Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM

332 posts, read 528,920 times

Advertisements

It's me again. In this post, because I might not get the flash drive right away, I'm also trying to upgrade from Windows Vista on my laptop to Windows 7. I don't want to lose my data, so I want to save it on a blank CD before I start the upgrade. Which CDs do you recommend? What are their prices and what stores can I buy them at? Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM

696 posts, read 1,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
It's me again. In this post, because I might not get the flash drive right away, I'm also trying to upgrade from Windows Vista on my laptop to Windows 7. I don't want to lose my data, so I want to save it on a blank CD before I start the upgrade. Which CDs do you recommend? What are their prices and what stores can I buy them at? Thanks again!!!
CDs only save 650-700 MB
If you have that little to back up, you may consider free
online storage.
Megaupload.com
Adrive.com
Photobucket.com

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times
If you had the flash drive handy Windows Easy Transfer really works nice for quick back-ups and restores. It places everything where you left it.

Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

But if you're somehow in a rush, any CD will do. Although as it was mentioned, they aren't very big...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Buy a flash drive and love it forever or buy your cds/dvds both at newegg.com

Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,525 times
When you upgrade, your data isn't lost. Even in a full install initiated by disc, Windows creates a "windows.old" folder and stuffs your stuff into it.

That said, I always err on the side of caution so I would get the thumb drive (they're so very cheap) and be done with it.

Easiest way to back up is to go to your Users folder (documents and settings in XP) and copy the visible folders inside your profile (don't copy the whole folder, because the appdata folder is GINORMOUS and it'll take a billion years to move)

Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If you had the flash drive handy Windows Easy Transfer really works nice for quick back-ups and restores. It places everything where you left it.

Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

But if you're somehow in a rush, any CD will do. Although as it was mentioned, they aren't very big...
This using a flash drive. And don't upgrade from Vista to 7. Do a complete reinstall of 7 and format the partition during install.

We did an upgrade on Mrs. Teks laptop and it sucks. I'm going to do a full install when I get the go ahead from her.

And...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media (broken link)

Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This using a flash drive. And don't upgrade from Vista to 7. Do a complete reinstall of 7 and format the partition during install.

We did an upgrade on Mrs. Teks laptop and it sucks. I'm going to do a full install when I get the go ahead from her.

And...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media (broken link)
You're a wise man, Mr. Tek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers