have the same kind of connection.
No. You pull the IDE hard disk out of the 98 machine and connect it to the new PC which will have USB2.0.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 AM

16,670 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post

CG, I think it is possible to get a very good result, although it is a bit complicated. XP and Vista come with a feature called the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. In my experience, you need to get the program from the destination computer (since updates have made some versions incompatible with others), then install it on the source machine, run it and store the results in a file/folder on the local hard disk, then move the hard disk with a USB adapter and run the Wizard there to place your data on the new machine. Since you need the USB adapter anyway, you could even use it twice; once to move the Wizard from the Vista machine and then again to move the data TO the Vista system.

Hope this helps.

(I usually see you on the Maine forum.)

Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,922 times
Default it's been a while since you've been here but...

Hi, I'm trying to transfer some files from my uncle's windows 98 harddrive with the ide cable that you recommended to my vista computer. Trying is the operative word... I have connected the harddrive to the power cord and the ide cord to the usb port, but it is not showing up in my computer... what am I missing?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnthebox View Post
Hi, I'm trying to transfer some files from my uncle's windows 98 harddrive with the ide cable that you recommended to my vista computer. Trying is the operative word... I have connected the harddrive to the power cord and the ide cord to the usb port, but it is not showing up in my computer... what am I missing?
Two things to check:

1) Make sure the adapter is on right side up on the IDE connector. They're usually keyed somehow to prevent you from getting it on wrong, but not all are.

2) Try different jumper settings on the drive. There's three settings: Master, Slave, and Cable Select. Master is usually the correct one when using an IDE to USB adapter but honestly any of them may be the "correct" one depending on the particular drive and adapter. Be sure to unplug the drive from both power and the adapter before switching jumper settings.

Unfortunately there are a few old drives out there that just won't work with an adapter but 99% of the time it's one of the above. Be sure to give it some time before deciding it's not going to work. Windows can sometimes take a while to recognize a new drive and mount it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers