Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:54 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2abq View Post
I've only heard that term used for people in prison...

hahahaha in some ways ohio is like a prison, its very easy to get into, very hard to get out of

Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 AM

138 posts, read 808,902 times
Quote:
I wanted to post how absolutely amazed I am at the number of people who appear to really like or actually love this city. Are you all Columbus born and raised and just have inherent pride in your town, or are there transplants here that honestly love this place that they moved to?

I am 29 and have lived here since age 20 when I transferred to OSU, summer '99. I graduated, went to Europe for a couple years, and returned to Cbus to work. I grew up in Northern Virginia, outside of DC, from age 1-17.

I am interviewing for an internal position in my company that will relocate me to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I have been talking to the Albuquerque folks on their forum, but started reading this Cbus forum, since I actually live here. I used to lived on the east side, but I currently own a house and live in Grandview/ West Campus area.

I think people are difficult and uptight here. Granted, they're not the a-holes you will find on the east coast, DC, philly, NYC etc, but I don't find people here to be that nice or interesting or really anything special at all.
The women (25+) who arent in college doing keg stands at frat parties, are difficult to talk to. Cold, unapproachable, snotty... Maybe that is just the age in general across the country... maybe it is my own personal experience.

Why do I remember 90% of the parties I ever went to in college were "sausage fests" with 40 guys and 3 girls... There are so many puking ahole dudes at parties and bars in Columbus/OSU, no wonder women are hard to approach. I can't count how many fights I saw break out in the Arena District in my mid 20's. I think it must be atleast like 60/40 guys to gals in this city.

I've been to Atlanta, few cities in Florida, and spent some time on the Central Coast of California, Cal Poly SLO. All of those places had people that made eye contact and smiled. People who sound genuine when they say "nice to meet you." I don't think you find any of that in Central Ohio.

I'm a buckeye grad, so I watch the bucks every saturday in the fall, but I don't obsess over it. I'm not ditching the bandwagon so to speak. I was a graduating senior when we won the natty in '02. But Ohio State football is so disrepected on the national level that it is hard to stomach.... maybe that's just the last 3 seasons and heartbraking bowl games, but something aint right in the big 10, and Tressel needs to change...

The weather is horrible. Today's icey Level 2 emergency anyone? The winter is bitter cold and lots of humidity. So when it's a humid cold and not a dry cold, you feel it more. Just like in the summer when it's a humid heat and not a dry heat... walking out to your car in the parking lot after work at 6 in the aftenoon in July, you know inside that car it's going to be a hot swampy mess. I know the south is much worse regarding heat, and the north is much worse regarding cold, but it seems Ohio has just enough of both heat in the summer and cold in the winter to really, really suck. I think I've seen the sun and temp crested above freezing 1 day in the past 15-20 days. In the summer you get the gray skied- humid haze... Air quality alerts? We get alot of those in the summer where your annoying local weathermen will tell you "It's unsafe for the elderly and those with breathing problems, so stay inside next to your A/C"

Anyway, I'm done venting. Ohio seems to have a cumulative toxic effect on me. I'm sure alot of you cbus lovers will reply with points of your own, and I would like to hear them. Like I said I'm trying to relocate to the arid southwest and get a significant change of scenery.
Thats the Short North rather then the whole city of Columbus. And most of the OSU grads are stupid hicks from outta town.

If you went somewhere else besides the NW side you would have found out not everyone here is a upper-class white dick. Black, White or whatever everyone is cool in the city.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 AM

509 posts, read 781,537 times
i agree with the OP. congrats on getting out. the brain drain continues.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,475 times
To the original poster: Your college experience is not representative of anyone elses, and the same can be said about your experiences with women.

Your obvious fascination of warm weather is clouding your view of the city. You see, every year about the same time, a wonderful thing happens all across the country: winter.

You obviously need a warmer climate, but dont blame it on the city, as these are the sort of conditions you can expect across a large portion of the country in JANUARY.

Your post is riddled with passes at the locals (the women, aholes who puke, annoying local weatherman), and I think its just marvelous that you go to the Arena district expecting anything but drunk morons. You honestly go to bars to meet friends and women? You need to find a new source, as most people with brains will tell you that friendships and marriages arnt typically formed in bars in the arena district.

Hating on the weatheman? Please find a way to present real arguements.

Why is it that all the parties you went to were sausagefests? Well maybe the problem is with the people you hang out with, not the city. If you are only friends with guys, and those guys are only friends with other guys...maybe you are hoping women will spring up out of the ground. You are looking to use the city as a scapegoat for your poor experiences.

Finally, your lukewarm "support" of the buckeyes is downright shameful. It sounds like you can barely bring yourself to root for those horrible buckeyes, who somehow only managed to play in 3 national championship games in the last 7 years.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-20-2009 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: getting a little too personal

Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM

212 posts, read 538,844 times
R64k, I'm not making arguments, I'm giving my opinions after having lived here 10 years. For every 10 posts of "oh how great the city is, the schools, the job market" yadda yadda you might see 1 post of someone who doesn't give crap about this place.

Why's everybody at work jealous that I'm "getting out" and leaving the "lifers" behind?

Maybe my disdain for cbus should expand to include the entire midwest for that matter, but I don't know the rest of the midwest like I know this town.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: knock it off

Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM

212 posts, read 538,844 times
And check out this post from the other thread, Columbus reviewed by a New Yorker or whatever it's called...

Today, 11:31 AM
Journey002
befriend
24 posts, read 377 times

I've been reading this thread with much interest. Really debating how exactly to word my reply here. I'll try not to be too derogatory but, have to be truthful.
I lived in Columbus for 20 years, starting at 15 and left at 35. Just saying that so you know that I had plenty of time to experience nightlife and such while I lived there. Also, want to say that I started out living in the "Bottoms" (near west side) and wanted to address that, as well.
First, all those who kept saying you should live in the "central city"...are you joking??? The homes are in poor condition, the crime rate is horrible there, and yes...you will find the third, fourth, etc. generations of the West Virginian and Kentucky hill people. Just because they weren't raised in their ancestor's home states doesn't mean they act any differently. Trust me, I know this personally. If you were raised with these people, that is how you ended up. It gets passed down from generation to generation. There are gangs in the inner city and some outside of the inner city. The east side and south end very seldom go without a murder every day. If you are thinking about moving there, start reading the Columbus Dispatch every day and you'll get a feel of the "central city". Very few make it out of the inner city and actually end up doing something with their lives. Some of the suburbs can be nice, though, such as Dublin and Westerville. I'd recommend you look there if you are serious about moving there and you can afford it.
Yes, there is nightlife in and around the city. You just have to be careful what neighborhood you venture into. You quickly learn where you can be safe and where you cannot be safe, and at what times of day. There are museums and other things to see and do around the city. Does it compare to NYC or DC? Of course not...but, then again, there aren't many cities in this country that can, as far as nightlife and things to do. There are chain stores and restaurants, but, yes, definitely unique ones, as well.
Overall, my impression of Columbus is very depressing. I seldom go back, but, when I do, as soon as I take a step off of the plane, I can feel the depression just weighing down on me. A week is about all I can take and then, I have to get out of there. I'm not sure why. I have always felt this way. Even at a younger age and we would make yearly vacation trips to visit family. I thought it was an ugly city then, and I still do today. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to move back there. I would never go back if I didn't have a son who chose to move back and is currently living there. My oldest son also moved back there, but, he just moved away, too. He told me he was moving because of how depressing it is there, so, I know it just wasn't me. ; )
I hope this somehow helps.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 AM

35 posts, read 135,896 times
I moved to Cbus in 2004 and have developed many friendships here. The winter ice storms suck but I couldn't see myself right now living in an climate without 4 seasons. I actually enjoy the change in weather. (I may move south during retirement but that's many years away).

I guess I am confused as why some feel the need to bash the city. About 8 years ago, I was in Toledo for work. I constantly bashed the place in front of the locals. After that, I realized that I was an ass because this is their home. It might not be a good fit for me but it was for them. Everyone has different preferences and experiences. I'm not sure why cbus2abq is so angry at Columbus. Why come on a message board and defend your hatred to the city? Wouldn't it be easier to just document your thoughts for others then leave? As an outsider, it seems that you are angry at Columbus and are trying to keep others from coming here.

Good luck with your move. I've been to New Mexico a few times and I liked it. But, it was a little too hot for me to live there.

FWIW, I do think the Buckeye obsession is over the top. This is coming from an alumni too.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM

167 posts, read 557,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
hahahaha in some ways ohio is like a prison, its very easy to get into, very hard to get out of
If you think C-bus is hard to leave, try coming to Los Angeles/So. California and try leaving. For the average person it's impossible. Consider yourselves fortunate to live in Columbus. Nowhere is perfect but what Columbus has over so many other places is its affordability. This is something that many people who post on the forum seem to take for granted. Affordability is key to a good quality of life.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
If you think C-bus is hard to leave, try coming to Los Angeles/So. California and try leaving. For the average person it's impossible. Consider yourselves fortunate to live in Columbus. Nowhere is perfect but what Columbus has over so many other places is its affordability. This is something that many people who post on the forum seem to take for granted. Affordability is key to a good quality of life.
While I can appreciate the stark contrast in cost of living between the areas I think it is only a big factor if u live in a large city like LA or NY. And your definitely right about nowhere being perfect, it seems that if there was a perfect location it would became so popular/overcrowded it might lose the appeal it once had.

It also depends on what stage in life u r when thinking about moving. For example, if u lived in a larger city but r recently married and thinking about starting a family then columbus is perfect due to its good schools and large quantity of affordable homes of a decent size in good areas. But if u r 23 and only been out of college a year (like me) then u r more interested in moving just to experience living in different area and figuring out what is important to your lifestyle.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
new mexico is better, end of story.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus