Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 AM

11 posts, read 69,973 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm going to drive around Westgate for the first time today. There are a couple houses currently on the market that interest me, although I'm not yet in the market as a serious buyer. And I see many different threads in this forum that mention Westgate in passing as a possibility, but not whole lot of meat in regard to the truly good and truly non-so-good for those homeowners that are already there. So.

1. Is this place going to hold it's value? My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that anything beyond average appreciation in the area is an unrealistic expectation. But, I'm concerned about it LOSING its value given the area it's in.

2. Who's moving in and who's moving out? I'm all for diversity, but I want a safe neighborhood, a neighborhood that I can feel comfortable in. A neighborhood in which I can walk my dog in and feel ok about it. What about after dark? What's the park like after dark?

3. How does safety compare, say, to Old Town East currently?

4. This would be a starter home that I might want to sell in 5-10 years.

Thanks for everyone's help. I can't afford a whole lot, up to about 125, but I do want a home with character. I'm priced out of Clintonville, VV, GV, even Merion Village to a certain extent.

~Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Well, I took a drive through Westgate yesterday. Lots of nice little homes, I deal for a single person like me. Small yards too. But, there seemed to be quite a few homes for sale. I came back and checked out realliving.com and saw many, many homes for sale.

More than what I would have expected. Which certainly gives pause.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,824 times
I am waaaay late to respond to this post, but I find it hard not to post...

Westgate homeowners take great pride in their homes and the community. Yes, the area has some less than ideal areas around it, but the neighborhood itself is a safe and comfortable place to live. I have lived there since 2001 and have been quite happy. It boasts a strong Neighborhood Association <ahref="http://www.westgateneighborsassociation.org/">Westgate Neighbors Association</a> and an outstanding block watch. It also offers easy access to downtown, a terrific park and nearby restaurants and entertainment.

With regards to home values, we all know what is happening with real estate right now. As a licensed realtor, I can attest that Westgate holds its own with regards to value. Will your home appreciate 10% annually? No, and its unrealistic to expect that anywhere in the city. But 3-4% in normal times is not out of the question.

I must say, though, buy now! Prices are lower but I expect them to rebound nicely. Like you, people that truly shop the area find the character and charm at a price they can afford. We are already seeing an uptick in the neighborhood with several homes for sale going into contract. The first-time buyer credit is driving sales in the area and I think this will also raise prices pretty quickly.

You asked about the park and safety. I walk my dog several times a week and our normal route is around the park. I do this at any time of day or night and have always felt safe.

This is strictly a personal opinion, but I would not live in Old Towne East. I went to an open house the other day and found houses with the windows blown out all over the neighborhood. You will not find this in the community of Westgate.

Lastly, Westgate is becoming increasingly diverse, a change that I welcome! There are young and not so young, gay and straight, not to mention several ethnic backgrounds represented. The trend seems to be going younger. More and more elderly are moving out and inevitably, first time home buyers take their place.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone that is looking.

Best regards,
Wayne

Last edited by iwhenry; 05-05-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: text change

Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Quelle coincidence!

I haven't been in this forum in months (December of '08, to be exact) and I happen across this post, resurrected from the (very) distant past.

At any rate, I thought I'd share that I eventually bought a home in Merion Village, just a couple blocks from Schiller, with Thurman's and the Easy Street Cafe steps from the new abode.

I'm happy! It's a better fit for me, although I did consider Westgate for a time.

Good luck house hunting, everyone.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
At any rate, I thought I'd share that I eventually bought a home in Merion Village, just a couple blocks from Schiller, with Thurman's and the Easy Street Cafe steps from the new abode.
Great! Welcome to the central city of Columbus. Merion Village is surrounded by more stable areas over all and saw larger increases in property values before the economic recession.

Merion Village has some great homes for a good value.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivix898 View Post
Quelle coincidence!

I haven't been in this forum in months (December of '08, to be exact) and I happen across this post, resurrected from the (very) distant past.

I'm happy! It's a better fit for me, although I did consider Westgate for a time.

Good luck house hunting, everyone.

Good choice

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,134 times
My wife and I are currently purchasing a home in Westgate. We have spent the past half a year looking and really flipping a coin between this area and Clintonville. For the price, we were able to purchase a much nicer home with a great yard and steps to the park. I have done much research into this area and can only speak highly, because its all that I have found. After talking with past owners and current owners, anyone in Westgate is surly to be happy. Stable, and voted in the top 10 best neighborhoods of columbus, this one is a charmer. And like written before, more and more young and diverse professionals are making this place shine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: