Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,417 times

Advertisements

A good video on youtube is better than a thousand written words.

In this video they are installing a pci express card which uses a smaller slot than the one you ordered. Just look for a slot with the right size that will accommodate your usb card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mmjpHGuvY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,463,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
A good video on youtube is better than a thousand written words.

In this video they are installing a pci express card which uses a smaller slot than the one you ordered. Just look for a slot with the right size that will accommodate your usb card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mmjpHGuvY
Do you mean it doesn't have to attach to anything on the inside of the pc?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Do you mean it doesn't have to attach to anything on the inside of the pc?
It attaches when the card is seated firmly down into the slot. That's where it makes the connection.

Look at the video again, starting at 2:00 mins. into the video. That's where he says "you are going to give it a nice firm push down into the slot" ............ and the connection is made..... all done, except for the screw that will hold it in place.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,805,846 times
Quote:
Okay, I've bought it. I hope installing it on the pc will be easy with you telling me how.
Follow the link below for installing it and don't forget to download the driver software for it.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Follow the link below for installing it and don't forget to download the driver software for it.
Is the link you're talking about the video that's been posted? The pc I'm accessing is not in good working order which is why I'm reinstalling WindowsXP so tell me where to get the driver for this new usb port. Whatever got into that pc really messed it up, so the less I have to do, the better.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
It attaches when the card is seated firmly down into the slot. That's where it makes the connection.

Look at the video again, starting at 2:00 mins. into the video. That's where he says "you are going to give it a nice firm push down into the slot" ............ and the connection is made..... all done, except for the screw that will hold it in place.
I guess I'm confused due to no specific slot is designated and it sounds like put it in any available slot and it will be in the right place. ???

Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,805,846 times
Quote:
I guess I'm confused due to no specific slot is designated and it sounds like put it in any available slot and it will be in the right place. ???
If you got the one from the link, it goes into the longer white slot (any will do). If XP doesn't load its own software for the card then you will need to go the website listed on the ebay page to get drivers for it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If you got the one from the link, it goes into the longer white slot (any will do). If XP doesn't load its own software for the card then you will need to go the website listed on the ebay page to get drivers for it.
Yes, I bought the one from the link you posted. There are several empty slots on the back of this pc and all are grey in color and all are the same size. I've written down the website listed on the Ebay page to get the driver.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Oops! I did forget to download the driver software, however I installed the card as per the video and it works! So do I still need the driver?

I downloaded the Belarc Advisor, but can't find it on that xp computer. Where do you suppose it went? Getting the product key is the main reason for getting into that pc. Something is clearly wrong with the pc. Color is off and double clicking doesn't work, etc...

Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times
Quote:
Oops! I did forget to download the driver software, however I installed the card as per the video and it works! So do I still need the driver?

I downloaded the Belarc Advisor, but can't find it on that xp computer. Where do you suppose it went? Getting the product key is the main reason for getting into that pc. Something is clearly wrong with the pc. Color is off and double clicking doesn't work, etc...
No, a compatible driver is installed if it's working.

Did you install Belarc after you downloaded it? If not it won't be listed under your installed programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers