Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM

570 posts, read 1,287,466 times

Advertisements

My PC has Windows XP.
I want to keep the PC, so obviously I need to change to a New Version of Windows.

I'm confused as to what the difference is between purchase of the New Version Windows Install Disk (with the license) OR Upgrading to a New Version Windows ( with purchase of the license)?
I'm wondering is ...reinstalling Windows with the New Version essentially upgrading,.. isn't it

Probably a dumb question to all you pros out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times
Not sure what you're asking? XP qualifies as a previous OS to purchase the Windows 7 upgrade license (it's cheaper than the full version), but you can't actually do an upgrade, a format of the hard drive and clean install is required.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
How much RAM and Hard drive space do you have? Why do like you're current computer?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not sure what you're asking? XP qualifies as a previous OS to purchase the Windows 7 upgrade license (it's cheaper than the full version), but you can't actually do an upgrade, a format of the hard drive and clean install is required.
So purchasing an upgrade license rather than a full version is cheaper?

I've seen the new Window versions for sale but not just the ungrade license.
Would I get an installation disk? ... Or is it done online?

I was told the difference is .... when the new version is installed, it will automatically wipe out everything on the hard drive, ... where as if I take my PC to a shop and they 'save' all my programs and files and then install the new version and reinstall all my old programs and files, it is called an upgrade.

I'm thinking I could save all my stuff to an external hard drive myself and install the new version.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
How much RAM and Hard drive space do you have? Why do like you're current computer?
RAM is 2.75 GB.
It's a 500 GB Hard Drive with 427 GB of free space.
My current computer was put together less than 3 years ago and I should have had Windows 7 put on at the time, but I decided to put XP on because I had already purchased it ahead and I was so used to using XP. I was told at the time that using XP would limit the amount of RAM I could use, so I plan to add more RAM when I change to the new version of Windows.
Why get an entire new system if all it needs is a new version of Window.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM

Yes the upgrade is cheaper.

An upgrade is when you move to a newer version of Window without having to reinstall all of your programs, or backup and restore your data.

As I stated you cannot do an upgrade (in the normal sense, keeping all of your data and programs) when going from XP to Windows 7 or 8, and you do have to make sure your hardware is current enough for a newer OS.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Upgrade - Can only be installed if you own a previous version of Windows (usually going back 2-3 versions). Also, the Upgrade licence is permanently tied to the old version of Windows. So you're only allowed to install the new version of Windows on another computer if you're allowed to install the old version on a new computer as well (usually not the case when Windows came with the computer).

Full - Can be installed without owning a previous version of Windows. The advantage of Full is that you can install it on another computer at another time. This is typically more expensive... but Windows pricing has been competitive recently.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
RAM is 2.75 GB.
My current computer was put together less than 3 years ago and I should have had Windows 7 put on at the time, but I decided to put XP on because I had already purchased it ahead and I was so used to using XP. I was told at the time that using XP would limit the amount of RAM I could use, so I plan to add more RAM when I change to the new version of Windows.
Why get an entire new system if all it needs is a new version of Window.
Definately get more RAM.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
RAM is 2.75 GB.
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 come in 32 bit and 64 bit. The 32 bit versions have the same memory limitation as XP, about 3.5GB or so. You'll need to install the 64 bit version to utilize more RAM.

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help

Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
Quote:
My PC has Windows XP.
I want to keep the PC, so obviously I need to change to a New Version of Windows.

I'm confused as to what the difference is between purchase of the New Version Windows Install Disk (with the license) OR Upgrading to a New Version Windows ( with purchase of the license)?
I'm wondering is ...reinstalling Windows with the New Version essentially upgrading,.. isn't it

Probably a dumb question to all you pros out there

Here's the Windows 7 upgrade path: Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

and the Windpws 8 upgrade path: Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Upgrade Paths

Read the docs and it'll become clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers