Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 08:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,838,976 times

Advertisements

I am clueless about computers and my last laptop I had Best Buy do the set up and if I recall it cost 100 to do. I am going to be purchasing a new laptop and am just going to need the internet and virus protection. Would I be able to do this on my own easily?

My other question is yesterday on my asus laptop I spilled coffee on the keyboard. It was not that much so wiped it off and closed it. Then it was not working yesterday and I have what looks like a water spot on the screen. Right now it is working but the water spot is on the screen still. I called Best Buy about fixing it but they said they don't and to call Asus which I did and they said to send it in and they will give me a quote of price since it is over a year old and not in warranty. Is this my best option or are there local places that do this for better rate and quicker? Is this fixable or the price is going to be so high?
Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 02:20 PM

15,442 posts, read 25,870,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am clueless about computers and my last laptop I had Best Buy do the set up and if I recall it cost 100 to do. I am going to be purchasing a new laptop and am just going to need the internet and virus protection. Would I be able to do this on my own easily?
The internet access is easy, but it would depend on if you mean "wired" (ethernet cable plugged in to laptop) or if you mean wireless. Both are easy, but wireless is slightly more complicated. Antivirus is easy too. Select the free one you want (MS Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, etc...) and download and install. Follow the install program until it's done. It may want to scan your system, and some may require a restart. Do those if they ask. Done!

Quote:
My other question is yesterday on my asus laptop I spilled coffee on the keyboard. It was not that much so wiped it off and closed it. Then it was not working yesterday and I have what looks like a water spot on the screen. Right now it is working but the water spot is on the screen still. I called Best Buy about fixing it but they said they don't and to call Asus which I did and they said to send it in and they will give me a quote of price since it is over a year old and not in warranty. Is this my best option or are there local places that do this for better rate and quicker? Is this fixable or the price is going to be so high?
Thank you for your help
If they have to replace the screen it will be pretty expensive. However, if it is just on the glass then you can clean it, but if it's inside...well... You shouldn't have closed it. Better to leave it open to air out and just shut it down (power off).

Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,767,844 times
It amazes me how many people pay Best Buy to "set up" the computer. THis is a total scam. DO NOT pay them to do this. It's ridiculous.
Buy computer, take it home, turn it on. It walks you through everything. Don't pay Best Buy one nickel just so they can press YES, OK, YES, EASTERN TIME, DONE.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
Keep in mind that if you run into a problem during set up we are always here (well almost always) and will help you get through it. No charge, just a required thank you.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Keep in mind that if you run into a problem during set up we are always here (well almost always) and will help you get through it. No charge, just a required thank you.
^^^^^ That; plus you won't be pressured to buy a service you don't need or want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers