Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How should you know better than anyone else that is familiar with these cases?
It's common sense that hot air is going to be coming out of the case, short of the interior components being clogged with dust I've never run into any cooling problems with them RD, DDR, or otherwise, the stock setup works just fine when kept clean, I see no need for an exterior fan.
I have two such cases so I do know as I was commenting about my experiences - can't you read?

Some people could get this case confused with the other black cases Dell came out with at the time which has the sliding side cover. The OP's is the clam shelled case one - yes I know that you know that.

I never said that the OP's computer doesn't cool right either.
But that the front doesn't have the best air intake I said "not as good" if I recall.

I did say that because the OP's mobo runs RDRAM that it's hotter and that the air inside the case will be hotter therefore the air coming out will be hotter as I had an 8200 as well.

Now it's up to the OP what to do whether or not to accept the computer for what it is.

As long as the interior is clear of dust bunnies all should be fine as far as the computer functioning correctly is concerned barring any hardware problem(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
I have worked on this model computer before too. As for familiarity with the clam shell case, my employer went through approx. 400 computers in the Optiplex GX-240/260/270/280 line of computers. I had most of those machines open at some point in time. Air definitely enters the case at the front, below the power button and above the USB connectors. The air intake size is smaller than some cases, but it is adequate to cool the machine as long as it isn't blocked. I found the machines worked a little better if they were on a desk instead of the floor, as the air intakes were less likely to accumulate dust.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
At this moment in time (knock on wood) since I changed out my internal CPU fan, everything has been normal. To put everything into perspective, I did purchase this computer back in the day around 2002 when at the time, it was top of the line lol. So 8 years later, aside from a video card change, I never had a problem with the computer except for the CPU fan finally crapping out recently which I would think is pretty darn good.

I do intend to purchase a new desktop, most likely those smaller ones that don't take up much space. But until then, I'll continue using this old desktop until it finally dies... I have most of my important files backed up on an external hard drive so I think I should be OK.

Regarding the external fan, I just thought that I may help with the air flow or ventilation when the computer is on. Yes, I know the air flow in the front of the tower is limited but would placing an external fan where the "face plate" covering the front USB ports are be adequate? Would it be any use to have the external fan directing the hot air spewing out from the rear blowing it away somehow?

As of now, my computer isn't overheating nor have I experienced any hardware failures to date. Despite the seemingly non-efficient layout of this desktop tower directing air flow in and out, I guess everything is cooled fine with the computer's internal fans since I haven't had a problem until now... 8 years later. Since the fan's are proprietary with a temperature sensor, I was just wondering if an external fan could help further cool the PC down so the internal fans don't have to work as hard. However, after reading these responses, I guess the answer is no.

Appreciate the replies though but am wondering if there's any more suggestions of what to do with this standalone external fan to help with this desktop.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
It doesn't sound to me like the desktop needs any help.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Although I don't like those clamshell cases, I think Dell did a reasonable job with the cooling. Those ran Pentium 4 processors, which ran very hot. 8 years of solid service is evidence of the good design.

Couple of thoughts on this topic:

1. If ventilation is improved, the amount of heat generated is unchanged. The room will warm up the same amount. Improved ventilation may make the interior of the case cooler, but it doesn't change the amount of heat (in watts) generated by the computer.

2. I fail to see how an external fan will help anything.

3. Really good case designs, like many from Antec, provide filtered (and washable filters) air flow into the case and large, slower running exhaust fans. Many homebuilt gaming PCs are poorly designed. They may have five fans all stirring the hot air around, but not properly exhausting it.

4. Install the freeware Speedfan to monitor the temperature of your cpu, case, and hard drives, depending on the availability of temperature data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers