Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a way to replicate the “fit more music on data CD” functionality that has been removed from WMP12? On previous versions of WMP (WMP11) you could burn MP3s to data CDs and adjust the bit rate lower to make the files smaller and thus fit more songs on a CD. WMP12 does not have this functionality.
There are all sorts of file converters out there that can change bit rates. There are all sorts of disk burning tools out there. There are all sorts of media players out there. But, I can’t find a program that performs all three functions as WMP11 did. (iTunes, WinAmp, Realplayer, Switch, etc) I even found a “WMP11 for Windows 7” program out there but I am having problems with it (for some reason I get “Burn Complete” without any burning taking place and I’ve tried this with both my CD burner and an image burner.) I’m almost at the point of getting a hold of an old PC and installing XP on it so I can use WMP11 just for this purpose. (I also tried Windows Virtual PC which lets me create an Windows XP OS within my Win 7 OS. Under XP I can execute WMP11 but for some reason I have a problem with it seeing my DVD/CD burner as a burner.....it just sees a CD player....bummer.)

Thank You in advance.

Missing WMP12 data CD options - Microsoft Answers

In Windows 7 Media Player, the option "Fit more music on the disc - Microsoft Answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM

441 posts, read 887,220 times
Mediamonkey?

Why not make a temporary batch of the files with reduced bitrates before burning? Bit more work lol.

Or you could install XP and WMP 11 on a virtual machine and use that?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
Or you could install XP and WMP 11 on a virtual machine and use that?
Is this the same as what I wrote about in the original post? If not, how would I go about doing it? And, might it give me the same problem WVPC did?

And yes, using a bit rate converter to create a separate set of files is a lot more work. WMP11 did everything all at once. Why the heck did they drop this great functionality?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 AM

119 posts, read 226,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anyone know of a way to replicate the “fit more music on data CD” functionality that has been removed from WMP12? On previous versions of WMP (WMP11) you could burn MP3s to data CDs and adjust the bit rate lower to make the files smaller and thus fit more songs on a CD. WMP12 does not have this functionality.
There are all sorts of file converters out there that can change bit rates. There are all sorts of disk burning tools out there. There are all sorts of media players out there. But, I can’t find a program that performs all three functions as WMP11 did. (iTunes, WinAmp, Realplayer, Switch, etc) I even found a “WMP11 for Windows 7” program out there but I am having problems with it (for some reason I get “Burn Complete” without any burning taking place and I’ve tried this with both my CD burner and an image burner.) I’m almost at the point of getting a hold of an old PC and installing XP on it so I can use WMP11 just for this purpose. (I also tried Windows Virtual PC which lets me create an Windows XP OS within my Win 7 OS. Under XP I can execute WMP11 but for some reason I have a problem with it seeing my DVD/CD burner as a burner.....it just sees a CD player....bummer.)

Thank You in advance.

Missing WMP12 data CD options - Microsoft Answers

In Windows 7 Media Player, the option "Fit more music on the disc - Microsoft Answers
Burn 2 disks, save the quality, spend an extra buck, save 12 hours of Google work. Fun fact if you spend even 1 hour to save a couple dollars you're working for less than minimum wage.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
Burn 2 disks, save the quality, spend an extra buck, save 12 hours of Google work. Fun fact if you spend even 1 hour to save a couple dollars you're working for less than minimum wage.
Agree. When I rip CD's I will not compromise on the quality. 320b every time. WHy anyone rips at anything less I will just never understand.
Rip a track at 192 then re rip at 320. Play tracks. Notice huge difference?
I do.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree. When I rip CD's I will not compromise on the quality. 320b every time. WHy anyone rips at anything less I will just never understand.
Rip a track at 192 then re rip at 320. Play tracks. Notice huge difference?
I do.

These CDs are for my truck with it's moderate quality CD/MP3 player. Not sure if I'd notice the difference but I will try and perhaps just do what's been suggested.

But, I may consider the idea anyway...it's just more convenient to have it on one CD that is always in the player rather than fumbling for another CD. I really don't have a nice place to store CDs either.

But in the mean time, is there a solution to what my original post asks?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
Quote:
These CDs are for my truck with it's moderate quality CD/MP3 player. Not sure if I'd notice the difference but I will try and perhaps just do what's been suggested.

But, I may consider the idea anyway...it's just more convenient to have it on one CD that is always in the player rather than fumbling for another CD. I really don't have a nice place to store CDs either.

I am another that would not want to downgrade the audio quality. I can generally get a bit over 5 hours of 320kbps music on a CD.

Why not buy a $10 CD case that holds 10 discs?

Or get an adapter that lets you play an iPod or MP3 player through your car stereo? Then you can have no less than 16 Gb of capacity.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
Quote:
That question was answered.

MediaMonkey » Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter
TOOLS > CONVERT AUDIO FORMAT

Quote:
These CDs are for my truck with it's moderate quality CD/MP3 player. Not sure if I'd notice the difference but I will try and perhaps just do what's been suggested
Still do this. You WILL notice a difference even on the ****iest piece of audio equipment ever made...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers