Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM

127 posts, read 925,366 times

Advertisements

I've wondered this for quite a while now: Why is there such a luck of public transport in Columbus?
Yeah, there's COTA. But, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, it seems like it basically runs through the poorer parts of town and that's about it. The reliance on the ol' automobile is so great in Columbus, that traffic problems and commute times are really starting to get out of control in some spots, particularly on the north side of town. I was stuck yesterday at 315 and 750 in a line that went miles in all 4 directions!!!
Anyway, does anyone know if there has ever been a thought to expand the COTA routes through the city and surrounding suburbs? Also, has there ever been any thought to a light-rail service in the area close to downtown? Portland, Oregon (The MAX) has a wonderful model of how a light rail service can work really well. They have an extensive public transport system that allows you to get almost anywhere in the city without having to turn a key. With Columbus being such a 'forward thinking' type of place for businesses and different cultures why isn't this seriously considered???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM

150 posts, read 981,343 times
I agree! The area of 315/750 has been bad for years, and it seems to be getting much worse! Luckily I only take that route to get to the vet (the vet is so great it's worth the drive), but if I had to wait every day I would have some serious road rage.

I agree with your COTA observation. Although they have Park and Rides in the suburbs, I wonder how many professionals use the service. It's hard to believe Columbus doesn't have a better transit system. In addition to the environmental concerns (which oddly most people don't worry about), the price of gas is only going to go up!

My husband's office is downtown and we chose to live in Clintonville to minimize the commute. Well, short commute was a factor, but we also love the neighborhood. Life is too short to spend so much time M-F commuting! We have a hybrid and an SUV (cancel each other out) but 3-4 days per week my husband takes COTA. His experience is it's mostly professionals and students in the early morning, but the afternoons and Fridays can have a different crowd (although a lot of those people get off at the Plasma place).

I haven't heard about light rail or expanding bus service to the burbs, but I think I read they are purchasing more buses (whoopie). I don't know what it will take to get a real public transit system, but I'm sure it won't happen anytime soon. If only more people would get serious about it...

Streetcreed seems to keep up with planning and development-maybe he'll know more!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,675,761 times
This is actually a good post. I just got off COTA. COTA does run through other parts of town than poor parts. There are many well of areas of innercity Columbus. Clintonville, short north, neil ave., downtown, arena district, german village, grandview. All of those areas have decent bus service.

Quote:
Also, has there ever been any thought to a light-rail service in the area close to downtown?
Yes there was a ballot issue in 1999. It failed, barely. The tax increase would have been .25 percent and would have worked with federal funding to fund a light rail line from downtown to about Polaris.

However, COTA just passed a new tax levy this past year. It was for guess what?! .25 percent. And it passed. It is the same increase they sought for the light rail. However, it is years later and federal funding is no longer there. Thus, COTA is using this money to expand the bus servie and add new buses.

If Columbus is going to get lightrail it will happen after the city adds things like rapid transit and street cars in the central city first.

Also this has been talked about in this thread...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-columbus.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus