Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM

212 posts, read 539,579 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post how absolutely amazed I am at the number of people who appear to really like or actually love this city. Are you all Columbus born and raised and just have inherent pride in your town, or are there transplants here that honestly love this place that they moved to?

I am 29 and have lived here since age 20 when I transferred to OSU, summer '99. I graduated, went to Europe for a couple years, and returned to Cbus to work. I grew up in Northern Virginia, outside of DC, from age 1-17.

I am interviewing for an internal position in my company that will relocate me to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I have been talking to the Albuquerque folks on their forum, but started reading this Cbus forum, since I actually live here. I used to lived on the east side, but I currently own a house and live in Grandview/ West Campus area.

I think people are difficult and uptight here. Granted, they're not the a-holes you will find on the east coast, DC, philly, NYC etc, but I don't find people here to be that nice or interesting or really anything special at all.
The women (25+) who arent in college doing keg stands at frat parties, are difficult to talk to. Cold, unapproachable, snotty... Maybe that is just the age in general across the country... maybe it is my own personal experience.

Why do I remember 90% of the parties I ever went to in college were "sausage fests" with 40 guys and 3 girls... There are so many puking ahole dudes at parties and bars in Columbus/OSU, no wonder women are hard to approach. I can't count how many fights I saw break out in the Arena District in my mid 20's. I think it must be atleast like 60/40 guys to gals in this city.

I've been to Atlanta, few cities in Florida, and spent some time on the Central Coast of California, Cal Poly SLO. All of those places had people that made eye contact and smiled. People who sound genuine when they say "nice to meet you." I don't think you find any of that in Central Ohio.

I'm a buckeye grad, so I watch the bucks every saturday in the fall, but I don't obsess over it. I'm not ditching the bandwagon so to speak. I was a graduating senior when we won the natty in '02. But Ohio State football is so disrepected on the national level that it is hard to stomach.... maybe that's just the last 3 seasons and heartbraking bowl games, but something aint right in the big 10, and Tressel needs to change...

The weather is horrible. Today's icey Level 2 emergency anyone? The winter is bitter cold and lots of humidity. So when it's a humid cold and not a dry cold, you feel it more. Just like in the summer when it's a humid heat and not a dry heat... walking out to your car in the parking lot after work at 6 in the aftenoon in July, you know inside that car it's going to be a hot swampy mess. I know the south is much worse regarding heat, and the north is much worse regarding cold, but it seems Ohio has just enough of both heat in the summer and cold in the winter to really, really suck. I think I've seen the sun and temp crested above freezing 1 day in the past 15-20 days. In the summer you get the gray skied- humid haze... Air quality alerts? We get alot of those in the summer where your annoying local weathermen will tell you "It's unsafe for the elderly and those with breathing problems, so stay inside next to your A/C"

Anyway, I'm done venting. Ohio seems to have a cumulative toxic effect on me. I'm sure alot of you cbus lovers will reply with points of your own, and I would like to hear them. Like I said I'm trying to relocate to the arid southwest and get a significant change of scenery.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,912,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2abq View Post
I wanted to post how absolutely amazed I am at the number of people who appear to really like or actually love this city. Are you all Columbus born and raised and just have inherent pride in your town, or are there transplants here that honestly love this place that they moved to?

I am 29 and have lived here since age 20 when I transferred to OSU, summer '99. I graduated, went to Europe for a couple years, and returned to Cbus to work. I grew up in Northern Virginia, outside of DC, from age 1-17.

I am interviewing for an internal position in my company that will relocate me to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I have been talking to the Albuquerque folks on their forum, but started reading this Cbus forum, since I actually live here. I used to lived on the east side, but I currently own a house and live in Grandview/ West Campus area.

I think people are difficult and uptight here. Granted, they're not the a-holes you will find on the east coast, DC, philly, NYC etc, but I don't find people here to be that nice or interesting or really anything special at all.
The women (25+) who arent in college doing keg stands at frat parties, are difficult to talk to. Cold, unapproachable, snotty... Maybe that is just the age in general across the country... maybe it is my own personal experience.

Why do I remember 90% of the parties I ever went to in college were "sausage fests" with 40 guys and 3 girls... There are so many puking ahole dudes at parties and bars in Columbus/OSU, no wonder women are hard to approach. I can't count how many fights I saw break out in the Arena District in my mid 20's. I think it must be atleast like 60/40 guys to gals in this city.

I've been to Atlanta, few cities in Florida, and spent some time on the Central Coast of California, Cal Poly SLO. All of those places had people that made eye contact and smiled. People who sound genuine when they say "nice to meet you." I don't think you find any of that in Central Ohio.

I'm a buckeye grad, so I watch the bucks every saturday in the fall, but I don't obsess over it. I'm not ditching the bandwagon so to speak. I was a graduating senior when we won the natty in '02. But Ohio State football is so disrepected on the national level that it is hard to stomach.... maybe that's just the last 3 seasons and heartbraking bowl games, but something aint right in the big 10, and Tressel needs to change...

The weather is horrible. Today's icey Level 2 emergency anyone? The winter is bitter cold and lots of humidity. So when it's a humid cold and not a dry cold, you feel it more. Just like in the summer when it's a humid heat and not a dry heat... walking out to your car in the parking lot after work at 6 in the aftenoon in July, you know inside that car it's going to be a hot swampy mess. I know the south is much worse regarding heat, and the north is much worse regarding cold, but it seems Ohio has just enough of both heat in the summer and cold in the winter to really, really suck. I think I've seen the sun and temp crested above freezing 1 day in the past 15-20 days. In the summer you get the gray skied- humid haze... Air quality alerts? We get alot of those in the summer where your annoying local weathermen will tell you "It's unsafe for the elderly and those with breathing problems, so stay inside next to your A/C"

Anyway, I'm done venting. Ohio seems to have a cumulative toxic effect on me. I'm sure alot of you cbus lovers will reply with points of your own, and I would like to hear them. Like I said I'm trying to relocate to the arid southwest and get a significant change of scenery.
LOL people in ATL make eye contact? I was lucky to find out which MARTA station I had to get to correctly. And Miami, don't even get me started. Went to a festival there, people were getting stabbed! I didn't know at the time, until I got back to my hotel and heard on the local news four people had been stabbed! To think the hotel clerk told us to actually go there. I have found people all over Ohio to be much more friendly than anywhere in Florida, besides Gainesville that is. Drivers in Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, and West Palm have to be by far some of the rudest I have ever encountered.

BTW, there is ice all over the country right now, from Dallas to Maine, its not just an Ohio thing. Heat in New Mexico, good luck with that, 120 degrees in Santa Fe when I was there in June. I had enough of that. I am not going to downgrade New Mexico, but it is a very unattractive state as far as its cities go. ALBQ had trash all along the freeways, and had no touch of green. I was so glad to fly back into Cleveland and see green again.

I am not going to bash your opinion, that is what this site is for, but Columbus is a very progressive city, that is growing faster than most cities, has a very nice metro population growth, not too slow and not too fast, it has some great new developments that have started and some even bigger ones that will get underway in the spring. It has a diverse economy, and an unemployment rate far below the national average.

Just remember, no place is perfect. Having traveled a lot, I have to say, Columbus is by far one far of the most attractive cities I have been to, minus the bigger cities like Chicago, New York and Seattle.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 PM

touche' LOL... Um yeah ATL= referring to southern hospitality, maybe you were in rougher part of town?
Sante Fe and ABQ do not have the same weather I have read. ABQ is cooler in the summer, but here's Santa Fe's averages:
Santa Fe, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see a single record high above 99 degrees, so where's your 120 coming from ? Cbus 100+ degree days are far more common, and HUMID.

ABQ is cooler than Sante Fe:
Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what "being progressive" or a few % lower unemployment rate really equates to in my day to day enjoyment of a place. I will have a job where I move etc, but I can see why so many small town ohio people move to the "big city" Columbus to find work.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
touche' LOL... Um yeah ATL= referring to southern hospitality, maybe you were in rougher part of town?
Sante Fe and ABQ do not have the same weather I have read. ABQ is cooler in the summer, but here's Santa Fe's averages:
Santa Fe, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see a single record high above 99 degrees, so where's your 120 coming from ? Cbus 100+ degree days are far more common, and HUMID.

ABQ is cooler than Sante Fe:
Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what "being progressive" or a few % lower unemployment rate really equates to in my day to day enjoyment of a place. I will have a job where I move etc, but I can see why so many small town ohio people move to the "big city" Columbus to find work.

I must have been on drugs that day in Santa Fe . I have pictures of a local bank with the temp, 117 sorry I rounded up. Don't see temps like that in Ohio.

Columbus is progressive. A national unemployment rate of 7.2% compared to Columbus's 5.8% is pretty good. A "few" % points is a huge differance.

ATL southern hosptality? LOL maybe in Cartersville, but thats about as close as it gets. Trust me, I tried to avoid the rough parts of town, LOL I am talking about a MARTA station down by the capital building.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 PM

New Mexico has even lower unemployment:
New Mexico’s unemployment rate rose in October, but it’s still lower than the national rate.
Unemployment stood at 4.4 percent in October, the latest data available, up from 3.3 percent a year ago, according the Department of Workforce Solutions. The national unemployment rate was 6.5 percent.

Unemployment up but still less than national rate - New Mexico Business Weekly:

New Mexico 4.4%, Cbus 5.8%... Yea that is pretty huge...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM

150 posts, read 981,573 times
First, congrats on the job offer. Albuquerque is an interesting city, and Santa Fe is great. Hopefully your home in Grandview will sell quickly.

I'm not a native, but I understand the points you're making. However, I think a lot of it has to do with the people/places you hang out. We're close in age, and sometimes it feels like we're at an in-between stage. No children, but not looking to go party every night either. I think you can find a nice balance here, but you can't find it with the college crowd.

I think the number of fights depends on where you go in the Arena District. Brothers and Gaswerks don't seem to attract the more mature crowd. The meet market isn't my scene, but I have never witnessed fights anywhere but Brothers (truthfully, I haven't been there for a long time, with the exception being a quick bachelorette party stop).

I felt like there were more girls, but in actuality it's probably a pretty even split. Then again, I am happily married (to a man), so again, it's not a big concern for me.

I am proud of my OSU education, and I like watching the games, but like you, I am not a fanatic. It's just a game. In general, being an Ohio sports fan can be pretty painful.

This winter has been pretty bad. I am ticked that my street hasn't been plowed. However, the whole country is experiencing pretty nasty weather conditions right now, so I am just happy my power is still on.

I hate everything about Atlanta, so if no one was friendly to me it could have been my attitude turning people off. I try not to go to Florida, so since I haven't been there in years, I can't comment. California people seem to be nice if you go north or south of LA. Might be all the pot they smoke
I think midwest people are super friendly. Maybe not as much around the campus area, but overall, people are friendly and chatty.

It sounds like you have outgrown the area and are ready for a change, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think Columbus is Utopia, but it has nice amenities for both young professionals and families, and I am content here for now.

I really like it because it's a great starter city to get ahead (low cost of living and good career opportunities - for us anyway), but we're not going to stay indefinitely.

***Are you sure you really live in Ohio? 100+ degrees is not common here!***

Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
New Mexico has even lower unemployment:
New Mexico’s unemployment rate rose in October, but it’s still lower than the national rate.
Unemployment stood at 4.4 percent in October, the latest data available, up from 3.3 percent a year ago, according the Department of Workforce Solutions. The national unemployment rate was 6.5 percent.

Unemployment up but still less than national rate - New Mexico Business Weekly:

New Mexico 4.4%, Cbus 5.8%... Yea that is pretty huge...
Its called, Columbus has a diverse economy, ALQ is home to how many fortune 500 companies?

When you have a diverse economy i.e Columbus, you are more likely to see cutbacks, but it also is somewhat recession proof.

Its called a recession.

national unemployment rate = 7.2%
Unemployment rate soars in all states in December - Jan. 27, 2009

Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Also, you are comparing a state to a city. Columbus still has a more diverse economy than New Mexico as a whole, and produces a much larger purchasing power and GDP than New Mexico. A state vs a city here, still crazy. Not to mention New Mexico's income is in the lower half, I think in the 40s position out of the 50 states.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
First, congrats on the job offer. Albuquerque is an interesting city, and Santa Fe is great. Hopefully your home in Grandview will sell quickly.

I'm not a native, but I understand the points you're making. However, I think a lot of it has to do with the people/places you hang out. We're close in age, and sometimes it feels like we're at an in-between stage. No children, but not looking to go party every night either. I think you can find a nice balance here, but you can't find it with the college crowd.

I think the number of fights depends on where you go in the Arena District. Brothers and Gaswerks don't seem to attract the more mature crowd. The meet market isn't my scene, but I have never witnessed fights anywhere but Brothers (truthfully, I haven't been there for a long time, with the exception being a quick bachelorette party stop).

I felt like there were more girls, but in actuality it's probably a pretty even split. Then again, I am happily married (to a man), so again, it's not a big concern for me.

I am proud of my OSU education, and I like watching the games, but like you, I am not a fanatic. It's just a game. In general, being an Ohio sports fan can be pretty painful.

This winter has been pretty bad. I am ticked that my street hasn't been plowed. However, the whole country is experiencing pretty nasty weather conditions right now, so I am just happy my power is still on.

I hate everything about Atlanta, so if no one was friendly to me it could have been my attitude turning people off. I try not to go to Florida, so since I haven't been there in years, I can't comment. California people seem to be nice if you go north or south of LA. Might be all the pot they smoke
I think midwest people are super friendly. Maybe not as much around the campus area, but overall, people are friendly and chatty.

It sounds like you have outgrown the area and are ready for a change, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think Columbus is Utopia, but it has nice amenities for both young professionals and families, and I am content here for now.

I really like it because it's a great starter city to get ahead (low cost of living and good career opportunities - for us anyway), but we're not going to stay indefinitely.

***Are you sure you really live in Ohio? 100+ degrees is not common here!***

LOL like the pot smoking comment.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Its called, Columbus has a diverse economy, ALQ is home to how many fortune 500 companies?

When you have a diverse economy i.e Columbus, you are more likely to see cutbacks, but it also is somewhat recession proof.

Its called a recession.

national unemployment rate = 7.2%
Unemployment rate soars in all states in December - Jan. 27, 2009

It's Called! It's Called!!! lol chill dude, New Mexico is better, end of story.
Let's see if I actually get the salary and relocation requirements met and I actually move there first though.. I may be stuck on the Cbus forum with you if it doesnt all go through...
**Crossing my frozen fingers***

2006Buckeye- Yes "outgrown" is very nice way of putting it... And for 100 degree days, Wiki shows quite a few 103's, 106's...
Columbus, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the humidity really, not the actual temp that gets you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus