Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,788,610 times

Advertisements

The Recovery Disc could be damaged. Without knowing exactly what happens when he tries to use the Recovery Disc we can't offer much help. Do you know exactly what happens when he tries to use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM

16,743 posts, read 15,757,959 times
You may just need to set the DVD to IDE Compatibility mode in CMOS (System Setup).

Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,384,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You may just need to set the DVD to IDE Compatibility mode in CMOS (System Setup).
Done ... Didnt work!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,788,610 times
You really need to tell us EXACTLY what happens when you try. Start from the beginning.
-Disc in drive
-Turn on
-and????????????

Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,886,610 times
I'll sell you a working laptop that's 6 years old that originally came with Vista, but now has Windows 7, for $50 plus shipping. It would be better than paying $50 for a non-working one.

Edit: I'm not really selling it. I'm just pointing out that it's not worth it for the non-functioning one.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,384,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You really need to tell us EXACTLY what happens when you try. Start from the beginning.
-Disc in drive
-Turn on
-and????????????
Remember this is a Friend of my sons! This is what HE said happened & what he did!

He some how downloaded a ToolBar It kept poping up & he couldnt get it Off. So he install the Disc 1 to take it back to factory. Once EVERYthing was removed & prompted him to hit the Re-install button it Stopped Dead Said something about it cant be done!

Anyway he called my son & next day brought it over here for Kevin to try. Kevin started the disc at the beginning & did the same to him.... This is a 2 disc back to factory & re-boot process but seems to stop After the 1st step.

I told him to take it to local computer shop have them test the DVD drive & HD see if they quit/locked up. He did BUT he never told them what happened to begin with My son called & the shop owner whom hes known for Decades! Told him could be either or both ALL they/he knew there was no OS on it & for $80 he could Try to re-boot it MIGHT work. See at that time the friend had picked up the laptop so the computer tech didnt have it to check the parts for Kevin [my son]

Kevin is A+ certified BUT no Clue when it comes to much about software. He can change the parts ... I would have to buy them of course LOL

Shop owner offered the friend $30 for the laptop for parts Friend said he sell it to me for $50 as is. His idea is I buy it my son fix & we have a laptop. The Other thing is I have MY HP Laptop for sale He really wants it... so the money will come off the price of my working laptop & when he gets a job he will finish paying me for my laptop. Dont get me wrong this guy is really nice! When my son got hit by a car & couldnt work his old desktop died this friend walked across town 4 miles & gave my son his 11 month old desktop!! Maybe he thinks we own him cause of it I dont know.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,504,131 times
As previously stated, a laptop in that condition isn't worth $50. The condition is unknown and it could take a significant amount of money to make it work again.

If your son wants to turn this into a leaning project, that's a good idea. An A+ certified tech should certainly be able to troubleshoot a situation like that and reload Windows if the hardware is working. I wouldn't buy the machine in its current state. Take it, see if he can fix it, then return it to the friend working or not. If the fix merely software, then you can consider buying it once its working.

Or just take the $30 from the shop and be done with it. They'll have more use for it as spare parts than you will.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM

16,743 posts, read 15,757,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Remember this is a Friend of my sons! This is what HE said happened & what he did!

He some how downloaded a ToolBar It kept poping up & he couldnt get it Off. So he install the Disc 1 to take it back to factory. Once EVERYthing was removed & prompted him to hit the Re-install button it Stopped Dead Said something about it cant be done! .....
For future reference, that was the mistake. A Toolbar is not something that requires a factory restore to fix.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,755,688 times
I can't believe you are even considering buying it!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,504,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
For future reference, that was the mistake. A Toolbar is not something that requires a factory restore to fix.
Molehills into MOUNTAINS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers