Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 19,178 times

Advertisements

well ive tried several different combinations thinking maybe i'd get lucky but nothing. my itunes just will not recognize my ipod. i plug it in and nothing happens. i tried plugging it in with itunes off and then on but neither worked. any advice as to what i shuld do now would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
restart your Ipod, look on apples website for further information on how to reset it. If I remember it is holding the center button and the top button for 6 seconds.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Switch on the "lock" button for the count of 5. then hold down the center/select button and the top/menu button until you see the apple appear, then release and it will restart.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,836 times
Are you sure it's your iPod? If it is someone else's, your iTunes will not recognize it. And, they all look alike.

For help on this topic, you really should give more information.

Which iPod?
Are you using a Mac or Windows?
How long have you had this iPod?
How long has it been since you last synced?
Has there been a software update since you last synced?

I had a similar incident with my iMac and a 60GB 5th gen iPod. It turned out that a software update was done on the computer that wasn't done on the iPod. The fix was to reset the iPod. I found out the exact steps to do it on Apple's web site.

Good luck and keep us posted until you get it fixed.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Are you sure it's your iPod? If it is someone else's, your iTunes will not recognize it. And, they all look alike.

For help on this topic, you really should give more information.

Which iPod?
Are you using a Mac or Windows?
How long have you had this iPod?
How long has it been since you last synced?
Has there been a software update since you last synced?

I had a similar incident with my iMac and a 60GB 5th gen iPod. It turned out that a software update was done on the computer that wasn't done on the iPod. The fix was to reset the iPod. I found out the exact steps to do it on Apple's web site.

Good luck and keep us posted until you get it fixed.
No, it will recognize the iPod but it will know you don't normally sync it to that computer, and it will ask you if you want to sync it to the 'new' library, thus erasing whatever you had on it. At least that's what happens when my wife plugs her ipod in to my computer to charge.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
No, it will recognize the iPod but it will know you don't normally sync it to that computer, and it will ask you if you want to sync it to the 'new' library, thus erasing whatever you had on it. At least that's what happens when my wife plugs her ipod in to my computer to charge.
That's the way they work. All iPods sync to only one computer at a time. Sync it to an alternate computer and it will erase before syncing to the music in iTunes on the new computer. This "feature" was part of Apple's original compromise to the music labels to thwart piracy. Without it, none of the labels would sign deals for Apple to sell their music.

You can, however, sync several iPods to a single computer.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 AM

26 posts, read 75,606 times
I've been having the same problem and have tried all solutions above but still it doesn't work.

any other ideas?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
moving to computers sub-forum... thanks!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 17,273 times
i have the same problem!!
Sometimes this thing pops up on my iPod, and it says "your ipod is ______" i forgot the word. but it means like not functioning correctly. Its an odd word, kinda creepy. If you no iPod's you no what I'm referring to. Does that pop up have anything to do with my iTunes not recognizing my iPod?

It may also be my USB plug in, because, I have a printer that wont be recognized by my computer even tho its plugged in, and since my iPod is doing the same thing, maybe that is signifying that there is just a problem with my USB plug in.

Well, if its not my USB plug in, any help what i should do?!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:27 PM

If the problem is the iPod, a simple reset will most likely do the trick. Check Apple's support web for instructions on your model iPod.

If you are using a Mac, I'd say find the original install disks that came with the computer and run the Hardware Diagnostic program. It will tell you if the USB port is broken. I think there may be a way to do the same thing on a Windows computer, but it most likely will vary with the hardware manufacturer.

In either case, the rule for troubleshooting is "divide and conquer." You don't know if it is the USB or iPod, so eliminate one. Test the USB port with other devices, or perhaps test the iPod itself. If all your music is safe on your computer, then you are OK to let the iPod sync to a different iTunes on another computer to make sure it works. Keep in mind that if it is the USB and you are not going to repair the USB port, you wont have access to re sync to your music again until you do. Repairing the USB may require replacing the motherboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers