Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 02:09 PM

240 posts, read 268,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am trying to transfer files from my laptop computer to a newer desktop. The laptop is Vista, and the newer one is Windows 7. When I tried to use a cable to do this, I got a message on the Laptop that the transfer couldn't occur until Windows Vista service pack 1 was installed.
I went to install it but it kept failing. Does anyone know of any fix for this?
I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,468,264 times
Get a USB hard drive and use it to copy your files to the new computer. Once you're all settled in the new computer, use the drive to regularly backup your new computer. If you plan on keeping the old laptop, its probably best to reformat and fully update it rather than screwing around trying to figure out why SP1 won't install.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,
I am trying to transfer files from my laptop computer to a newer desktop. The laptop is Vista, and the newer one is Windows 7. When I tried to use a cable to do this, I got a message on the Laptop that the transfer couldn't occur until Windows Vista service pack 1 was installed.
No we don't, unless you provide the exact error message.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Karnak says, "We who help those in need can't unless we know what the Hell is wrong."

Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 AM

16,701 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,
Often, when a Windows update fails to install, the error message will include a link to a Microsoft Knowledgebase article. Following that link might provide clues to use in solving the problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 AM

534 posts, read 2,409,588 times
All of the above is true. And its simply a hellofa lot easier to copy your stuff to a (even borrowed) usb drive for this transfer. Simple networking would solve it too but that does take a little knowhow to get working.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
All of the above is true. And its simply a hellofa lot easier to copy your stuff to a (even borrowed) usb drive for this transfer.
That may be true, but rule number 1 with USB drives, never stick one in your computer if you don't know where it's been, good way to get a malware infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers