Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

I'll agree that youtube has poor customer service. Acorn does feed thru Roku nicely. I happen to like Brit tv more than texdave, but respect his choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Yep; I mostly like the Brit classic mystery writers who I have read most of long ago since i have been into it has they say since a teen. Only Dexter and some others modern are of interest I find. Local PBS Houston shows many and find most repeats of Brit shows seen already. I enjoyed Upstairs/Downstairs but frankly find Dowton Abby more soap opera with much poorer acting.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM

260 posts, read 909,065 times
I went through deciding what to do not long ago. I ended up buying a 32 inch Vizio with built in apps. I bought the smaller less expensive TV because I knew I would be buying another bigger one in the next year or so. I like what I have now but also wish I would have gotten one without apps cheaper and bought a roku. You have a much bigger selection of apps with the roku. I was also advised to get a roku with a remote. So when I buy my next TV I'll go that route and put the other one in the bedroom and still have access to netflix. My friend is on a very limited budget and she watches streaming using her laptop connected to her TV with HDMI cables. That may be a inexpensive way to go while you decide. One thing you might want know about the apps. Netflix will allow 2 people to stream at a time from anywhere. You can have 6 devices on the account. They also have a family plan that allows 4 people to stream from anywhere for $12.99. Hulu allows unlimited devices and only 1 can stream at a time. My brother has his daughter on his account. She is in college and watches on her tablet once in a while. When signing up for apps if you have a family you may want to find out how many can stream at one time. Good Luck

Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Another nod to Roku.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Keep in mind, only a limited number of movies are available for streaming with Netflix. It's one of the main reasons I don't subscribe to the service since I don't want to wait for DVDs to be sent through the mail. If they ever had 100% streaming (or close to it) then I would certainly subscribe.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Default Roku’s purple dongle

I recently discovered this little gem and would really like to hear anyone's opinion on it. How does it compare to a regular Roku box.

Here's the link to the article

Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
I don't see anything that would make me buy it to replace my XD

Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I recently discovered this little gem and would really like to hear anyone's opinion on it. How does it compare to a regular Roku box.

Here's the link to the article
It's basically Roku 1 hardware, so if you are tight for cash or space it might be OK, but I wouldn't replace my XD or Roku 3 with it.

I think it will do pretty well as an entry level device on price alone, but we'll have to see when it comes out.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Keep in mind, only a limited number of movies are available for streaming with Netflix. It's one of the main reasons I don't subscribe to the service since I don't want to wait for DVDs to be sent through the mail. If they ever had 100% streaming (or close to it) then I would certainly subscribe.
They have a pretty good sized movie catalog, but they have a great TV catalog.

We actually use both disk and streaming (along with Hulu and Amazon, since we don't have cable any longer). Once you get a nice list of DVDs in your queue you really aren't waiting, since they ship very quickly (2 or 3 day turn around in most places)

Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Thanks, very much appreciated. Our TV really isn't that old and (of course) we can't find the manual anywhere. I did check the menu and sub menu and there was no indication that our TV has streaming capabilities.
Get the model number off the back, and Google it. You will be able to download a manual for your TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers