Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM

20,334 posts, read 37,388,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would add:
How quiet is it? Mine sits next to my dead quiet iMac in my quiet home office. Lac of noise is a big deal for me.
Does it look OK? I am willing to pay more for a prettier one.

I prefer drives from G-Technology for their quiet operation.
I have several Macs that are very quiet, and have purchased several WD "MyBook" or whatever these are called with our having any noise issues. In relation to being pretty or not I have no idea, but their enclosures are small enough, and come on black, silver, and other colors. The only thing I don't lie about these drives is the included (built-in) software. As soon as I connect it to the computer, I run "Disk Utility" to reformat it for the highest efficiency, but they are much "plug and play" out of the box, for both the PC and Mac.

Like others said, it's hard to tell which one is better than another. However, through the years I haven't had any external hard drive failures, maybe because I only use the drives (plug to the computer and turn ON) as needed. The soonest I am done with the external drives, I disconnect them and turn them off.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,178,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Doesn't protect your data, only that if it quits working, they will repair/replace, but not your data.
Yes, but I'm not stupid enough to not have multiple backup media and tested restoral procedures, even at home. Everything on my external drive is also on my Linkstation and its USB backup drive, on two laptops, and on DVD if it's actually important.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,178,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I gave you the answer, no brand is any more reliable than the other, you just seem to think no one here knows what they're talking about, I know the type, have to deal with them all the time.
And as I tried to point out in my message, reliability is not the only product differentiator.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,869,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What brand has the best external hard drives? One that is reliable, won't get damaged, good quality, etc. Size-wise, that isn't a concern just yet. Brands are the focus right now. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They're all pretty much the same. How do you expect a hard drive not to get damaged? That's up to the user and any drive can get damaged. Just buy whatever's on sale at Newegg or Amazon.
Newegg.com - ioSafe Solo 2TB USB 2.0 Fireproof and Waterproof External Hard Drive + 1 Year Data Recovery Service SL2000GBUSB20

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,551,578 times
I wonder if the drive inside can be replaced when it goes belly up.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,869,697 times
If mine goes belly up I'll find out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers