Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,238,565 times

Advertisements

I really do not care for the new Hulu. I was content with sitting through commercials, and not paying a subscription fee (like television in the old days), where as now a lot of content is by subscription. Did they not generate enough revenue by selling commercial time? I hope that this new "Hulu Plus" thing fails and they revert to simply selling commercial time to generate revenue.

And people really wonder why so many others get television episodes and movies from torrents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 AM

573 posts, read 972,477 times
While, I obviously cannot see their books, keep in mind television producers want to be paid for showing their work on the web. If you were a television producer, you would also want to be paid. With all the adblockers on the web, it probably becomes harder and harder to pay producers for their content. Don't forget that this stuff doesn't get made for free

Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,994,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Did they not generate enough revenue by selling commercial time?
Hulu's content providers didn't like how Hulu threatened their regular TV and other distribution deals:

MediaPost Publications A Free Hulu May Not Be Sustainable 02/17/2011 (http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=145258 - broken link)

Quote:
I hope that this new "Hulu Plus" thing fails and they revert to simply selling commercial time to generate revenue.
The thing is that Hulu Plus still has commercials, so the subscription is moreso for accessing their back catalog. As for failing ... they won't, but they probably are not getting the growth they desire either. As for the pricing ... it could've been worse:

Hulu CEO Threatened to Quit Over Hulu Plus Pricing | Fast Company

Quote:
And people really wonder why so many others get television episodes and movies from torrents?
Sounds like the days before iTunes ... too many rules and regulations meant folks would rather steal instead of obtain their content via legal means.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,157,905 times
Thanks for reminding me - I needed to cancel my HuluPlus subscription within the next week to avoid being billed for another month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers