Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM

21 posts, read 92,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Many people don't acknowledge crime in columbus because they don't know anything about columbus. So few are from here that they simply aren't aware what is happening in town, good or bad. I've met so many here who can tell you about everything they've done in chicago or new york last weekend but have no idea what's going on around the corner from their house, whether its a play or a murder. They just don't feel a sense of 'ownership' here to care enough to find out about these things. I mention local issues and people look at me as if I'm emotionally disturbed. They don't have a clue what I'm talking about. They don't even pretend to care. I've never encountered anything like it in the five U.S. cities I've lived in.
I completely agree with you. I have ownership in Columbus. That's why I want it to be the best city it can be. In order for that to happen it starts with people acknowledging what our problems are so we can fix them. Instead of pretending they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM

189 posts, read 399,782 times
There's been a huge spike in muggings around the OSU campus. I know a ton of people who have been mugged just this quarter, and not even in sketchy neighborhoods. They were walking in groups of 2 or 3 just off-campus. At first the university denied an increase in crime, but now the campus police have said things have gotten worse. It's time for the university and law enforcement to step it up.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
There's been a huge spike in muggings around the OSU campus. I know a ton of people who have been mugged just this quarter, and not even in sketchy neighborhoods. They were walking in groups of 2 or 3 just off-campus. At first the university denied an increase in crime, but now the campus police have said things have gotten worse. It's time for the university and law enforcement to step it up.
Crime usually goes up on campus when students return to school in the fall. It's not good, but as much as it is a criminal element taking advantage, it's also a lot of students who ignore their own safety and don't take basic, common sense precautions.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 AM

37 posts, read 102,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesmartcookie38 View Post
I'm pulling my numbers directly off City Data's website for each city. If you compare Columbus to Cleveland and to Cincy, Columbus has higher crime. You can compare Columbus to Ventura because the numbers I gave are per 100,000 people not the raw data so it's more of a percentage to account for the difference in population.
I can say from having lived all over Columbus and suburbs there is a LOT of crime going on. I gave examples from my neighborhood. I can also tell you I work close to the airport. My company has had 2 robberies in the past year. One was someone was stealing spare tires off cars, another person had their navigation device stolen out of their car. One coworker went to the gas station and as she was waiting in line to pay, the person in front of her was holding up the store. Columbus is NOT a safe place to live and work. Period.
The fact that they are only higher in burglary makes me believe Cincy/Cleveland police have a different definition of "burglary"

Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 AM

14 posts, read 45,670 times
So if I can summarize, it appears that one poster thinks Columbus is akin to Rio de Janerio and another poster thinks Columbus is the safest city this side of heaven. I guess I will summize that Columbus is somewhere between these two extremes. I am guessing that Columbus is just a typical big city that has crime problems but if you have common sense and know what areas of the city to avoid you will be OK. Is this a fair summary of Columbus?

Also please, I am really looking for parents of children in the suburban school districts and I really want their honest assessment of their children's education in these schools. Do they do a good job preparing children for college, is it safe, etc?

I understand this is a message board and it tends to dissolve into arguments on who is right and who is wrong, but I would really appreciate some good constructive feedback on my questions. Thank you all for your help, it is most appreciated.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco78 View Post
So if I can summarize, it appears that one poster thinks Columbus is akin to Rio de Janerio and another poster thinks Columbus is the safest city this side of heaven. I guess I will summize that Columbus is somewhere between these two extremes. I am guessing that Columbus is just a typical big city that has crime problems but if you have common sense and know what areas of the city to avoid you will be OK. Is this a fair summary of Columbus?

Also please, I am really looking for parents of children in the suburban school districts and I really want their honest assessment of their children's education in these schools. Do they do a good job preparing children for college, is it safe, etc?

I understand this is a message board and it tends to dissolve into arguments on who is right and who is wrong, but I would really appreciate some good constructive feedback on my questions. Thank you all for your help, it is most appreciated.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment (that Columbus is a normal city with normal problems). The neighborhoods I mentioned before were a mix of urban and rural and for the most part, you should have not have to deal with crime.

The top 10 schools/school districts based on state scores are (urban are inside 270, suburban are outside):
1. Dublin City Schools-suburban
2. Upper Arlington City Schools-urban
3. New Albany-Plain Local-suburban
4. Grandview Heights City Schools-urban
5. Bexley City Schools-urban
6. Oakstone Community School-urban
7. Hilliard City Schools-suburban
8. Worthington City Schools-urban
9. Columbus Prepatory Academy-urban
10. Westerville City Schools-surburban

Old 11-20-2011, 12:19 PM

465 posts, read 473,653 times
Obviously not. If it were no one would live in columbus.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM

465 posts, read 473,653 times
I don't "talk" to people on line. I read their writing and write something myself. It is vastly different from in-person conversation. If I'm willing to discuss the 'fabulousness' of chicago or NYC, or the wonders of indonesian music for example, many in columbus have plenty to say to me. It isn't me, or them, its columbus.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:58 PM

509 posts, read 781,135 times
to give the OP some perspective, Columbus is basically a bigger version of Omaha

Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
I live in the Old North (right in the middle of the city) and have never felt unsafe. Based on safety, I wouldn't hesitate to live in Clintonville, Campus, Short North, German Village, Victorian Village chunks of Northland, Bexley, UA, Marble Cliff, Downtown, Westerville, Dublin, Worthington, Arena District, Delaware, Hillard, Linworth. Gahanna and probably a dozen other neighborhoods in Columbus.

You gotta use sense. If a neighborhood looks dangerous it probably is. And I wouldn't walk down some dark alley at 3am while drunk (which is the "increase" in campus crime).

If I were moving to Columbus and wasn't sure about an area I would call the Public Information Office of the Columbus Police Department. Tell them the street. They will tell you how safe the area is.

Over 700,000 people live in Columbus. Very, very few of us walk around worried about being a crime victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus