Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM

20 posts, read 49,923 times

Advertisements

So a few more things we are thinking about whilst considering our possible move to the area.

My wife was educated as an artist (printmaking) and (very generalized) likes modern art more than European renaissance / impressionism and so wondering what kind of art scene is there and what the galleries in columbus are like.

When i lived in england i enjoyed going to a lot of gigs - not so much stadium stuff but more like bands a lot of people would have heard of but won't fill an arena. It's been a while - the last gigs i went to now are the Killers in 2007 and the Kooks in 2008, both when i lived in Des Moines. What's the music scene like and are there good venues for mid size bands? Hows the local music scene?

We enjoy walking and will happily walk to get groceries, for work (if it's near enough) and just for walkings sake. My wife likes cty walking just to be out, i like it to go somewhere and am not someone who will drive 5 blocks for something, but i also really enjoy parks, as well as hiking round lakes or up hills. I know Columbus is flat, but what's it like for those things?

Also, we like to use public libraries and public transport. Are libraries and buses any good?

Starting to feel like i should have been on here looking stuff up months ago now, when i started looking at good places for us to be rather than waiting till the finial stages of the interview process. I'm sure Columbus has lots of great stuff, and maybe i spent too long reading the thread about what people don't like, so let me know about the above and o/ or any other cool things about Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM

48 posts, read 151,014 times
lady i know from England moved to Worthington,she loves it.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,267,759 times
Columbus is not a walkable city overall. But areas like German Village are close to downtown and other little shops. Good area by the way.

Based on your post, German Village or the Town Street Area would be good areas for you, to name a few.

Columbus and it's surrounding areas, like Worthington ( Known as Central Ohio) is an automobile city.

I would not rely to much on the bus system. I had to ride the bus on occasion when my car was down......UGH. It was not pleasant. I'm not saying it was god awful bad but it's not a city in which you want to make that your main form of transport, like I can in Chicago.

One thing I will say about Columbus is, it has a really good library system. Across the country funding has been cut for libraries so I am sure there has been a reduction in certain services like business hours. Overall, I really like they Libraries even better than Chicago's for certain things and services.

Columbus has several art galleries hidden in the nooks and crannies. I can remember walking past many Gallery opening's. While strolling downtown.

Music...so,so. Is about all I can say.

All in all, Columbus is a decent city. It's a good place to lay your roots. I think you'll like it. You can even travel to Cincinnati or Cleveland for sports, fun and entertainment in the summers.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus