Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 AM

183 posts, read 634,622 times

Advertisements

I'm only 26 and I've lived in Dayton, OH; Syracuse, NY; Manchester, NH; and Nashua, NH and I've had extended stays and multiple visits to NYC, Boston (obviously because I lived in Nashua), Pittsburgh, Honolulu, Toronto, Montreal, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Chicago, and many other cities.

That being said, I love Columbus. In fact that's why I came back from the Northeast in August. I love visiting other cities and each city that I've lived in and visited have all had their pros and cons, but for me Columbus is the complete package.

The only thing that I kind of miss about New England that I thought was cool is that you could pretty much be in all 6 states in the same day. My wife and I would just randomly go to Kennebunkport and Portland Maine for lunch or dinner.

For the people complaining about traffic in Columbus... you don't know traffic until you've driven in NYC and Boston. I've driven in NYC and Boston so many times that Columbus traffic doesn't even phase me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM

83 posts, read 294,613 times
I didn't invent the term "Cowtown"--Columbus' own newspaper calls it that!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM

71 posts, read 36,566 times
I've been reading this thread with much interest. Really debating how exactly to word my reply here. I'll try not to be too derogatory but, have to be truthful.
I lived in Columbus for 20 years, starting at 15 and left at 35. Just saying that so you know that I had plenty of time to experience nightlife and such while I lived there. Also, want to say that I started out living in the "Bottoms" (near west side) and wanted to address that, as well.
First, all those who kept saying you should live in the "central city"...are you joking??? The homes are in poor condition, the crime rate is horrible there, and yes...you will find the third, fourth, etc. generations of the West Virginian and Kentucky hill people. Just because they weren't raised in their ancestor's home states doesn't mean they act any differently. Trust me, I know this personally. If you were raised with these people, that is how you ended up. It gets passed down from generation to generation. There are gangs in the inner city and some outside of the inner city. The east side and south end very seldom go without a murder every day. If you are thinking about moving there, start reading the Columbus Dispatch every day and you'll get a feel of the "central city". Very few make it out of the inner city and actually end up doing something with their lives. Some of the suburbs can be nice, though, such as Dublin and Westerville. I'd recommend you look there if you are serious about moving there and you can afford it.
Yes, there is nightlife in and around the city. You just have to be careful what neighborhood you venture into. You quickly learn where you can be safe and where you cannot be safe, and at what times of day. There are museums and other things to see and do around the city. Does it compare to NYC or DC? Of course not...but, then again, there aren't many cities in this country that can, as far as nightlife and things to do. There are chain stores and restaurants, but, yes, definitely unique ones, as well.
Overall, my impression of Columbus is very depressing. I seldom go back, but, when I do, as soon as I take a step off of the plane, I can feel the depression just weighing down on me. A week is about all I can take and then, I have to get out of there. I'm not sure why. I have always felt this way. Even at a younger age and we would make yearly vacation trips to visit family. I thought it was an ugly city then, and I still do today. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to move back there. I would never go back if I didn't have a son who chose to move back and is currently living there. My oldest son also moved back there, but, he just moved away, too. He told me he was moving because of how depressing it is there, so, I know it just wasn't me. ; )
I hope this somehow helps.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,676,142 times
Quote:
I've been reading this thread with much interest. Really debating how exactly to word my reply here. I'll try not to be too derogatory but, have to be truthful.
I lived in Columbus for 20 years, starting at 15 and left at 35. Just saying that so you know that I had plenty of time to experience nightlife and such while I lived there. Also, want to say that I started out living in the "Bottoms" (near west side) and wanted to address that, as well.
First, all those who kept saying you should live in the "central city"...are you joking??? The homes are in poor condition, the crime rate is horrible there, and yes...you will find the third, fourth, etc. generations of the West Virginian and Kentucky hill people. Just because they weren't raised in their ancestor's home states doesn't mean they act any differently. Trust me, I know this personally. If you were raised with these people, that is how you ended up. It gets passed down from generation to generation. There are gangs in the inner city and some outside of the inner city. The east side and south end very seldom go without a murder every day. If you are thinking about moving there, start reading the Columbus Dispatch every day and you'll get a feel of the "central city". Very few make it out of the inner city and actually end up doing something with their lives. Some of the suburbs can be nice, though, such as Dublin and Westerville. I'd recommend you look there if you are serious about moving there and you can afford it.
Yes, there is nightlife in and around the city. You just have to be careful what neighborhood you venture into. You quickly learn where you can be safe and where you cannot be safe, and at what times of day. There are museums and other things to see and do around the city. Does it compare to NYC or DC? Of course not...but, then again, there aren't many cities in this country that can, as far as nightlife and things to do. There are chain stores and restaurants, but, yes, definitely unique ones, as well.
Overall, my impression of Columbus is very depressing. I seldom go back, but, when I do, as soon as I take a step off of the plane, I can feel the depression just weighing down on me. A week is about all I can take and then, I have to get out of there. I'm not sure why. I have always felt this way. Even at a younger age and we would make yearly vacation trips to visit family. I thought it was an ugly city then, and I still do today. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to move back there. I would never go back if I didn't have a son who chose to move back and is currently living there. My oldest son also moved back there, but, he just moved away, too. He told me he was moving because of how depressing it is there, so, I know it just wasn't me. ; )
Once again another post by someone who use to live in Columbus. Columbus just 15-10 years ago was very different than today. Columbus is a city that had growth and thus growth leads to change.

If you lived here that's great but that doesn't mean you know the state of the city today.

This poster states the central city is many depressing homes, that was true slightly (except German Village.) But mass gentrification, hipsters, etc. swept Columbus over the last 12 years. I would never have stayed in this city if it was the way it was even just in 1999.

A lot of great rejuvenation of the central city has occurred and what was one a central city full of pawn shops and down and out bars is now a place with hip bars, great restaurants, local shops, redone neighborhoods, etc..

I agree with this posters impression of Columbus before but not now.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM

71 posts, read 36,566 times
Hmm...I really did try hard not to offend anyone, but, it seems that I have. Just so you understand where I am coming from, I have visited Columbus 3 times in the last year ( I stated that I had 2 sons living there until one moved away a couple of weeks ago). I have had a chance to go back to the old neighborhoods and some other ones where my sons live, as well. The only changes that I see are on High Street coming out of downtown, and that's only for a few blocks. Go a couple of blocks north of all of that and its bad..really bad. One son lived on 8th (not sure if its avenue or street...probably doesn't matter) and it was horrible. I believe this area is called the short north? The bottoms/hilltop hasn't changed. I was on the south end for a bit...I think its worse (I'll give you German Village, but, there are certainly homes in that district that could be torn down and not missed).
I think with any big city, any residential areas directly surrounding the downtown section are going to be bad. The farther out you live, the better the homes and areas seem to be. Columbus has a large downtown area and therefore, the areas connecting to it are large areas. Everything is pretty run down and crime is rampant there.
I notice by your zip code that you don't live in any of these areas. Why is that if it has changed so much for the better?? Because they are not safe and you know it. The homes are old and have not been kept up. They are not desireable areas to live in unless you can't afford anything else.
Don't judge me because I said I "used" to live there. My kids are there. I go back, although like I hinted at before, I dread it because there haven't been enough changes in that city to make me like it yet. Maybe one day...not yet.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM

[quote]
Quote:
north of all of that and its bad..really bad. One son lived on 8th (not sure if its avenue or street...probably doesn't matter) and it was horrible. I believe this area is called the short north?
I lived on West 8th when finishing grad school and it is not bad. The neighborhoods along all of High ST. have seen massive gentrification,not just a few blocks north of downtown. And the Short North is one of the most sought after urban neighborhoods in Columbus. I really won't need to debate here.

However I will state that your view seems based on driving around and observing a building here and there or a retail strip. Actual crime stats, real estate values, viewing more than the retail strip, knowledge of neighborhood social changes, will lend a better picture of the changes in an area

Quote:
The bottoms/hilltop hasn't changed. I was on the south end for a bit...I think its worse (I'll give you German Village, but, there are certainly homes in that district that could be torn down and not missed).
I think with any big city, any residential areas directly surrounding the downtown section are going to be bad.
I really disagree, as would most. Columbus is lucky to have many great and solid neighborhoods around downtown. Some neighborhoods are mixed income, meaning a home is 300,000 dollars then there could be a secion 8 renter next door. Who is to say this is a bad thing? The Central city offers completely gentrified neigborhoods for those who seek a homogenous society and ones that differe in economical status for those who like something more tradionally urban.

And yes the Bottoms is the only area next to downtown that has not changed over the past few decades. Every other neighborhood next to downtown has seen drastic improvements for the better. The Short North (and yes if you didn't know many apartments have been condo converted all the way up to 8th.) Merion Village (south of German Village), Olde Town East (east side), Italian Village, south Clintonville, and many renovations around the east side in neighborhoods like Old Oaks and The King Lincoln District.

Columbus has some of the best well, kept inner city homes and buildings. Id o disagree.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,570,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey002 View Post
One son lived on 8th (not sure if its avenue or street...probably doesn't matter) and it was horrible. I believe this area is called the short north?
That's not the Short North, which extends only as far north as 5th street, and is really only along High Street. To the east is Italian Village, and to the west is Victorian Village. All are great areas, although parts of Italian Village still need some work.

The Short North itself is actually one of the most dynamic urban neighborhoods in the country, believe it or not.

Quote:
I think with any big city, any residential areas directly surrounding the downtown section are going to be bad. The farther out you live, the better the homes and areas seem to be.
That's just simply not the case, by any means. I currently live in DC, and most of the residential areas that are immediately adjacent to the central business district--Capitol Hill, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, the West End, Foggy Bottom--feature some of the most expensive real estate and nicest homes in the District.

With Columbus, neighborhoods like German Village and Victorian Village offer some of the nicest houses (and overal neighborhoods) that the city has to offer. Franklinton/The Bottoms is still a dump, but areas east of downtown--particularly north of East Broad--have lovely houses and quiet neighborhoods.

Methinks thou dost generalize too much.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
That's just simply not the case, by any means. I currently live in DC, and most of the residential areas that are immediately adjacent to the central business district--Capitol Hill, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, the West End, Foggy Bottom--feature some of the most expensive real estate and nicest homes in the District.

With Columbus, neighborhoods like German Village and Victorian Village offer some of the nicest houses (and overal neighborhoods) that the city has to offer. Franklinton/The Bottoms is still a dump, but areas east of downtown--particularly north of East Broad--have lovely houses and quiet neighborhoods.

Methinks thou dost generalize too much.
Thank you another sensible person who actually knows real american innercities and knows that Columbus has a gem of an innercity, yet admits there are very well areas, mixed incomes ones, and poor ones. Columbus' central city housing stock is one of the most well kept ones.

This is due, as I said in my post on the development of Columbus, to the fact that Columbus never declined, faced major race issues, or had major destruction of schools. Columbus thus had a very protected central city that had little vacant housing, in the 80s, but poor families ready to sell for sometimes as low as a dollar!

Many Victorian Village homes sold for a dollar, as the city just wanted to get them turned over to new owners. Now some of those houses are worth upwards of $400,000.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:29 PM

34 posts, read 71,001 times
ive lived in columbus all my life i cant wait to leave here the neighborhoods are really bad especially on the south end besides german village and the west side is pretty bad to

Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,851,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
ive lived in columbus all my life i cant wait to leave here the neighborhoods are really bad especially on the south end besides german village and the west side is pretty bad to
There's plenty of great neighborhoods around downtown and to the north... I wouldn't leave Columbus based purely on the neighborhoods... If I could have Victorian Village (my old 'nabe) in LA I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus