Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,486 times

Advertisements

Currently me, my boyfriend and our daughter live in Akron, OH which I've lived all my life. We are considering moving because it just seems like there are no jobs here. I have thought about moving to another state, but for now I would like to be closer to my immediate family who live in Akron also. I have heard that Columbus is really a nice city to live and the job market is very good? Can anyone tell me how true this is? I heard from someone that the State of Ohio is about to lay people off. Can you tell me what are some good areas are in Columbus with good schools? From some of the other posts - I take it that Columbus Public Schools aren't doing great? That is very important to me since our daughter will be starting kindergarden this year and want her to get a good education - she is in preschool right know and it's incredible how much she knows and have learned - I want that to continue. Right now we rent a 3 bedroom house for $550 and we pay all utilities. Also when recommending areas in Columbus can you let me know is it a "mixed" area? What I mean by that is this - we are black and I grew up in a mixed area of Akron - Firestone Park. I like that because that's how the world is and we get along with everybody. I would feel comfortable in an area like that with like-minded people. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! : )

Oh by the way - I also like the fact that Columbus has a couple well known natural and organic stores - Whole Foods, Trader Joes as well as quit a few organic and or vegan resturants/bakeries like Patty Cake Vegan Bakery. I am not vegan but I'm really starting to take notice of my health and my family by using natural or organic personal care products as well as my food. I have much respect for vegans but me personally just can't take that "leap" yet - love my dairy and my meat! Sorry! But when I do eat dairy products or meat - I am making sure it is organic or "naturally-raised."

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 PM

14,045 posts, read 27,297,171 times
Can't answer some of your questions but the east suburbs of Columbus tend to be a little more integrated than the west. At your price range I would probably be looking at Reynoldsburg, Gahanna and Westerville. All have decent schools and fairly reasonable prices for rent (though a couple of hundred more than you pay in Akron).

Gahanna, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Reynoldsburg, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Westerville, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus