Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 04:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,144,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newheregirl View Post
So I'm looking at areas East of 256 in Pickerington. The neighborhoods seem very nice. I've been told to avoid Tussing Road area? I'm just hoping the East of 256 is far enough from the issues there? I do have 2 little boys so making sure they are in safe schools is super important to me.

You've been incredibly helpful!
Anything east of 256 is just fine as is anything along Diley Rd. You shouldn't hesitate at all about Picktown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:53 PM

P.S. Certain parts of Huber Heights, the southern part of Westerville and the western part of Reynoldsburg between Livingston and Main all kind of have the same "look". Why is this? These places were all developed by Charles Huber and Huber Homes.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cin...?pid=150606236

Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 PM

17 posts, read 20,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
P.S. Certain parts of Huber Heights, the southern part of Westerville and the western part of Reynoldsburg between Livingston and Main all kind of have the same "look". Why is this? These places were all developed by Charles Huber and Huber Homes.

Charles HUBER Obituary - Cincinnati, OH | The Cincinnati Enquirer
How interesting! My parents who live in Kettering, live in a "Huber home". Really, really cool information you have! I detest the style completely but never knew really why it was described this way.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM

233 posts, read 412,594 times
I think you will be fine in Pickerington, good schools and sports programs for your boys. More house for the money because it is east side.
Having said that no town is an island and the East side is not the best. I doubt you will find many OSU people living out there and people will quiz you on why you chose it. You won't find higher end shopping and restaurants and you will always be driving north, northeast and northwest for Easton, Polaris and nice restaurants.
Even Target type chain stores vary in quality by the surrounding communities.
If any of this bothers you bite the bullet and increase your housing budget for NE, North or NW suburbs.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebush1 View Post
I think you will be fine in Pickerington, good schools and sports programs for your boys. More house for the money because it is east side.
Having said that no town is an island and the East side is not the best. I doubt you will find many OSU people living out there and people will quiz you on why you chose it. You won't find higher end shopping and restaurants and you will always be driving north, northeast and northwest for Easton, Polaris and nice restaurants.
Even Target type chain stores vary in quality by the surrounding communities.
If any of this bothers you bite the bullet and increase your housing budget for NE, North or NW suburbs.
I'm not concerned with what people at OSU think....lol! I saw that there is a Longhorn, Roosters, and Red Robin near by? Those are all fine restaurants for us. We can't really increase our housing budget

When you say the East Side isn't the best what do you mean? I feel like I can't say what I'm really thinking on this forum because I will offend someone, but here it goes......I'm a little concerned that my kids will be going from schools that are not at all diverse (aka white) to schools that are more 50/50 mix. I have no experience with that myself either. The areas around here that are diverse have MUCH higher crime than the area I live. I'm trying to figure out if the same applies there? If that mix means higher crime rates then I don't want to live there.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 PM

I like Longhorn!
I mentioned there won't be many OSU people in case you want to network with them. They tend to live in Arlington, Grandview, Clintonville, areas north or NW.
I don't know the racial mix. Check school statistics for diversity and poverty rates . Poverty rates are very important but should not be high in Pickerington.
The east side has two upscale areas, Bexley and Pickerington. Both have good school systems and are very family oriented. Other east side areas are much less affluent with more crime. You will not find higher end shopping and eateries which doesn't sound like an issue for you.
I wouldn't buy in Whitehall, Reynoldsburg or the Columbus neighborhoods out there.

I've said from the beginning of this thread you will be fine in Pickerington and did not mean to alarm you.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:54 PM

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/OH/s...05/school.aspx

I did check and see that it is 68% white. If the other 32% is working class, kind people, then I'm okay with that. My area is a lot rougher than I think Columbus is, so typically those numbers would be very scary. I'm not sure why, but there aren't many working class or professional AA in my area? Seeing those numbers, and driving through the town doesn't match up to me. But again, I'm trying to realize that Columbus isn't Dayton.

You guys have been so patient and kind to me and my millions of questions, thank you.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebush1 View Post
I like Longhorn!
I mentioned there won't be many OSU people in case you want to network with them. They tend to live in Arlington, Grandview, Clintonville, areas north or NW.
I don't know the racial mix. Check school statistics for diversity and poverty rates . Poverty rates are very important but should not be high in Pickerington.
The east side has two upscale areas, Bexley and Pickerington. Both have good school systems and are very family oriented. Other east side areas are much less affluent with more crime. You will not find higher end shopping and eateries which doesn't sound like an issue for you.
I wouldn't buy in Whitehall, Reynoldsburg or the Columbus neighborhoods out there.

I've said from the beginning of this thread you will be fine in Pickerington and did not mean to alarm you.
Oh, you haven't alarmed me! In fact, I very much value your opinion after seeing your other posts, I tend to agree with everything you say..........hence why I'm seeking your advice!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Oh, you haven't alarmed me! In fact, I very much value your opinion after seeing your other posts, I tend to agree with everything you say..........hence why I'm seeking your advice!
https://www.city-data.com/income/inco...gton-Ohio.html

The incomes are pretty healthy in Pickerington. That's always a good sign.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
You will like Columbus once you get past the house hunting stage. It is very livable and family oriented. You will have ties to OSU, very important here. You are coming in during a hot real estate market which is driving up anxiety for many people.
I had an old friend, now deceased, who worked relocation real estate and she definitely showed Pickerington.
Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus