Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,906,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
Exactly! This would be the perfect location for another big travel stop, given all of the truck traffic on a daily basis. Exit 19 would be perfect, as I always see trucks parked on the ramps at that exit because the Chevron there is at full capacity. Put a Pilot there, and there’s another source of economic gain for the area and a place for truckers to sleep further off from the freeway.
ABSOLUTELY!! Many of these truckers would even PREFER this area over MUCH BUSiER areas on I-85!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Spot on regarding Harris Co.

It's getting just weird how the county govt resists any commercial development.

The population is nearing 35k and the entire county doesn't have a modern full service supermarket, just dollar generals and one or two decades old independent grocery stores (nothing wrong with that, but get an Ingles, Kroger, Publix, Piggly Wiggly or even an IGA). That has to be the only county of its size in Georgia without one.

However, their stubborn ways is a benefit to Columbus, since most the Harris Co. population has to come into the city to buy anything.
Keep in mind that MOST of the people living in Harris County are from Columbus, or don't want the hassles of the "big" city!! To his or her own. People make choices and I don't judge folks who want to live out there.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
We don’t have one where I live. Our septic goes crazy when we get heavy rain ��. I had no idea that only 3 areas of the county had a sewage system. Hopefully we can get the funds to make our own, or hope for that extension of the Columbus one in 2022. Hopefully by then we can finally get some development up here.
People in Harris County, that escaped Columbus taxes, will be paying higher taxes and water bills in the future to build an expanded sewage system. If Harris County opts to tie into Columbus' system I hope that Columbus taxpayers don't end up on the short end of the stick, i.e. subsidizing Harris County residents at the expense of Columbus residents!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 AM

123 posts, read 110,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
People in Harris County, that escaped Columbus taxes, will be paying higher taxes and water bills in the future to build an expanded sewage system. If Harris County opts to tie into Columbus' system I hope that Columbus taxpayers don't end up on the short end of the stick, i.e. subsidizing Harris County residents at the expense of Columbus residents!
I could see that happening. Inevitably, it will have to come to fruition for our residents because the metro’s population is continuing to grow.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:50 AM

783 posts, read 1,162,862 times
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!! Many of these truckers would even PREFER this area over MUCH BUSiER areas on I-85!
Good points, from the truck driver perspective.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 PM

In terms of I-185 north, where do y’all think the best exit would be for a potential Love’s/Pilot for truck drivers and travelers headed north out of Columbus?

Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 PM

161 posts, read 170,813 times
Quote:
Harris has a small portion of the county connected to the Muscogee sewer system. It was completed as part of the Grove project.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCountryBoy View Post
Harris has a small portion of the county connected to the Muscogee sewer system. It was completed as part of the Grove project.
Gotcha. Is all the piping done with that yet or even been started? I read that it would connect to a water tower on the Harris-Muscogee county line, either going down I-185 or Smith and Fortson Rds.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,131 times
Kind of wasteful to push development on communities that don't want it don't you think? If you don't own real estate or pay property taxes to the county, you really have no say in telling them they need things they don't want. Alabama is a perfectly fine place for development because they've primed theirselves for the development because they want it. Go live there if you want to be part of the excitement or don't do things that puts you under scrutiny with the federal entities if you don't want to cross state lines regularly.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
Is this project finished yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA