Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Or better yet, here are some good books for someone who wants to avoid having to deal with those pesky IT geeks:

PCs For Dummies

And for our Mac lovers:

Mac for Dummies

Heck, I'll even throw in this book for the adventurous:

Linux For Dummies
An individual would need a lot more than these books to take on the vast amount of technical knowledge and experience a good IT user has attained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,265,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The methods in which you phrased questions 1-3 would not be easy to understand. Research methods would likely yield that 99.9% of users know what you mean by "screen" but only a smaller portion know what you mean by "monitor". So obviously you would take this into consideration when phrasing the instruction.
I didn't want to spend three hours composing a reply, even an esteemed expert in computers such as yourself should realize that.....

After spending 42 years in Field Engineering and technical support I find your attitude very very know-it-all and snobbish... (and I was very very successful a it - accomplished that with nothing more than a GED)... I worked with college types with their degrees, certificates and all and lemme tell you, lack common sense and logic is NOT taught in college.....

Lets get back to the OP instead of computer snobs and college kiddies.....

Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,265,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm not sure I understand why this thread is going they way it is. This morning an employee came and looked in my office door and said, "It kicked me out. Can you help?" So, I answered as eloquently as I could, "Huh? 'Kicked out' does not describe a technical problem." I did not word any question poorly. I had nothing to phrase. That's the way it came to me.
Some people here are trying to impress us with their customer empathy and IT are schmucks attitudes......

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM

65 posts, read 73,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
After spending 42 years in Field Engineering and technical support I find your attitude very very know-it-all and snobbish... (and I was very very successful a it - accomplished that with nothing more than a GED)... I worked with college types with their degrees, certificates and all and lemme tell you, lack common sense and logic is NOT taught in college.....
I'd have to agree that NJBest comes off slightly snobbish. But I'd take a meaningful discussion from a snobbish individual than some of your rude posts that I've come across. I don't mean to be offensive but you come off as a grumpy old man who is on the constant attack for no good reason. Just plain rude. There's no need to insult anyone.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/28920594-post3.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inter...p-drm-out.html

Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,553,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
An individual would need a lot more than these books to take on the vast amount of technical knowledge and experience a good IT user has attained.
But having a basic knowledge of how to operate the machine would allow them to intelligently discuss their problem with IT instead of asking "what's the desktop?"

Old 04-05-2013, 02:17 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,877,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Or,

"Click, Start, then right click My Computer, click properties."

"OK, I see yahoo."

People seriously cannot follow the simplest instructions.
This made me literally laugh out loud, holy hell! This happens to me ALL THE TIME!

"I'll need to check this out, but first I need your PC name."
"Ok, how do I find that"
"Sure, just go to start, then right click computer and go to properties."
"Ok, it says taskbar, start menu, toolbars"

I've trained myself to explain each click a little further, so now I'll say "left click start, then right click computer, then left click properties" - that usually helps them not skip the "computer" part.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times
Quote:
But having a basic knowledge of how to operate the machine would allow them to intelligently discuss their problem with IT instead of asking "what's the desktop?"
I agree. I've always been a proponent of learning more about our environment and problems. But as you've probably witnessed, it's wishful thinking to expect everyone to have read such books. We can only control ourselves.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM

16,768 posts, read 15,834,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Some people here are trying to impress us with their customer empathy and IT are schmucks attitudes......
When I was doing desktop support, it was a normal day when a couple of people said to me, "I'm glad they sent you to help." I'd smile, joke with them a little, and fix what was wrong. You have to be rock solid in your technical skills, but you have to have a healthy dose of people skills to be "the one they ask for."

BTW, I never did read those "Dummies" books.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,187,201 times
A few anecdotes of my own:

1. A guy from work wants me to upgrade his PC. The next day he hands me a paper with the specs. Windows XP, 256 MB of RAM, 233 GHz Pentium. Whoaa, WHAT? 233 GHz PENTIUM? I told him that that number couldn't be right. He swears that that's what it said. I told him that even the government didn't have a CPU that fast.

2. Guy I used to work with took his PC to Geek Squad for a reinstall. Can't get iTunes to work. Blames Firefox for it.

3. A few years back, I installed Linux on my dad's computer. Last year, he called me that his computer caught a virus. He said that a popup came up that said that his C: drive was infected. I told him that he doesn't have a C: drive.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM

65 posts, read 73,895 times
Quote:
People are generally reluctant to take on even the most basic knowledge... especially when it comes to reading a book. Human nature comes into play and for many, they feel they know everything or it's not worth their time. Just take a look at how plwhit threw a fit when someone suggested a book that discusses communication issues with technical and non-technical people.

It would be nice if people made the effort to learn. But as we've seen, that's just not how it is, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers