Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 12:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Not quite every state. Rural New England is generally liberal. Same with Hawaii. Washington state has some counties nowhere near Seattle that voted for Biden.

Even with the urban-rural divide, Ohio is surprisingly red given that it has three fairly major cities. If I remember correctly, Ohio and Pennsylvania have the same urban-rural composition but PA is trending much bluer.
I would still argue that rural New England is more conservative than urban New England. It's just that their version of conservatism is much less extreme than say, that of Kansas or Texas.

It has a lot to do with turnout. Ohio, like the rest of the country, is becoming less white. And pretty much no non-white demographic votes majority for Republicans. It's just that urban areas tend not to show up in as big of numbers as rural areas. There are many reasons for that, but disenfranchisement is part of it. After Obama won the state twice, Republicans made changes that hurt voter turnout in urban areas. And gerrymandering at least ensures Republican majorities in the Ohio House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 12:57 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Making stuff up is fun, I guess, but doesn't make for compelling arguments.

I noticed all that talk about density dried up pretty fast when I posted the actual data.

I haven't seen anyone deny that Columbus is densifying, and it could be that density that prevents further growth in the metro area. "270" can only take you so far, and there are only so many detached houses with yards to fulfill the implied promise of Columbus life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Fastest declining in the nation if it wasn't for Columbus? Your very own West Virginia is a whole new category of decline all by itself. If it wasn't for SE Pennsylvania, their numbers wouldn't look great. Illinois is losing people left and right. Michigan? New York? They have similar stats.

Why do people make such exaggerated claims without knowing what is happening on the ground? I have been to a lot of other states out there that are doing much worse than Ohio is, but it doesn't fit their narrative. Most of it comes from competitor states.

I plan to leave Ohio because of its politics and the fact they don't invest in their cities. Columbus is a perfect example. It is now one of the largest cities in the country that is not taking transit seriously. I have my eyes on Pennsylvania, but anymore it seems like Philadelphia might be the only option that I might enjoy as Pennsylvania is VERY red outside of it. Illinois' economy seems very tumultuous. I want a northern state that cares about its cities and has moderate politics. Ohio is failing in that regard.
Columbus was given a 50 million dollar handout in the form of the 2016 "smart city" grant.

Can anyone name any advances in public transit that have taken place there since?

No, they aren't taking transit seriously, as has become a time honored tradition.

As of today, median home prices in Columbus and Philadelphia are nearly even. We have reached the critical point where some people are starting to seriously look around and wonder what they're getting for their money.

Jobs and per capita wealth will likely continue to rise in Columbus, but I don't see population going much further, despite pie in the sky predictions. As that COL continues to climb, you really need to have those blinders on tight to not see what other cities have (at a lower price)!

Old 02-22-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I haven't seen anyone deny that Columbus is densifying, and it could be that density that prevents further growth in the metro area. "270" can only take you so far, and there are only so many detached houses with yards to fulfill the implied promise of Columbus life.

Columbus was given a 50 million dollar handout in the form of the 2016 "smart city" grant.

Can anyone name any advances in public transit that have taken place there since?

No, they aren't taking transit seriously, as has become a time honored tradition.

As of today, median home prices in Columbus and Philadelphia are nearly even. We have reached the critical point where some people are starting to seriously look around and wonder what they're getting for their money.

Jobs and per capita wealth will likely continue to rise in Columbus, but I don't see population going much further, despite pie in the sky predictions. As that COL continues to climb, you really need to have those blinders on tight to not see what other cities have (at a lower price)!
The claim wasn't that Columbus wasn't adding density, but rather that it lacked higher densities overall, with many places with low density at best. But that exact same situation is also true of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County. Columbus gets dinged constantly for this, and yet is the 2nd most dense major city in the state right now. Cincinnati/Hamilton is way less dense in the comparison I made, yet no one ever criticizes them for that. It's just curious, is all.

The Smart City grant had literally nothing to do with building a transit system or even improving something like COTA, and it wasn't awarded for that specific purpose. This is a misconception.

You all have been calling for the end of Columbus' growth for years. All during the 2010s, it was the same refrain, and it managed to have its best growth decade in history. Let's just be honest, this is more about projecting what you hope to see and nothing based on any evidence.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,473 times
I have a really good job, love my current location, and have an established network of friends. But since the state's politics aren't in line with mine, I'm moving.

LOL.

Now, I would be moving, if: I couldn't find a good job, or wanted better hiking/geography/etc., wanted to be closer to family or friends. That all makes sense, and are very common reasons for moving.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:09 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
To be fair, all states outside of cities are deep red. California had more votes for Trump than Texas.

I also don't think Ohio's legislature represents the actual electorate of the state. Regardless of how absolutely fascist and nutty they get, the electorate is still more purple than not, and Ohio's cities- and suburbs- are becoming more blue over time. The deep red places that put Republicans in charge are dying out all over the country. That's why they're working so hard to suppress the vote, undermine democracy and install religious nationalism. It's their last, desperate gasp to retain power over a changing country that doesn't really believe in what they do.
I think 2024 will be a test for whether Ohio chooses to be a solid red state, or if some voters aren't completely committed to a "party first" approach to politics. Senator Brown is up for re-election and he'll be on the same ballot with the presidential ticket, and in the last two elections the Republican nominee (i.e. Trump) carried the state by about 8%.

If the result next year is similar, in such a highly polarized environment it will be very challenging for Brown to outrun the Democratic presidential nominee by enough to win. While every cycle is different, the 2022 midterms aside from a few House seats (that may get re-gerrymandered anyway) looked very discouraging for Democrats in Ohio.

Regardless of state politics, Columbus has very good prospects for its future. Too many places in the US have either an overly high cost of living, major environmental concerns or are stagnant backwaters. None of such qualities apply to the Columbus area.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:55 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think 2024 will be a test for whether Ohio chooses to be a solid red state, or if some voters aren't completely committed to a "party first" approach to politics. Senator Brown is up for re-election and he'll be on the same ballot with the presidential ticket, and in the last two elections the Republican nominee (i.e. Trump) carried the state by about 8%.

If the result next year is similar, in such a highly polarized environment it will be very challenging for Brown to outrun the Democratic presidential nominee by enough to win. While every cycle is different, the 2022 midterms aside from a few House seats (that may get re-gerrymandered anyway) looked very discouraging for Democrats in Ohio.

Regardless of state politics, Columbus has very good prospects for its future. Too many places in the US have either an overly high cost of living, major environmental concerns or are stagnant backwaters. None of such qualities apply to the Columbus area.
Who is looking at the current landscape and thinking, "I'm voting Democrat, they're not 'party first'?"

Old 02-23-2023, 05:45 AM

194 posts, read 85,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post

The GOP has been a disaster for Ohio. Much like how it’s been a disaster here in West Virginia. As well as most of PA outside of Philly and Harrisburg.

Ohio is a place where grievance politics gain traction much like the other states and areas I described. If you don’t live in Columbus and you are in Ohio it’s hard to imagine what growth and an abundance of jobs looks like. I saw it with my own two eyes when we went out for an evening road trip from wheeling. It is unlike Ohio and the rust belt. In places like Georgia that is younger, with explosive growth and much more diverse grievance politics don’t hit home like up here.

People in our area want government out of their lives until they don’t. A good example… That mayor of East Palestine is a poor excuse for a leader. Wanting their hand held for a local issue. That’s why you have a mayor, state legislature and Governor to manage it. Once it is beyond those local capacities the governor would declare a disaster and ask for federal assistance. It was already deemed a non hazardous load with constant monitoring. Anger should be directed at the railroad company. I guarantee most people in E Palestine didn’t believe in Covid but they believe this. Whatever fits their thoughts and narrative. Truth is unpopular with these folks. Residents should be asking for that poor excuse of a mayor to resign. As he already admitted he didnt sign up for this. They won’t because he’s an R and these folks want attention and coddling till they don’t.

Anyways sorry for the rant, but i agree columbus has a bright future and it is a bright spot for ohio and the region. Columbus is growing despite the regressive politics killing the rest of the state. i wish my wheeling WV would become that on a smaller scale. Things have gotten better, but i can dream.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Who is looking at the current landscape and thinking, "I'm voting Democrat, they're not 'party first'?"
Anyone paying attention and who doesn't want a nation that ruled by a white supremacist version of Christian nationalism?

Old 02-23-2023, 06:33 AM

140 posts, read 66,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
The GOP has been a disaster for Ohio. Much like how it’s been a disaster here in West Virginia. As well as most of PA outside of Philly and Harrisburg.

Ohio is a place where grievance politics gain traction much like the other states and areas I described. If you don’t live in Columbus and you are in Ohio it’s hard to imagine what growth and an abundance of jobs looks like. I saw it with my own two eyes when we went out for an evening road trip from wheeling. It is unlike Ohio and the rust belt. In places like Georgia that is younger, with explosive growth and much more diverse grievance politics don’t hit home like up here.

People in our area want government out of their lives until they don’t. A good example… That mayor of East Palestine is a poor excuse for a leader. Wanting their hand held for a local issue. That’s why you have a mayor, state legislature and Governor to manage it. Once it is beyond those local capacities the governor would declare a disaster and ask for federal assistance. It was already deemed a non hazardous load with constant monitoring. Anger should be directed at the railroad company. I guarantee most people in E Palestine didn’t believe in Covid but they believe this. Whatever fits their thoughts and narrative. Truth is unpopular with these folks. Residents should be asking for that poor excuse of a mayor to resign. As he already admitted he didnt sign up for this. They won’t because he’s an R and these folks want attention and coddling till they don’t.

Anyways sorry for the rant, but i agree columbus has a bright future and it is a bright spot for ohio and the region. Columbus is growing despite the regressive politics killing the rest of the state. i wish my wheeling WV would become that on a smaller scale. Things have gotten better, but i can dream.
But West Virginia is on a whole new level of economic downfall. It really is a depressing state economically and many other ways. I don't know what West Virginia can do to get out of the hole that it is in at this point. Outside of Columbus - Ohio still has multiple clusters of cities and regions that offer diverse economies and standards of living that just do not exist in states like West Virginia. We are talking multiple Fortune 500 companies, diverse city neighborhoods, gentrification, world class medical research universities and establishments, etc.

The problem is as Ohio has become much more regressive and conservative, cities have to fight for what has made them great.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:38 AM

140 posts, read 66,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I have a really good job, love my current location, and have an established network of friends. But since the state's politics aren't in line with mine, I'm moving.

LOL.

Now, I would be moving, if: I couldn't find a good job, or wanted better hiking/geography/etc., wanted to be closer to family or friends. That all makes sense, and are very common reasons for moving.
If state politics impact people who are being targeted by their conservative beliefs, then yes, you should move to states that are doing a much better jobs at being inclusive. Why should people stay in a place where they are not welcome?

As Ohio is becoming more conservative, it only makes sense for more people to continue moving out. Ohio once was a state for moderation and it set up the good foundation for the growth that we are currently seeing in the more diverse economy and cities that have built thriving neighborhoods. Unfortunately, because the state is moving so far in one direction and little help is being given to educating the populace for a 21st century economy, Ohio will continue to fall behind and any foundations that were built 15-20 years ago are eroding. You see it within local government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus