Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times

Advertisements

I have been using a Dell Lattitude Laptop (C610) via phone line. Now I can no longer get to aol. It cannot detect the modem, and is telling me to turn it on? Is there a switch that got turned off? If so where? Or is it internal. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I have been using a Dell Lattitude Laptop (C610) via phone line. Now I can no longer get to aol. It cannot detect the modem, and is telling me to turn it on? Is there a switch that got turned off? If so where? Or is it internal. Please help!
That model has a built in (internal) V.90 modem. Best bet is to first check your device list to see if the Modem is having any issues.

When AOL starts up, click the options tab and look to see if it can find it again.

If that doesn't work, go to <device manager> (rightclick properties on <my computer>--> click <hardware tab>--><device manager>) within XP and see if the device isn't yellowed out or having issues.

Also, you can go to <My Network places>--><properties> to see your connection that AOL created when it was installed. Check the settings on that (compare with AOL's help site to make sure everything is looking good).

AOL has lots of issues, I worked on many machines in my early years with them and they are a real pain. Best bet is to go to AOL's help site and see if you can't find anything that is in reference to your problem. They most likely have a check list for the issue you are having to help you find the problem.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 129,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Sometimes when you run Microsoft Update, Microsoft will "upgrade" drivers for certain hardware on your machine. I couple of months ago I ran an Update that replaced the driver for my video card, which messed up my system until I rolled it back. Check the manufacturer's website for any executable files that could be run for your device, make sure you have the proper drivers installed. It could also be possible that the modem just went kaput and it's time for a new one.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
There was a virus at work, but all is ok now. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers